Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Default Article critical of Denvers QB's

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_15130828

Krieger: Throwing Cole on QB fire

By Dave Krieger
    Denver Post Columnist

Posted: 05/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Denver Broncos QB's Brady Quinn (9) and Tim Tebow (15) look on during drills at practice Monday, May 17, 2010 at Dove Valley. John Leyba, The Denver Post (JOHN LEYBA)

An open competition to play starting quarterback in the NFL is a rare treat for fans, sportswriters and radio talk shows, like a rogue version of "American Idol" that actually produces something useful.
    The more contenders the merrier, we say. The only way to improve it would be to get them to live in the same house and broadcast 2 4/7, like "The Truman Show."
    So I mention Jason Cole's opinion at Yahoo! Sports not to provoke hate mail for either him or me, although in especially orange quarters it probably will. I mention it to offer a counterweight to the local exuberance of the various campaigns.
    Cole writes from a national perspective for Yahoo. The other day, he ranked all 32 teams by their quarterbacks. The big news was the Steelers slipped from top four to seventh because of Ben Roethlisberger's suspension.
    The Broncos? Cole had them 29th.
    "What do you get when you combine Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow?" he asked. "A backup, a flop and a prayer."
    I'm ducking for cover already. Even Cole admitted he might have taken a little literary license. "Yeah, that's harsh, but let's face reality," he went on.
    "Orton has always been exposed as a take-no-chances passer. Quinn didn't get a fair shake in Cleveland, but he didn't help himself, either. As for Tebow, it's hard to root or bet against him, but he was a reach in the first round when you consider how much work he has to do to make it in the NFL. Great kid, great work ethic, but first round? Oy . . ."
    Personal opinion aside, there's not a lot of logic to the ranking. Orton was a middle-of-the-pack quarterback last season — 14th in passer rating. So unless you assume Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is about to replace him with someone substantially worse — a light goes on — the Broncos should still be somewhere in the middle of the pack. How Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel and Matt Stafford end up ahead of them I don't know, unless Cole has a son named Matt.
    But one reason for some of the more jaundiced views from afar is that uncertainty at quarterback is almost always bad. Think about teams that aren't sure who their starters are. Carolina. Arizona. Buffalo. Not real promising situations, no matter how much you like Ryan Fitzpatrick's Wonderlic score.
    Uncertainty doesn't matter this time of year, but it's going to start to matter here pretty soon, so it seems worth wondering how it gets resolved.
    When I asked McDaniels the other day whether four quarterbacks — we mustn't forget Tom Brandstater, quarterback of the future a year ago — are too many, he acknowledged it will work for only so long:
    "I've had four before at one point. During passing camp and the early parts of training camp, when you have 80 guys, or in this case 86 or 87 guys, you can get enough work because you've got a lot of reps. I think we had 35, 36 reps of 7-on-7 (Monday), so they all got, I think, somewhere in the neighborhood of nine or 10 plays apiece. There's not too many things that they're not getting an opportunity to rep out there. So that's the most important thing, is they're getting an opportunity to do that.
    "Ideally, would you like to have an opportunity to give everybody more reps? Sure. But we're going to let that situation play out, and the competition will sort itself out and we'll end up with the right number."
    So what's the plan?
    Does McDaniels stick with the status quo, the incumbent Orton, design a few plays for Tebow, and let wins, losses and injuries sort it out once the season begins?
    Does he look to trade Orton, his only proven commodity, to open the door for Tebow, with Quinn as his insurance policy? This would be a high-risk play that might raise the ceiling on the Broncos' quarterback play, but also lower the floor.
    Does he simply drop Brandstater when reps get precious and host a three-way free-for-all right through the preseason?
    Your guess is as good as mine. McDaniels has suggested several times that Tebow could be ready long before outsiders expect him to be, so a dramatic, possibly premature handoff seems possible.
    The other worrisome scenario I imagine is Tebow as a part-time signal-caller, sent on to run certain plays in certain situations, then withdrawing to let Orton run the rest of the offense. I've never seen co-quarterbacks work at the pro level.
    But frankly, the longer McDaniels takes to decide, the better for my racket. We can argue about this stuff endlessly, as we have only just begun to demonstrate. Come Monday, we'll be out there counting reps.
    Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger
    Last edited by Tned; 05-21-2010 at 09:21 AM.

So Krieger is basically saying he could post here and fit right in.

3. The Following 9 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Worst case IMO is that all 3 of these guys are mediocre. If thats the case I would rather them suck so we could get the experiment over with.

I want greatness as soon as possible.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Worst case IMO is that all 3 of these guys are mediocre. If thats the case I would rather them suck so we could get the experiment over with.

I want greatness as soon as possible.

Everybody does Clay. You aren't alone there. Why don't you instead hope that one of these guys emerges as our QB instead of being all negative and defeatist about it you *****

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

I wonder if the theme from Jeapordy is playing while the reps are played out.
    Thanks Shake!

9. The Following User High Fived Dirk For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    So Krieger is basically saying he could post here and fit right in.
    Indeed.

The only thing revealing in Mr. Krieger's article, is that he doesn't like the Broncos, and especially Tim Tebow. Certainly nothing enlightening or informative. Big Yawn.

11. The Following 6 Users High Fived gator_fan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    Everybody does Clay. You aren't alone there. Why don't you instead hope that one of these guys emerges as our QB instead of being all negative and defeatist about it you *****
    Thanks Nut, Ive never thought about it that way.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Thanks Nut, Ive never thought about it that way.
    ladies and gentlemen.....meet the "new clay"

15. The Following User High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gator_fan View Post
    Indeed.

The only thing revealing in Mr. Krieger's article, is that he doesn't like the Broncos, and especially Tim Tebow. Certainly nothing enlightening or informative. Big Yawn.
    Did people even read the entire article?

"What do you get when you combine Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow?" he asked. "A backup, a flop and a prayer."
    I'm ducking for cover already. Even Cole admitted he might have taken a little literary license. "Yeah, that's harsh, but let's face reality," he went on.
    "Orton has always been exposed as a take-no-chances passer. Quinn didn't get a fair shake in Cleveland, but he didn't help himself, either. As for Tebow, it's hard to root or bet against him, but he was a reach in the first round when you consider how much work he has to do to make it in the NFL. Great kid, great work ethic, but first round? Oy . . ."
    He quoted that from a yahoo sportswriter.

He didn't necessarily agree or disagree with it.

17. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoSojia For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    ladies and gentlemen.....meet the "new clay"
    I feel like a butterfly that has arisen from its cocoon.

19. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

It seems like it's the same article every day.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
    Did people even read the entire article?

He quoted that from a yahoo sportswriter.
    So what? Is it an "Everyone's Wild Speculation Day" celebration?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
    He didn't necessarily agree or disagree with it.
    Gee, I wonder what made him choose to use it then?

Quote Originally Posted by gator_fan View Post
    So what? Is it an "Everyone's Wild Speculation Day" celebration?

Gee, I wonder what made him choose to use it then?
    Yeah, basically the writer has nothing to write about yet.
    he might as well have just written,
    "4 QBs in DEN and NO ONE is telling me what i want to hear, Waaa!"
    "Oh, and i hate Tebow!"

Guy should STHeckU until theres actually a controversy or something to discuss thats relevant.
    Anyone of us could have borrowed from other bozo's and then made an article basically complaining about what everyone already knows.

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

I feel like a butterfly that has arisen from its cocoon.

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    Guy should STHeckU until theres actually a controversy or something to discuss thats relevant.
    One could also speculate like a nutter in the other direction.

Orton and Tebow both play regularly this season. They thrive off the competition with one another. Offense catches fire and is productive. Defense gets whipped into a frenzy because of it and becomes best in the league. First successful two quaterback team in the NFL. Broncos are the most followed team in history. They win the superbowl for the next six consecutive years! LOL!

Just as relevant at this point.

27. The Following User High Fived gator_fan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information