Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Town hall discussion on procedures for banning and suspension

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I suggest that the one who that starts the mud slinging 1st gets in more trouble then the guy who is simply defending himself. And the mods have to be fair and unbiased.
    Yes, I agree whole heartedly.

Someone who starts throwing shit should get less leniency.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I appreciate that sentiment, but I am a firm believer in this being a community and the community discussing how we should do things, and then I attempt to implement what the community "as a whole" wants. I am not a believer in one person making the decisions for a message board/online community.
    I agree, T, but you also can't let the inmates run the asylum.

Just a thought.

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    you know your mods , their temperament ...... you know if they will treat members the way you want to be treated
    This is true, Spider.

From my perspective (limited like everyone's)....

Mods range broadly in temperament and personality.

I would be more concerned if suspension/bannings are left in their hands, it will cause dissention between them as mods. Not so worried about the members on this as I am them. I guess that's why I personally lean towards "the jury". I'm not for the infraction system, but then I still have a bad taste in my mouth about that coming from the other board. If we used the infraction system here, how would it differ? That was a sore subject for many who came over to this site and some other issues surrounding it. I say this without ever receiving an infraction, just watching a board get torn a part due to 'policy' basically.
    Last edited by Jody; 05-27-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Any infraction, banning or warning I have ever recieved I deserved. I trust Tned, so whatever he thinks is what I think. I also think he is very handsome.

Beef

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

No one Mod should ever have the power of banning all to themselves. If there is a poster getting out of hand then perhaps a temp suspension to simply pause the problem but the decision should be yours as the admin or the mod group as a whole whether it is a lengthy or perm ban.

Just my

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

• A group of forum members (jury if you will) that have been pre-selected in some manner, will be presented with all non-emergency banning situations and 'based on the forum rules' determine whether and suspension/banning is in order and for how long (possibly with guidelines for x number of warnings before suspending). For this to work, the group would have to be preselected and large enough to ensure that when they were presented with a situation, enough of them would respond with a vote of yes/no on the suspension within x hours (12 or 24), so that a reasonably quick resolution could be arrived at.
    • An infraction system like Broncos Country uses and Broncosfreak used to use, in which thresholds (when suspensions will occur) are clearly publicized, as well as the values for each and all infractions. This is built in to vBulletin, and thousands of message boards use. When implemented correctly, it is probably the closest manner of taking emotion out of the banning process and at the same time creating both a system of warning people when they are getting close, but also quickly taking action.

I never had the problem that others had with infraction system that others from Broncomania did however, I prefer the jury method over letting the mods be the police, judge and jury.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ninja of the Nasty

I appreciate that sentiment, but I am a firm believer in this being a community and the community discussing how we should do things, and then I attempt to implement what the community "as a whole" wants. I am not a believer in one person making the decisions for a message board/online community.
    well Tned , i think you know me well if enough to know if I felt something was unfair , I would come right out with it ..... I think I have pushed the envelope here more then anyone else , I havent had a single run in with a mod yet . though I am getting better with my "Personal attacks "I still have a ways to go
    Ice road trucking is for wimps

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I never had the problem that others had with infraction system that others from Broncomania did however, I prefer the jury method over letting the mods be the police, judge and jury.
    There's another point that goes along with this that should be considered, TX....they are also avid posters and deeply involved in discussions that do not bring objectivity to the table...possibly.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Jody For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ninja of the Nasty

Actually Tned , I think you have a fair group of Mods here , even including the kool aid thing give them the benefit of doubt untill they give you a reason not to

15. The Following User High Fived Spider For This Post:

KCL

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I agree, T, but you also can't let the inmates run the asylum.

Just a thought.
    That's why support the idea of having jury of peers make the decision. I don't think its a good idea to have moderators make decisions like this with no way to appeal it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    There's another point that goes along with this that should be considered, TX....they are also avid posters and deeply involved in discussions that do not bring objectivity to the table...possibly.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Actually Tned , I think you have a fair group of Mods here , even including the kool aid thing give them the benefit of doubt untill they give you a reason not to
    I agree wholeheartedly about having a fair group of mods. This discussion is in no way meant to be a negative reflection on them, but instead the natural way we proceed here at Broncosforums.

It is an issue that has been on the table, both as a town hall item and as a mod group item for some time. We implemented some internal "temp banning guidelines" to buy us time until we could come up with permanent, but we have now been around (9 months or so) long enough that we need to establish some rules.

For instance, even with the temporary time out, among our mods, we would have a fairly wide disparity in 'when' the trigger would be pulled. That is simply human nature.

So, we have a few things we need to address.

• Should a single mod be able to give a timeout or 24 hour suspension, and if so, should there be guidelines as to what warrants that, or should it be a pure judgement call (currently there are loose guidelines as to what constitutes an emergency and this was defined when the advisory board was in effect).
    • What procedure (points, multiple warnings, a vote of some kind) should be used to determine longer (past 24 hours/timeout) suspensions of 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, perm ban, etc.
    • Should there be a warning or x warnings before any suspension is given.
    • Etc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ninja of the Nasty

I agree wholeheartedly about having a fair group of mods. This discussion is in no way meant to be a negative reflection on them, but instead the natural way we proceed here at Broncosforums.

It is an issue that has been on the table, both as a town hall item and as a mod group item for some time. We implemented some internal "temp banning guidelines" to buy us time until we could come up with permanent, but we have now been around (9 months or so) long enough that we need to establish some rules.

For instance, even with the temporary time out, among our mods, we would have a fairly wide disparity in 'when' the trigger would be pulled. That is simply human nature.

So, we have a few things we need to address.

• Should a single mod be able to give a timeout or 24 hour suspension, and if so, should there be guidelines as to what warrants that, or should it be a pure judgement call (currently there are loose guidelines as to what constitutes an emergency and this was defined when the advisory board was in effect).
    • What procedure (points, multiple warnings, a vote of some kind) should be used to determine longer (past 24 hours/timeout) suspensions of 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, perm ban, etc.
    • Should there be a warning or x warnings before any suspension is given.
    • Etc.
    fair enough and thats why I am still here .... things are pretty fair ......
    Maybe Verbal warning then a 24 hour ban , then a 72 hour ban , then a 30 day etc ......Although i dont think there should be stipulations on a 24 ban , if a poster feels he /She / It/ has been banned unjustly , they can come ot town hall and plead their case

Adopted Bronco:
    Jay Cutler

I think that Tops had done a superb job. Can't say the same about the other mod who is pretty active here and actually gets involved in the drama.

21. The Following User High Fived Nature Boy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I think that Tops had done a superb job. Can't say the same about the other mod who is pretty active here and actually gets involved in the drama.
    NB. Last warning. Provide input on the topic, which is about banning procedures and NOT your opinion of the mods.

23. The Following 8 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information