Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NBA Free Agents

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Default 2008 NBA Free Agents

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...2008freeagents

Nice list of potential Free Agents this year. Stephen A. Smith said the Spurs may only bring back Manu, Tony, Timmy and Bruce and that had me wondering who was out there.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Clippers make their ways to SA. Maggette and/or Brand would be great additions.

Josh Smith is restricted, but may be worth taking a stab at...as would Luol Deng.

Trevor Ariza would be a real nice fit in SA. Very solid defensive role player w/ some youth.

A few other names out there, but those caught my eye.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

How are the Spurs about spending? Would they have enough to go after Brand who will get paid.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Timmy is getting paid. So is Parker. Manu's cost is reasonable. They can afford 1 large deal. Brand may cost too much, but they do have flexibility. Jermaine O'Neal could be another option if they want more talent inside.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Bulls land top pick.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Rose is from Chicago, but Beasley may fit better. Who do ya take?

Miami has to be pleased. They'll get one of em, w/o the pressure of having to choose which one. Whoever is left is a no brainer and the fans can't complain.

BTW...Does Minnesota need an OJ Mayo?

I want Cleveland to pick up a big guy who can defend AND score. Antwan Jamison would be a dream.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Too old. They need a long term solution...Deng.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    Rose is from Chicago, but Beasley may fit better. Who do ya take?

Miami has to be pleased. They'll get one of em, w/o the pressure of having to choose which one. Whoever is left is a no brainer and the fans can't complain.

BTW...Does Minnesota need an OJ Mayo?
    Minny, from what I have heard they would have liked Beasley, move Jefferson over to Center, they like Foye at the point and think he can develope well, McCants is an ok SG, but Mayo has the hipe as an NBA scorer. I just don't like OJ Mayo overall, might score but to many other marks against him in my book. May looks to be the choice, with Brewer last year they might avoid the Euro Danilo Gallinari 6-10 220 SF Italy 1988, and the bigs that high outside of Randolph are not athletic bigs per say more classic.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Mayo is toxic. He seems like a crappier Derrick Coleman.

Quote Originally Posted by beefstew25 View Post
    Mayo is toxic. He seems like a crappier Derrick Coleman.
    So you wont be rocking any Mayo jerseys?
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by cswil View Post
    So you wont be rocking any Mayo jerseys?
    I might rock a Jason Bennett jersey for the Argentinian C league is going to be playing in.

Adopted Bronco:

SA won't be signing a guy like Brand. With Duncan, Parker and Manure, they have plenty of offense. all they need is role players to fill in the gaps. Brand would cost way too much and there would be enough shots to go around.

Lookf ro Philly to make the biggest splash for Brand.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

I guess this could turn into the free agent/draft thread?
    Chad Ford Mock:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ckDraft-080527

Here is some news from some workouts.

CHICAGO -- The city was abuzz Wednesday morning, fresh off the news that the Bulls had done the impossible -- winning the draft lottery despite having just a 1.7 percent chance.

As the city debated whom the Bulls should take with the No. 1 pick -- Michael Beasley or Derrick Rose, I spent the day watching draft prospects in Tim Grover's new state-of-the-art training facility -- the A.T.T.A.C.K. Athletics Center.

Grover's new gym is so cutting-edge it puts even the best NBA training facilities to shame. Four full NBA courts, spacious locker rooms, incredible workout machines, including an underwater treadmill, plus a players' lounge with an 85-inch plasma screen, pool tables, and private rooms for sleeping and playing video games -- it's amazing.

In the dressing room are lockers for Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade -- three of Grover's most famous professional clients -- along with individual stalls with gold-plated names for his pre-draft clients: O.J. Mayo, Bill Walker, Brandon Rush, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Donte Greene and others.

Grover's gym has become such a destination that William "Worldwide" Wesley sat at courtside the entire day. He seemed perfectly at home.

I've been coming to Grover's pre-draft workouts since 2001. No one has a better reputation for getting players stronger and more explosive and for teaching core pro fundamentals that will be crucial to NBA success.

On Friday, we'll do a full feature and breakdown of Grover's top client: Mayo. Here's a look at some of the other top prospects in the gym, starting with Mayo's high school teammate Walker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Walker, G/F, Kansas State

Walker has been on the NBA radar screen since 10th grade. His explosive leaping and scoring abilities drew comparisons to Vince Carter. By the time he first became eligible in December 2006 at Kansas State, many NBA scouts had him pegged as a potential top-5 pick in the 2007 NBA draft.

But then disaster struck. Just seven games into Walker's college career, he ruptured his ACL. Walker struggled to come back. He showed up with a touring American team in Italy at the Reebok Eurocamp and looked slow and overweight.

By the time his sophomore season started, Walker was regaining some of his athleticism, but he was still 20 to 30 pounds overweight and struggled to put it together on the court. With the exception of one huge game versus Cal, Walker didn't start turning it on again until late December.

By the end of the season, Walker was beginning to look like the player we once knew in high school but still seemed far from becoming a potential lottery pick again. A disappointing NCAA tournament for Kansas State ended most of the talk about Walker's even cracking the first round.

However, two months later, a different Walker is on the court. Walker has dropped nearly 30 pounds and has totally rehabbed his knee, and I'm happy to report he is dropping highlight reel dunks by the minute.

"He's been an animal in here," Grover said. "He wants it. He's been working really hard, and it's paying off. He's so explosive, and he's always in attack mode."

Walker also is working on stabilizing his jump shot. Although his shooting has improved over the years, he doesn't have the needed consistency. Grover also has been working on teaching Walker the nuances of the game. He's been showing him film of Wade and Paul Pierce. Walker spent a considerable amount of his time on Wednesday working on his jab step, for example.

Walker told me he's skipping the Orlando pre-draft camp and is hoping to land in workouts against some of the other top small forwards in the draft -- Greene, Joe Alexander, Rush and Douglas-Roberts.

If he feels he'll be a first-round pick, he likely will stay in the draft. It will be interesting to see how NBA teams react to Walker. The last time he looked like this, he was considered one of the top players in the draft. Does he have enough time to convince GMs that the old Bill Walker is back? He's off to a scintillating start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon Rush, G/F, Kansas

Rush is an old hand at this. He declared for the draft out of high school and again last year after his sophomore season. An ACL injury that summer put his NBA dream on hold. Rush came back two games into the season and slowly, as the campaign went on, got back into form. He seemed to get stronger every week, and by March, he looked like the best player on the Jayhawks again.

He's been working nonstop for several weeks and looks as though he, too, finally has regained his explosiveness and lateral quickness.

What is appealing about Rush is his beautiful jump shot, his smooth demeanor and his above-average size for his position. He also can be a lockdown defender and possesses a great basketball IQ.

The only real knock on Rush is that he wasn't as aggressive as his talent suggested he should be. He often left Kansas fans wanting more. He seems comfortable, at times, just fitting in.

On Wednesday, I saw him work out with Wolves forward Antoine Walker. Rush shot about 80 to 90 percent from the field in the workout. He can hit his shot from just about anywhere. He also has the size and skill to post up smaller guards.

He reminds me, in a lot of ways, of the Hawks' Joe Johnson. He has such a smoothness to his game that he looks effortless at times. I expect Rush will draw some serious attention just outside the lottery from teams with an eye toward the playoffs. Teams such as the Suns, Cavs and Magic could insert Rush directly into the rotation and get solid production from him as a rookie.

Right now, I have him going No. 22 to the Magic, but I wouldn't be shocked if he went as high as 15 to the Suns. He's the type of athletic shooter/defender that should be a perfect fit in Phoenix.

Chris Douglas-Roberts, G/F, Memphis

It's interesting to see Douglas-Roberts working out in the same gym as Rush. They were matched up head-to-head in the NCAA title game. Douglas-Roberts had the better stat line, but Rush ended up with the win.

The final outcome of the NCAA tournament highlights the differences between the two. Douglas-Roberts is a slasher with an aggressive scoring mentality. He wills his way to hole. He's capable of huge scoring outbursts, and that's always going to be a plus for NBA scouts.

Douglas-Roberts doesn't have the size or the athleticism of Rush, however. Nor is his aim as accurate from long distance. And as good a scorer as he is, he doesn't seem to have the calm demeanor and leadership qualities Rush possesses.

With that said, a handful of NBA GMs that I spoke with have Douglas-Roberts ranked higher than Rush. Said one, "The league always needs guys who can score. We can obsess all you want about physical attributes, leaping ability and wingspan, but at the end of the game, the team with the most buckets wins. Douglas-Roberts will get you buckets."

I didn't see anything Wednesday to change my opinion from the season. Douglas-Roberts has a chance of being an excellent NBA scorer and should land somewhere in the 20s in the first round.

Jeremy Pargo , PG, Gonzaga

Jeremy Pargo was the other really intriguing player in the gym.

He is a very explosive athlete who attacks the basket. He's a streaky shooter, but when he's hot, watch out. He's debating whether to play in Orlando. If he does, I could see him moving up draft boards. After the first few point guards are off the board, teams will be looking in the late first round and Pargo will be interesting.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

I'm crossing my fingers that the Sixers bring in Elton Brand.... I've seen a few rumors that they are highly interested. He would really boost the teams level of play.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I dunno who they are gonna bring in, but SA is gonna have plenty of openings. I like the C from Golden State and Deng. Like I said before, Ariza would also be a nice fit as he can defend. That would be 3 young, solid defenders who are more athletic than Oberto, Finley and Horry at this point. I don't think any huge names are realistic, but they can grab 2-3 2nd or 3rd tier players to set up the team for the next handful of years.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information