Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 World Cup

I read about that before. The noise is doing my head in but if they ban them just because people at home on TV don't like them then it would be a disgrace. I hate the way TV rides roughshod of the people who have actually made an effort to go to the game rather than the ones who sit on their arses.
    LOVE UNITED HATE GLAZER

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    We already have three #1 sports.
    Football, NASCAR and....? Oh, yeah. The NFL draft.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterBroncoLUHG View Post
    I read about that before. The noise is doing my head in but if they ban them just because people at home on TV don't like them then it would be a disgrace. I hate the way TV rides roughshod of the people who have actually made an effort to go to the game rather than the ones who sit on their arses.
    I don't see anything in the article I posted that said the complaints are coming from people watching on tv. The article states that players have complained.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

If players are finding the noise distracting, and finding it affects their performance then ban the ********!

Us folk in TV land will just be happy too.

Come on NZ! This is the first WC the All Whites have been to since the 80's. We have a great team of young guys who are just stocked to be there, but they really want to do well too. They beat Serbia in a warm up game, so hopefully they can pull off some great upsets!
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

Adopted Bronco:

Default Chief organizer: Trumpet ban possible

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

The soundtrack to the World Cup has been a steady buzz, but the noise could soon be coming to an end.

South Africa's World Cup organizing chief Danny Jordaan said Sunday there is a chance vuvuzelas may be banned from inside stadiums after numerous complaints, BBC News has reported.

Asked whether he'd consider getting rid of the trumpets, he said: "If there are grounds to do so, yes. We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas for his team's poor showing in its opening 0-0 draw with Uruguay.

"We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas," Evra said. "People start playing them from 6 a.m. We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan said organizers are doing everything possible.

"We've tried to get some order," Jordaan said. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult, but we're trying to manage the best we can."

"I would prefer singing," he said.

The first-round contests introduced most of the world to the vuvuzela, a plastic trumpet carried into the matches and blown on incessantly by thousands of fans. On television, it sounds as if the game is being played before a nest of angry bees.

It's louder at the games than it is on the telecast. ESPN is altering the sound mix on its broadcasts to minimize the crowd noise, network spokesman Bill Hofheimer said. The network has accepted it as part of the atmosphere and has made no complaints about the vuvuzelas, he said.

The sound is driving others crazy, though.

"The constant drone of cheap and tuneless plastic horns is killing the atmosphere of the World Cup," wrote John Leicester, an international sports columnist for The Associated Press. He wrote that it is drowning out the oohs, aahs and cheers that lend excitement to the matches.

Plainly, many of the fans take pride in the tradition.

A website informing visitors about South Africa, www.safrica.info, describes the vuvuzelas as "a beautiful noise for the beautiful game."

Despite the noise the World Cup is causing quite a buzz on U.S. television.

Preliminary estimates indicate the quadrennial soccer tournament is off to a fast start with viewers, even with the odd, horn-blowing soundtrack that ESPN has sought to minimize on its broadcasts.

Saturday's first-round tie by the U.S. and English teams was seen by an estimated 13 million on ESPN, the Nielsen Co. said on Sunday. It was the nation's most-watched soccer telecast since the 2006 World Cup final between Italy and France, and the most-watched involving the U.S. men's national team since 1994.

San Diego, San Francisco and Las Vegas were the cities most interested in the game, according to the Nielsen figures.

A viewership estimate for the U.S.-England game on the Spanish-speaking Univision network was not immediately available.

An estimated 5.4 million people in the U.S. watched the tournament's first game Friday between Mexico and the South African home team on Univision, Nielsen said. ESPN's telecast of that game had 2.9 million viewers.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

World Cup organiser considers vuvuzela ban after TV complaints

Fifa says it will take action if it finds grounds to do so

Their cacophonous din has so far been a soundtrack for the World Cup, to the delight of some and the profound annoyance of others. But organisers said that the vuvuzela, one of the most visible and certainly most audible motifs of the tournament's opening weekend, could yet be banned from inside stadiums.

Organising committee chief executive Danny Jordaan said he would continue to monitor their use and that a ban could be enforced if there were "grounds to do so".

Fifa and organisers have already said that they will ban the instrument if any are thrown onto the pitch or used as a weapon and urged fans not to blow them during national anthems.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action. We've tried to get some order. We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can," he told the BBC.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."

The BBC and ITV have received complaints from viewers about the background noise and, while both have said they will monitor the situation, they have also made the point that it is important to reflect the atmosphere of the tournament.

Fifa has previously shrugged off complaints from broadcasters, players and coaches about the noise from the plastic horns that are being sold on every street corner in South African host cities.

Following last year's Confederations Cup, there were complaints from coaches, players and broadcasters about the noise. But Fifa said that the horns formed part of the unique African atmosphere of the tournament and refused to ban them.

But Jordaan himself, who battled for 16 years to bring the World Cup to South Africa, said he would prefer the 10 stadiums hosting the World Cup to ring to the sound of singing and dancing than the drone of the vuvuzela.

"I would prefer singing. It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing," he said.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-tv-complaints

I love Paddy Evra, he's probably my favourite United player at this moment but he knows better than to blame horns no matter how tacky they are. What would banning them in the ground do if he is talking about a lack of sleep because they are at it at 6am? As for can't hear each other on the pitch that is a ready made excuse if ever I've heard (or should that be not heard) one. If a player/team complained about not being able to hear because of singing they would be rightly laughed at, I don't see the difference, the fans are making a noise, it's football not tennis.

It is very annoying, there is no question about that, I hate them. But it is the South Africans way off creating an atmosphere. It's nothing new, the Conferation Cup was the same last year. Just because it isn't to everyone's taste doesn't mean it isn't an atsmosphere.
    LOVE UNITED HATE GLAZER

Go New Zealand! I hope we play a damned good game against Slovakia.
    I don't even mind if we lose, just as long as we don't get mauled like Australia did!

Our first World Cup game in 28 years!

Add me on Facebook!

8. The Following User High Fived Kapaibro For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Default Host broadcasters to 'filter' noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901?ver=us

JOHANNESBURG -- TV viewers can take out their earplugs -- the vuvuzelas are going to have a bit less buzz.

Host Broadcast Services, the company that provides the broadcast feed for the World Cup, said Tuesday it has doubled its audio filters to reduce the constant blaring buzz of vuvuzelas.

TV viewers around the globe have complained that the swarm-of-bees sound from the plastic horns is stinging their ears.

"Despite HBS' core philosophy, which is to provide 'realistic' host broadcast coverage reflecting the ambience in the stadiums, additional audio filtering has been implemented," according to the daily newsletter given to rightsholders Tuesday.

The filters also will minimize other crowd noise in the stadiums, such as chants and cheers.

Several broadcasters already had taken their own measures to reduce the drone. French broadcaster TF1 changed its microphones after the opening match between Mexico and host South Africa, replacing them with mics commentators hold close to their mouths to better filter sound.

The BBC, which had received 545 complaints from viewers as of Tuesday morning, said it is considering giving viewers the option of muting ambient noise while maintaining game commentary through its "red button" digital service. Viewers would push a red button on their remote controls to receive the quieter broadcast on a separate channel.

"We have already taken steps to minimize the noise and are continuing to monitor the situation," the BBC said in a statement. "If the vuvuzela continues to impact on audience enjoyment, we will look at what other options we can take to reduce the volume further."

The noise of the vuvuzelas has been the talk of the World Cup, so much so that British bookmaker William Hill is now taking bets on whether the horns will be banned at English Premier League stadiums next season.

"The vuvuzela certainly polarizes opinion, and we suspect that individual clubs will want to put a rule in place to enable them to ban them should they threaten to become widespread," Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe said.

Hill's also is taking bets that the vuvuzelas will be banned by the end of the World Cup. But FIFA president Sepp Blatter has strongly backed the use of the horns since they were introduced to the wider football world at the Confederations Cup test event in South Africa exactly a year ago, and he said again Monday they're here to stay.

The vuvuzelas are something uniquely African, and Blatter said he is not about to ban the music traditions of fans in their own country.

Several players said the din of the horns is having an impact on the field. Netherlands striker Robin van Persie avoided a second yellow card -- and a ban from the next game -- by blaming the vuvuzelas for failing to hear an offsides whistle.

Argentina striker Carlos Tevez said the din of vuvuzelas makes it hard for players to communicate with each other on the field.

"Those sirens or trumpets -- I don't know what they are -- make it very difficult to speak on the field," Tevez said after Argentina's training session Tuesday at the University of Pretoria. "You have to shout and sometimes you run out of breath, you get a bit more tired. They are extremely bothersome."

But van Persie said he doesn't want to see vuvuzelas banned.

"I think we have to respect it, because we are in South Africa, and we need to respect where we are," he said. "This is their tradition. This belongs to them."

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

I'll tell you what, I'd rather listen to the horns than the commentators 95% of the time. Can we ban them instead?
    LOVE UNITED HATE GLAZER

Yay!!!!

New Zealand gets its first World Cup points ever!

1:1 draw with Slovakia! Good job lads!

Add me on Facebook!

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Kapaibro For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    J.D. Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaibro View Post
    Yay!!!!

New Zealand gets its first World Cup points ever!

1:1 draw with Slovakia! Good job lads!
    What a goal!!! The third minute of stoppage time, clutch.

14. The Following User High Fived milehigh For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by milehigh View Post
    What a goal!!! The third minute of stoppage time, clutch.
    The bloody Australian press are trying to snag our lads!

Sydney Morning Herald had the headline

"Australasia 1: Slovakia 1"

Bloody Ozzies. Just because their team got mauled by Germany, they start sniffing around our lads!

Add me on Facebook!

18. The Following User High Fived Kapaibro For This Post:

I received a good text today.

Rob Green has trained today and in 3 hours he had 4000 shots fired at him and he did not concede a single goal. Tomorrow, him and Heskey will train with the rest of the squad.

LOVE UNITED HATE GLAZER

20. The Following User High Fived ManchesterBroncoLUHG For This Post:

The red card on the South African goal keeper was a horrible call. A penalty yes, a red card, no.

Diego Forlan played good today. I'm happy for Uruguay.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information