Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NBA Thoughts

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    That’s the best joke NTL has ever made.
    Technically, it was Kenny Mayne who made the joke. NTL is our Carlos Mencia.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Technically, it was Kenny Mayne who made the joke. NTL is our Carlos Mencia.
    That’s harsh. NTL had the deadpan one liner to set it up.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

At worst, NTL is Daniel Tosh here.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

At worst, NTL is Daniel Tosh here.
    I'll settle for that!

5. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Bill then doubled down on it on Twitter and is getting an all time ratio over it. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard he or Ryen say.
    You know, I think I understand what they’re saying and where they’re coming from. I don’t agree. I find it fascinating, but they’re right in that none of this stuff with Rodman is new, whereas there were always stories about the other stuff but Jordan, Pippen and Jackson don’t talk about it as much as Rodman has. I think they’re point is mostly coming from the perspective of people who were deep in the NBA at the time and we all knew this stuff at the time. There’s been a book, a documentary, and interviews beyond belief about and with Rodman. Hell, doesn’t he still go on Stern, regularly? Now, I didn’t read the SI cover story or the tabloids at the time, so I find the stories fascinating, but this Rodman stuff really isn’t new. So, yeah, I think I get it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I completely agree with Simmons on the rebounding thing. The doc spent maybe three minutes on the rebounding, and that’s maybe the most fascinating thing for basketball fans, and never gets talked about because he was so weird. So, as a basketball nerd, when he starts talking about practicing the ball coming off the rim differently from different guys and from different spots is super fascinating, but because he’s such a weird dude, that crazy thing only gets three minutes while Carmen Electra gets half an hour. Not that everyone doesn’t want to look at Carmen Electra for a half hour, but I kind of get that.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I didn't realize that Dennis Rodman was an actual all-time great basketball player - or at least that's how I interpreted the way the episode covered him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I didn't realize that Dennis Rodman was an actual all-time great basketball player - or at least that's how I interpreted the way the episode covered him.
    He’s not a pantheon guy, like All NBA Top 50 (or whatever they call that thing), but he was one of the greatest rebounders and defenders ever. It gets overshadowed in the public eye because of the weird shit, and I kind of think that’s Russillo’s point. He was the greatest rebounder I’ve ever seen. Truly amazing. (I obviously didn’t see Russell)

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

You know, I think I understand what they’re saying and where they’re coming from. I don’t agree. I find it fascinating, but they’re right in that none of this stuff with Rodman is new, whereas there were always stories about the other stuff but Jordan, Pippen and Jackson don’t talk about it as much as Rodman has. I think they’re point is mostly coming from the perspective of people who were deep in the NBA at the time and we all knew this stuff at the time. There’s been a book, a documentary, and interviews beyond belief about and with Rodman. Hell, doesn’t he still go on Stern, regularly? Now, I didn’t read the SI cover story or the tabloids at the time, so I find the stories fascinating, but this Rodman stuff really isn’t new. So, yeah, I think I get it.
    But Russillo's point was that Rodman is "boring" and shouldn't have had an episode about him. I think that's kind of a ridiculous take. I think they are also kinda missing the point of who this doc is for. I think it's mostly to teach people about that era who aren't experts on it. Sure if you're super familiar with that time a lot of that will seem repetitive, but it's pretty fascinating stuff if you're seeing most of it for the first time.

Also, in a 10 part series where each part focuses on a different person from that team, it's just preposterous to say one of those shouldn't be devoted to Rodman.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I completely agree with Simmons on the rebounding thing. The doc spent maybe three minutes on the rebounding, and that’s maybe the most fascinating thing for basketball fans, and never gets talked about because he was so weird. So, as a basketball nerd, when he starts talking about practicing the ball coming off the rim differently from different guys and from different spots is super fascinating, but because he’s such a weird dude, that crazy thing only gets three minutes while Carmen Electra gets half an hour. Not that everyone doesn’t want to look at Carmen Electra for a half hour, but I kind of get that.
    I agree the defense/rebounding thing was fascinating, and I can see how basketball junkies like those two would be mad that they glossed over that and spent a lot of time on his eccentric stuff, but again, I don't think this was made for basketball junkies. My wife enjoyed the Rodman part, and would have fallen asleep had they spent 30 minutes on rebounding technique. I have no issue with that decision.

15. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Damn!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 7.19.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	16825

19. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Mid 80s to Early 2000s was the 'greatest' generation of NBA basketball.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Mid 80s to Early 2000s was the 'greatest' generation of NBA basketball.
    What was it like to watch Magic vs. Bird?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    What was it like to watch Magic vs. Bird?
    This is why I watched....Bird & Magic. Isaiah Thomas. Then, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Michael Jordan, etc.

To answer your question....I loved the NBA back then.

24. The Following 4 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information