Thread: Alpha Protocol - 360/PS3

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Alpha Protocol - 360/PS3

Alpha Protocol (AP) is an espionage/stealth-action RPG developed by Obsidian and published by Sega, for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

As special agent Michael Thornton, you are initially sent to neutralize a terrorist who shot down an airliner with a stolen advanced missile system. After globe-trotting around the world in your mission, the web of intrigue becomes one of betrayal, conspiracy, and much more.

AP has been in a rough development cycle since I first started hearing about it in 08. Obsidian has made some top-notch games on the coattails of another publisher (KOTOR 2, NWN 2) to fantastic results, but theyre on their own here. The results are not good for a game that was so highly touted and anticipated.

One huge problem for AP is where we are in the gaming process in this generation of HD consoles. In these six months alone I have played some spectacular games. Mass Effect 2, God of War 3, Splinter Cell Conviction, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption... these are top-notch thrilling games in different genres that are highly polished. AP tries to do a lot of what some of these titles did (notably ME2 and SCC) and just doesn't stack up against such competition. The bottom line to me is that AP tries to do too much and compared to other games it tries to mirror, it fails miserably.

It has a dialogue system ala ME2 where you can change people's attitutdes and such, but it just feels like it's not natural and cobbled together. It doesnt feel right or flow like ME's did. It works, though.

The graphics are generally mediocre and seem like they should be from 2007. It looks like they had one motion capture model as almost all the characters look and move alike. The animation work is rough and shoddy at best.

The enemy AI is laughably terrible. It's so bad and predictable. It's like a PS1 game.

The personalities of almost all of the characters isnt deep. Especially your own. Thornton's voice and acting is wooden, his animation is stiff. He reminds me of a cheap Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter. If they were aiming for Sam Fisher, please stop NOW.

The controls feel clunky. The aiming and shooting is ok, but your gadget/skill/weapon menu is awful to navigate and couldve been much better.

There are minigames like Bioshock and ME to hack computers and disable alarms, but many are frustrating, especially the computer terminals. It should feel like a challenge, not a frustrating chore.

The sound is decent. The story is pretty good. I'll say that much.

There's just very little good to say about it. It's a mediocre title through and through but Ive played worse. If youre expecting what it was supposed to deliver, youll be disappointed beyond belief. If you can tolerate it's shortcomings, it's entirely playable. Just dont play any of the above mentioned games first. Maybe out of a bargain bin for $20, it's worth the playthrough.

4/10

Rated M for Mature- Blood, intense violence, strong language, sexual themes
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Alpha Protocol sequel shot down
    Sega nixes prospect of a follow-up, executive says game's "brilliant" concept didn't help sales.
    By Eddie Makuch
    GameSpot
    Jul 6, 2010

Since Obsidian Entertainment was founded in 2003, its only original title has been last month's espionage role-playing game, Alpha Protocol. However, it's unlikely that fans of Alpha Protocol will be getting more, as Sega today confirmed a sequel is not in the cards.

Sega West president Mike Hayes told CVG that despite the company's belief that the game's concept was "brilliant," sales did not follow. As such, a sequel has been ruled out.

"Let's speak very commercially; the game hasn't sold what we've expected, therefore we won't be doing a sequel," Hayes said. Hayes did not offer a specific sales figure for Alpha Protocol.

Further, Alpha Protocol gathered mixed reviews across the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC versions of the game, averaging between a 63 and 73 on GameSpot sister site Metacritic. Hayes said the game simply did not stack high enough (within the role-playing game genre) to warrant a sequel.

"You know this whole thing with Metacritic where you have to be in the high 70s to mid-80s minimum [to have any success]…well, with RPGs you have got to be in the late 80s."

Obsidian Entertainment's previous work consisted of taking over development duties on BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights series, as well as Sega's cancelled Aliens RPG project. The development house is currently working on Dungeon Siege 3 and Fallout: New Vegas

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6268271...es%3Btitle%3B4
    What an absolute JOKE. He blames review scores when the product was downright mediocre, save a for a few bright spots. SEGA shouldve admitted the flaws of their game rather than blame everyone else. I remember when SEGA was a gaming goliath, now theyre downright pathetic with so much trash. How far they have fallen.

I was really disappointed to find out this wasn't good. Like Hayes, I thought the concept was incredibly promising. Not that it matters much if the execution isn't there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I was really disappointed to find out this wasn't good. Like Hayes, I thought the concept was incredibly promising. Not that it matters much if the execution isn't there.
    The concept was good and it worked, but...

Mediocre game mechanics.
    Stealth was broken.
    Good voicework but terrible acting.
    Horrible inventory/skill menu.
    Dated graphics.
    Awful enemy AI.

One of the biggest problems was sites like IGN and Gamespot hyped it up as the next big thing, when it was so ****** up in so many ways. They do this all to often.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information