Demaryius Thomas

Default Broncos' Thomas' Twitter remarks stir pot

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15178887

Broncos' Thomas' Twitter remarks stir pot
    WR's Twitter talk roils Broncos camp
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 05/28/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Demaryius Thomas and his broken foot were all a-Twitter.

And then — poof! — the tweets disappeared.

Thomas, the Broncos' first draft pick and No. 22 overall last month, wrote on his Twitter account Monday: "Bout 2 to get some xrays!"

A couple of hours later, Thomas tweeted: "Sad."

By Wednesday, those messages were removed from his Twitter account.

Conspiracy theorists lit up the Internet message boards. Calling all Twitters! Calling all Twitters!

Thomas' back-to-back tweets, and the subsequent removal of them, immediately raised reminders of the risks involved in using a first-round draft pick on a receiver with a broken foot. Thomas has been sidelined since breaking the fifth metatarsal in his left foot while training for the NFL scouting combine in February.

But a Broncos source said that upon closer inspection, the tweets were several hours apart and unrelated. The team had no official comment, but the source said, "I can assure you 100 percent that there was nothing 'sad' about his recent X-rays."

The source also said that once Thomas realized his Twitter followers would connect one message with the next, the rookie receiver decided to remove the messages.

Welcome to the local NFL fishbowl, kid.

Thomas did not return calls seeking clarification of his tweets. As the Broncos were practicing Thursday, Thomas walked from the weight room to inside the team's cafeteria.

When did he expect to join the Broncos' offseason practice sessions?

"I don't know," he said before sliding inside the cafeteria doors.

Already, Thomas' recovery has taken longer than hoped. When he first suffered the injury, Thomas' agent, Todd France, told SI.com that "Demaryius will be 100 percent by the time OTA's [organized team activity] begin."

But when Broncos rookies gathered for their first camp in late April, Thomas said he didn't think he would be ready until June.

Regardless of whether Thomas' X-rays were "sad" or there was "nothing sad" about them, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels indicated training camp, which begins the final week of July, would be the target date for all his players recovering from foot injuries.

In addition to Thomas, rookie receiver Eric Decker, who was taken in the third round, is recovering from a lisfranc fracture on his left foot, and veteran right tackle Ryan Harris is returning from a fractured big right toe. Harris is expected back next week, if only on a limited basis.

"If there is a guy that is borderline-ready or not ready, we're not going to push it," McDaniels said. "We've told all those players that August is the time we want you to be ready to go, and if they're all ready, we'll be excited to see them out there. They're all taking a bunch of mental reps, they're in all the film sessions, so they're seeing all the things we're doing and getting all the info. Hopefully, everyone will be healthy by August."

Even if Thomas and Decker are completely recovered by August, because of their lack of training time it would be surprising if they're able to contribute significantly in September, the first month of the regular season.

"Like all rookies, they've got a long way to go and need to get on the field as fast as possible," Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton said. "These OTAs are certainly big for rookies. You get the chance to run the same plays over and over and over again."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

it's all part of the master plan to take the league by surprise !
    code name "rocky mountain thunder"......shhhhhhhh

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Id rather thomas was a flop right away vs a continual flop that my hopes go up and down over.

If his foot is never going to be right, I hope we find out right away.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

5. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Id rather thomas was a flop right away vs a continual flop that my hopes go up and down over.

If his foot is never going to be right, I hope we find out right away.
    thats a multi-million dollar foot.....they'll fix it !

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    thats a multi-million dollar foot.....they'll fix it !
    Not yet its not! Hopefully it is a 100% before we pay his ass!

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

all part of bowlens "discount shopping"
    draft injured players and sign them cheap + use a 1st on tebow ,who will play for the love of the game and does'nt believe in earthly treasures !

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    all part of bowlens "discount shopping"
    draft injured players and sign them cheap + use a 1st on tebow ,who will play for the love of the game and does'nt believe in earthly treasures !
    Problem is I cant think of an injured player that has worked out for us. I guess you could say harris, but he is oft injured anyway.

I dont like the boo boo bears. Id take a bad attitude before I took a foot injury. At least you can trade a bad attitude.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Problem is I cant think of an injured player that has worked out for us. I guess you could say harris, but he is oft injured anyway.

I dont like the boo boo bears. Id take a bad attitude before I took a foot injury. At least you can trade a bad attitude.
    No Shit!

And with our outstanding medical team Thomas is SCREWED. lmao

14. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

**** Twitter. I hate when TW causes panics and commotions. It should be in their contracts they cant use these social sites for game or season related stuff.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

16. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

wtf?

Sounds to me like they don't even know what's wrong with his foot or how it's healing....

Think the Cowboys would swap him for Dez Bryant?

The insistence on the part of the team that the foot post and "sad" post aren't related is a bit alarming to me.

I get the feeling his foot is not healing well, if at all, and there are going to be issues with it going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    The insistence on the part of the team that the foot post and "sad" post aren't related is a bit alarming to me.

I get the feeling his foot is not healing well, if at all, and there are going to be issues with it going forward.
    This injury seems "mysterious" to me. I didn't here much about it at all on draft day, just that he had a "minor foot thing" that would be resolved in no time. Not only is he still out, but I haven't even heard any specific details about this "foot injury". Is it his toes, his ankle, or what exactly? Do they even know? And now it's possibly showing no signs of healing?

Do we even know what's up with Eric Decker's "foot injury"?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    This injury seems "mysterious" to me. I didn't here much about it at all on draft day, just that he had a "minor foot thing" that would be resolved in no time. Not only is he still out, but I haven't even heard any specific details about this "foot injury". Is it his toes, his ankle, or what exactly? Do they even know? And now it's possibly showing no signs of healing?

Thomas broke the 5th metatarsal in his left foot.

Thomas has been sidelined since breaking the fifth metatarsal in his left foot while training for the NFL scouting combine in February.

21. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    **** Twitter. I hate when TW causes panics and commotions. It should be in their contracts they cant use these social sites for game or season related stuff.
    I love twitter. Id much rather hear it from the horses mouth than the company line PR guy.

23. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post

Thomas fractured his 5th metatarsal. Decker had a lisfranc injury on his left foot. The 5th metatarsal is the long bone on the edge of your foot that connect to the pinky toe. Fractures can be common but that is the problem! Once fractured, it becomes more problematic with time. The question is the type of fracture: Mid shaft, Jones, or avulsion.

I think the article in the OP mentioned the actual injuries. Like you mentioned, it is the first any real details have been posted on the injuries.

We know how this regime handles injury information. We will be forced to see what TC brings.

25. The Following 4 Users High Fived jhildebrand For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information