Thread: Hockey is back in the USA!!!!!!! Game 6 highest rating Finals game since 1974

Default Hockey is back in the USA!!!!!!! Game 6 highest rating Finals game since 1974

Game 6 Highest Rating Since 1974 Final!!!

Game 6 earns highest rating for NHL game since ’74
    2 hours, 50 minutes ago

Email Print NEW YORK (AP)—NHL television ratings have bounced back from the post-lockout doldrums—and way beyond.

The clincher of the Stanley Cup finals was the most-watched and highest-rated NHL game in 36 years. The Chicago Blackhawks’ 4-3 overtime win over the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 6, which earned them their first championship since 1961, drew a 4.7 rating and 8 share Wednesday night on NBC.

That’s the best since a 7.6/27 for Game 6 of the Boston-Philadelphia series in 1974. It was 38 percent higher than the 3.4/6 for last year’s Pittsburgh-Detroit Game 6 and 9 percent higher than the 4.3/8 for Game 7 in 2009.

The network said Thursday that the game was watched by 8.28 million viewers.

The series’ average rating was a 3.4/6, the best on network TV since Carolina-Detroit in 2002 and up 10 percent from last year.

“This has been a special year for hockey beginning with the Winter Classic continuing through the Olympics and ending with this incredibly exciting Stanley Cup final,” NBC Sports president Ken Schanzer said in a release.

Ratings represent the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned into a program. Shares represent the percentage of all homes with TVs in use at the time.

Game 6 drew a 32.8 rating and 50 share in Chicago, which means that half of all homes with televisions in use were tuned into the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Connect with Yahoo! Sports on Facebook for breaking news and exclusive contests and prizes.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

well I'm hAPPY FOR YOU.

4. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

people still have the winter Olympics feel in their blood. I forgot it was on.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

It might help if they actually televise the games.

I used to love hockey, but it's kind of hard to keep up when the games are never on.

8. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Default Damn strait!!!!!

A lot of good things came together for this years cup.....

Winter Olympics
    Huge market of Chicago
    Huge market of Philly
    Chicago not winning a cup in 42 years

Baseball sucks!

Get back on the map hockey, we love ya!!!! And the youth of America will not let you fail!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

10. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    It might help if they actually televise the games.

I used to love hockey, but it's kind of hard to keep up when the games are never on.
    It was on NBC so it is a national network. sometimes the versus crap does hurt but the final 2 games were on National TV

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    It was on NBC so it is a national network. sometimes the versus crap does hurt but the final 2 games were on National TV
    Yeah, but I mean the regular season too.

I would watch it, if I could.

13. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Yeah, but I mean the regular season too.

I would watch it, if I could.
    I agree, i wish espn for comcast sports net got the games on nationally. heck even the nhl network is better than versus, a station that nobody can find

Problem is, as much fun as hockey is to watch live, its just not made for TV.

Baseball is about as boring as you can get when watching on TV, I mean.. its only good if you intend to take a nap for the afternoon.. but its fun to got to a ball game.

Hockey just isn't made for television.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

16. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Problem is, as much fun as hockey is to watch live, its just not made for TV.

Baseball is about as boring as you can get when watching on TV, I mean.. its only good if you intend to take a nap for the afternoon.. but its fun to got to a ball game.

Hockey just isn't made for television.
    Agreed but with high def it is definately better than before.

Also if you know the sport it is more watchable.

problem is too many people have no idea of all the rules

icing,
    delayed offsides
    fighting is allowed.

cant hit the puck in the net above the crossbar.
    cant fire the puck in the crowd from your own zone without getting a penalty

if you tape your hands in a fight, match penalty and suspension.

and a million more.

I love hockey and miss it already

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    Agreed but with high def it is definately better than before.

Also if you know the sport it is more watchable.

problem is too many people have no idea of all the rules

icing,
    delayed offsides
    fighting is allowed.

cant hit the puck in the net above the crossbar.
    cant fire the puck in the crowd from your own zone without getting a penalty

if you tape your hands in a fight, match penalty and suspension.

and a million more.

I love hockey and miss it already
    They tried to make it easier for TV watching.. with the blue puck... problem was (imo) is they made the blue dot too big. Made the puck look slow and cartoonish. Itw as great when they added the "see through" look for the near wall shots when the camera couldn't see the puck. THEN, they added in the 'red stripe' or whatever it was... when they fired a puck really fast. Again, made it look slower than it really was with ridiculous cartoonish graphics. The idea of the chip imbedded in the puck was great . But all the TV needed was a smal, tiny dot that would move around the ice at the speed of the puck so that the TV could keep track . That, imo, would have been HUGE for the TV audiences.

19. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

The real problem is the apex of hockey videogaming was reached 23 years ago

They need to make another good hockey game, to kids interested again

21. The Following User High Fived ursamajor For This Post:

speaking of which, you can play it free online

http://nintendo8.com/game/618/blades_of_steel/

23. The Following User High Fived ursamajor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ursamajor View Post
    The real problem is the apex of hockey videogaming was reached 23 years ago

They need to make another good hockey game, to kids interested again
    lol

my favorite was

25. The Following User High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information