Default Branson means business after earning promotion

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15122019

Branson means business after earning promotion
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 05/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Tony Scheffler is gone.

And then came Branson.

"I'm pretty sure I can handle it," said Marquez Branson, an undrafted rookie in 2009 who has been promoted to be Scheffler's heir apparent as the Broncos' "receiving" tight end for 2010. "If I couldn't, I don't think I would be here getting the opportunity. I'm going to keep working my hardest and see what happens."

Lost amid the numerous headline-making moves by the Broncos in recent months was an acquisition they didn't make.

They moved to essentially replace top wide receiver Brandon Marshall by drafting Demaryius Thomas in the first round. They took a year, but the Broncos essentially replaced "franchise" quarterback Jay Cutler by drafting Tim Tebow, also in the first round.

But to replace Scheffler, one of the NFL's top threats at tight end? The Broncos did nothing other than promote Branson from their practice squad.

"You didn't see him last year, but we have very high expectations and high hopes for him," coach Josh McDaniels said of Branson last month.

Nineteen tight ends were drafted in 2009 — including Richard Quinn Jr., whom Denver picked in the second round. Branson was not among the selected, primarily because he's undersized — at 6-feet-2 and 241 pounds, he's 3 inches shorter and nearly 15 pounds lighter than Scheffler — and played against small-college competition at Central Arkansas.

Branson came to the Broncos' training camp last year along with a large group of undrafted free agents that included Stanley Bryant, Marcus Gordon, David Grimes, D.J. Johnson, Travis Shelton, Lucas Taylor and Kestahn Moore.

If those names don't sound familiar, it's probably because all were cut before the regular season began. Including Branson.

But after he was signed back to the Broncos' practice squad, Branson showed Wednesday through Friday he has the want-to, if not the size, to become a willing blocker. He also did a fair job imitating the likes of Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Dallas Clark and Brent Celek while playing on the Broncos' in-week scout team.

"I worked my tail off last year, and all that hard work is paying off," Branson said. "I'm very appreciative."

This season, Branson will likely play an H-back role similar to what Clark and Chris Cooley play.

"He's more of a pass catcher — maybe spread him away from the formation some," McDaniels said. "We were fortunate to get him after the draft last year. There were some teams that were even interested in getting him off our practice squad as the season went on."

Branson is off the practice squad now, and on the real squad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Branson file
    Player: Marquez Branson

Position: "Receiving" tight end

Born: Feb. 14, 1987

Height, weight: 6-feet-2, 241 pounds

Hometown: Starkville, Miss.

Colleges: Central Arkansas and East Mississippi Community College

Acquired: Undrafted rookie in 2009; signed as a college free agent along with nose tackle Chris Baker and punter Britton Colquitt.

Scouting report: Branson will be a little tougher for Denver quarterbacks to find; he is 3 inches smaller than Tony Scheffler. He caught 18 touchdown passes and averaged 15.1 yards per catch in two seasons at Central Arkansas.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

Some times those undrafted players become bread and butter. Let's hope he is one of them!!
    Thanks Shake!

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dirk For This Post:

Yeah, sure if he pans out great, but Dick Quinn better make a huge impact playing actual football this year.

6. The Following 9 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    Yeah, sure if he pans out great, but Dick Quinn better make a huge impact playing actual football this year.
    Unless Graham gets hurt I'm not sure he will.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

In Dick I trust!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    In Dick I trust!

10. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

In Dick I trust!
    slim totally wants dick's richard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

In Dick I trust!
    I'm not sure if you realize this, but there are probably better ways to phrase that. I'm a big fan of Dick too, though. I hope he comes through for us this year.

13. The Following User High Fived honz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    I'm not sure if you realize this, but there are probably better ways to phrase that. I'm a big fan of Dick too, though. I hope he comes through for us this year.
    I think most people are a fan of Dick, whether or not they are willing to admit it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

This guy seems more like a Dick blocker than a catcher, and nobody likes a Dick blocker!

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

lets not forget not only is the mismatch afforded by a 6'4"-6'6" te absent, but at at 6"2 with a 4.69 forty so is the speed to beat the linebacker

any nickle back worth his salt will not have any trouble keeping up with this guy, not will the best linebackers...his size is not what your lookin for in a pass catching te

lets hope for the best but i dont see him as an equal or improvemnt

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    slim totally wants dick's richard.
    Shank, don't lie. You know you love Dick.

19. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Addition by subtraction with the ousting of Peyton Hills. He can have a nice impact on the team. More likely that our running backs will receive more options out of the backfield. Amazing potential as a receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Unless Graham gets hurt I'm not sure he will.
    You realize that McDaniels offenses are heavy on two TE sets right? Quinn is going to get plenty of playing time no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    lets not forget not only is the mismatch afforded by a 6'4"-6'6" te absent, but at at 6"2 with a 4.69 forty so is the speed to beat the linebacker
    Tony Scheffler's 40 times were between 4.55 and 4.61 depending on the source. It's not unreasonable to think Branson could drop a half second or more off his time with NFL level training and conditioning, and that would put him right in Scheffler's range.

any nickle back worth his salt will not have any trouble keeping up with this guy, not will the best linebackers...his size is not what your lookin for in a pass catching te
    How many nicklebacks are going to go up against a 6-2 240lb target with ease?

lets hope for the best but i dont see him as an equal or improvemnt
    He's an UDFA, so the odds are obviously stacked against him ever becoming a legit performer. That said, he'll get a chance here and if he doesn't cut it we can look elsewhere in 2011 or 2012.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    You realize that McDaniels offenses are heavy on two TE sets right? Quinn is going to get plenty of playing time no matter what.
    You do realize that Quinn has prove he belongs on the field something he hasn't done yet right?
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-21-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information