Thread: Updating the Collection

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Updating the Collection

I'm an avid listener of 96.5 The Buzz in Kansas City, which one of the leading alternative rock stations in the country...along with its sister station KNDD in Seattle despite both being owned by a conglomo...

Anyway...I know all the alt-rock bands, but haven't bought a lot of their albums...and I'm looking to update the collection, so I'm wondering about who your favorite alt-rock bands are.

I'm thinking about starting with the Raconteurs two albums, and Elephant and Icky Thump(White Stripes...not sure why i don't own those)...

Spoon would also be a starting off points for me, maybe some Killers. Anyway, any alt-rock fans around here?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I'm an avid listener of 96.5 The Buzz in Kansas City, which one of the leading alternative rock stations in the country...along with its sister station KNDD in Seattle despite both being owned by a conglomo...

Anyway...I know all the alt-rock bands, but haven't bought a lot of their albums...and I'm looking to update the collection, so I'm wondering about who your favorite alt-rock bands are.

I'm thinking about starting with the Raconteurs two albums, and Elephant and Icky Thump(White Stripes...not sure why i don't own those)...

Spoon would also be a starting off points for me, maybe some Killers. Anyway, any alt-rock fans around here?
    Finally a break from all of the metal threads.

Definately get the Raconteurs and White Stripes. De Stijl is my favorite White Stripes album if you already have the others. All of their albums are really solid. Radiohead and Death Cab for Cutie are some of my favorites as well. OK Computer Kid A and In Rainbows are good starters for Radiohead and Death Cab for Cutie try Transatlancticism and Plans and their newest Narrow Stairs for some more radio friendly stuff. The Apples in Stereo are a pretty poppy band...fun stuff to tap your foot to. New Magnetic Wonder should work for the radio. Blind Melon, Incubus, Modest Mouse, The Magic Numbers, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, The Velvet Underground, are a few others that you might check out but i'm in too big of a hurry to give out song or album names.
    Last edited by aberdien; 05-23-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

From what I've seen MB, you definitely listen to Jet, and they're a great garage/alt band, if in the same breath as the White Stripes. If you're in to that genre of alternative (it can be broken down infinitely) in the alt area, then check out a few bands like The White Stripes, The Strokes, Velvet Underground, The Vines, etc. Then there's the more synth/prog guys like The Killers and The Bravery... maybe a little Muse. They all have that same edginess and youthful soul in them.

"Alternative" can really mean anything. What era of alt rock are you looking at? There are some good British bands out there like The Fratellis, The Arctic Monkeys, etc. that are a bit poppier, but nonetheless in the genre.

I definitely need to get a few more albums in my collection as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Man you are so lucky to have ALT rock station in your area. I love traveling to the NW to get the sound. In DC WHS the leading ALT rock station on east coast was changed into Mexican Station, and the area radio has sucked since.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Man you are so lucky to have ALT rock station in your area. I love traveling to the NW to get the sound. In DC WHS the leading ALT rock station on east coast was changed into Mexican Station, and the area radio has sucked since.

I remember waking up one morning and hearing spanish on 99.1. I couldnt believe it.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

I remember waking up one morning and hearing spanish on 99.1. I couldnt believe it.
    I am still bitter about it. I would get satellite but my commute is only 10 miles and most days it only about 40 minute drive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    I am still bitter about it. I would get satellite but my commute is only 10 miles and most days it only about 40 minute drive.

Yea, i didnt listen to it often but it was better than what they have on there now. They did have an early Midnight/morning show towards the end called Coast to Coast that was pretty cool.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information