Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Let Tebow lead the Broncos past the Chargers

Default Let Tebow lead the Broncos past the Chargers

Let Tebow lead the Broncos past the Chargers
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 06/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow hands the ball off to 2-year-old Druezjuan Balke of Loveland on Saturday during the Broncos Kids Club event at Invesco Field at Mile High. (Hyoung Chang, The Denver Post )
    The Broncos have added a defensive line, beefed up their offensive front, subtracted locker-room distractions, received a softer schedule and zapped excitement into their fan base with their first-round selection of Tim Tebow.

They still have a major, perhaps even unsolvable problem: Philip Rivers.

The San Diego Chargers have Rivers and the Broncos don't.

Rivers alone explains why the Las Vegas Hilton Sports Book projects the Chargers to go 11-5 and win their fifth consecutive AFC West title while the Broncos are supposed to go either 7-9 or 8-8 and finish second in the division for a fifth consecutive season.

Peyton Manning is the NFL's best quarterback. Drew Brees is second-best. Rivers is third.

Tom Brady, the top quarterback as recently as 2007? Give his moxie and big-game credentials a slight edge over Aaron Rodgers, who otherwise is the superior passer, for No. 4.

Next, in order, are Ben Roethlisberger, despite his four- to six-game suspension; Brett Favre, despite his 40 years of age; and Matt Schaub, despite his relatively skinny resume.

The quarterbacks rounding out the top 10 depend on whether the criteria is past production (Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo) or future promise (Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Matt Cassel, Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Vince Young, Matt Leinart).

Kyle Orton is closer to but not quite there with the McNabb-Eli group. Brady Quinn is closer to but a bit removed from the Flacco- Sanchez group.

Either way, Rivers is way, way up there. Rivers, as much as any other factor, explains why the Broncos went for Tebow.

In the past four years, the Chargers by and large whipped the Broncos in two ways: Beat 'em up and outgunned them.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders have done a nice job adding heavyweights to their defensive front seven and offensive line. Now, when the Chargers want to yap

ALL THINGS BRONCOS BLOG

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.

and slug it out, the Broncos can match them salvo-for-punch.
    "Everything we do in trying to improve our football team keeps in mind we are going to have to compete with them," McDaniels said after the draft.

Matching Rivers, though, may take awhile.

The numbers Rivers has put up against the Broncos in his four seasons as the Chargers' starting quarterback are startling: 137-of-200, 1,963 yards, 14 touchdown passes, three interceptions and a ridiculous 117.1 rating. That's a per-game average of 17-of-25 for 245 yards and roughly two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Over those same four seasons, Broncos quarterbacks — Orton, Cutler, Jake Plummer and Chris Simms — combined for nine TD passes, eight picks and a 77.8 rating against the Chargers.

Again, Rivers 117.1, Broncos QBs 77.8. That's nearly a 40-point rating difference in quarterback play. Still wondering why the Chargers are the four-time defending AFC West champs?

And that's just in the eight head-to-head meetings. Where the Chargers have trumped the Broncos the past two years, anyway, is against the AFC West doormats.

Rivers has never lost to the Oakland Raiders. Al Davis has gone away smirking in each of the past three seasons against the Broncos. In the last two of those Raiders wins, Broncos quarterbacks got outplayed by JaMarcus Russell.

In Tebow, McDaniels believes he has a quarterback who can eventually match Rivers. Maybe not pass per pass, but play per play.

It's too much to expect Tebow to keep up with Rivers this season. But maybe by 2011, Tebow can stare down Rivers and mix in 190 yards passing with a touchdown and 55 yards rushing with another touchdown. There's the offset to the typical Rivers game against the Broncos.

Before he can beat Rivers, though, Tebow has to win over his locker room.

"When you earn respect from people, then they begin to like you, and then they believe in you, and then they begin to love you, and then you have a team that is united and cares about each other more than anything else," Tebow said in a backroom session with The Denver Post. "And then you go out there and you play for each other, you play for your coaches and you win championships."

Listen to the guy. To beat Rivers, the Broncos had to come up with a different way. Tebow is the way.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15236379

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Rivers 3rd? They must have some gooooood stuff down there in Denver. Tom Brady has more superbowl wins then Rivers has playoff wins. I'm looking forward to Doom kicking his ass again this year.

4. The Following User High Fived broncobryce For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by broncobryce View Post
    Rivers 3rd? They must have some gooooood stuff down there in Denver. Tom Brady has more superbowl wins then Rivers has playoff wins. I'm looking forward to Doom kicking his ass again this year.
    If your talking about career production & achievements, then your right. An comparison between Brady & Rivers is no contest. Only a Chargers fan equivalent of OR would argue to the contrary. I can see it now..."And yes, Rivers is better then Elway!"

As far as what I might expect of the 2 this year, I can only give Brady credence for so much of what he did prior to him practically missing the entire 2008 season due to injury. Here are the number of Rivers & Brady. I also through in our very own Orton just for fun.

Rivers: 317-486, 4254 yds (9.1 y/a) (13.4 y/c), 28 TDs (5.8 TD%) & 9 Int (1.9 Int%) Team: 13-3, DF: 1st, eliminated: 2nd Rd.
    Brady: 371-565, 4398 yds (7.8 y/a) (11.9 y/c), 28 TDs (5.0 TD%), & 13 Ints (2.3 Int%) Team: 10-6, DF: 1st, eliminated: 1st Rd.
    Orton: 336-541, 3802 yds (7.0 y/a) (11.3 y/c), 21 TDs (3.9 TD%) & 12 Ints (2.2 Int%) Team: 8-8, DF: 2nd, eliminated: Wk 17.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/

Rivers out performed Brady in every statistical category. Yes, Brady threw of 144 more yards and the same number of TDs, but he did so on 79 more attempts. As far as Orton, well he did edge out Brady in Ints. So I guess those bubble screens are good for something.

Seriously, Rivers and Brady are both elite QBs and are pretty close to equal in how I expect to see them perform this upcoming season. Rivers' numbers were better then Brady's last year, but Brady was coming back from an almost year long injury & Rivers also had a much better supporting cast. I'll take an over the hill LT over any RB that NE had last year. As far as which QB has a history of making us look worse? Its no contest, Rivers.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Phyllis Rivers has faced a Denver defense that has been virtually a hapless clown of a joke for far, far too long. That's the problem when the head-to-head meetings are concerned.

SD will not be year-to-year AFC West Champions forever. Someone will eventually usurp them.

I hope it's Denver before KC or Oakland.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

7. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Phyllis Rivers has faced a Denver defense that has been virtually a hapless clown of a joke for far, far too long. That's the problem when the head-to-head meetings are concerned.

SD will not be year-to-year AFC West Champions forever. Someone will eventually usurp them.

I hope it's Denver before KC or Oakland.
    Oakland is a lost cause as long a Al is in charge.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

9. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Oakland is a lost cause as long a Al is in charge.
    I wasnt going to include da Rayduhhz, but they are in the AFC West.

They unfotunately beat Denver's brains in some must-win games.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I wasnt going to include da Rayduhhz, but they are in the AFC West.

They unfotunately beat Denver's brains in some must-win games.
    That has been the must frustrating aspect of our team for the past several years. It's one thing for us to struggle against the Chargers, but the Raider?

12. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

I'm a big believer in letting Tebow play as soon as possible. IMO this is not a Super Bowl (or maybe even playoff) caliber team so why not let the kid get some experience while the team builds around him? This is a young offensive team and they might as well experience the growing pains together. I think it will make them all better in the end.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I'm a big believer in letting Tebow play as soon as possible. IMO this is not a Super Bowl (or maybe even playoff) caliber team so why not let the kid get some experience while the team builds around him? This is a young offensive team and they might as well experience the growing pains together. I think it will make them all better in the end.
    If I thought he was ready to play I'd almost go with this.

But there are dangers to it also. while he is supremely confident young man of good character he has some other things he has to correct before getting ripped by the press and fans because he was not ready Mentally in the game and speed at this level.

When he gets the plays down and makes few mistakes then maybe till then. Better for him to see it from the sidelines.

As for the throwing actions lets get him as many reps as we can before throwing him to the wolves.

If we did not have two VETS in front of him then I might be easier to be persuaded.

16. The Following 5 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    If I thought he was ready to play I'd almost go with this.

But there are dangers to it also. while he is supremely confident young man of good character he has some other things he has to correct before getting ripped by the press and fans because he was not ready Mentally in the game and speed at this level.

When he gets the plays down and makes few mistakes then maybe till then. Better for him to see it from the sidelines.

As for the throwing actions lets get him as many reps as we can before throwing him to the wolves.

If we did not have two VETS in front of him then I might be easier to be persuaded.
    Yeah, you make some good points, but I go back to the early 90's Cowboys. They, and Aikman in particular, were horrible, but they learned a lot. If he lived through it Tebow would be a better QB at the end of the year than at the beginning. I'm just not sure that the Broncos are going to be in a position to challenge even with either Orton or Brady at the helm.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Yeah, you make some good points, but I go back to the early 90's Cowboys. They, and Aikman in particular, were horrible, but they learned a lot. If he lived through it Tebow would be a better QB at the end of the year than at the beginning. I'm just not sure that the Broncos are going to be in a position to challenge even with either Orton or Brady at the helm.
    probably correct but aikman lost a few years of his career getting the crap knocked out of him also.

WHo knows how many sacks he had or hits in those few years.

BUT again he was surrounded by studs all over the team. with all the draft choices they got from MIN and the ones they had from stinking up the league for a few years, he played on a loaded team, that almost anyone could have coached to the SB, wait they were so good even the clown that replaced Jimmy won one.

I'd rathe have tebow watch and learn for a year or so before he is thrown to the wolves.

19. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

McDaniels keeps eluding to how well Tebow is doing and that he has chance to start. If he proves in camp that he can the run offense competently I don't think McDaniels will hesitate to start him.

21. The Following 5 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    McDaniels keeps eluding to how well Tebow is doing and that he has chance to start. If he proves in camp that he can the run offense competently I don't think McDaniels will hesitate to start him.
    As well as he should. Manning started his first year so if Tebow is the guy of the future and is the better QB come the start of the season throw him in there and get his feet wet. Its not like we are SB bound anyway.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Let's be serious here.

Manning was the #1 #1 of his draft the best of the best,NFL ready.

While Tebow in some folks minds was a third round project.

Let the hat for jays replacement go.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Let's be serious here.

Manning was the #1 #1 of his draft the best of the best,NFL ready.

While Tebow in some folks minds was a third round project.

Let the hat for jays replacement go.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Three things:

1.) Whoopied do some people thought Tebow was 3rd round pick and others thought he was a 1st rounder.

2.) You really need to get over yourself and stop trying bait people. Talking about Tebow possibly starting hasn't got a damn thing to do with Cutler.

3.) Btw Joe Flacco was draft 18th overall in 2008 out a Division I AA school and he started immediately.

For some it's time to wake and smell the coffee.

26. The Following 5 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information