Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NBA Free Agents

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I'd love to bring in a few of the following for their potential, athleticism and, most of all, youth. I don't think any of the following are unobtainable:

Josh Childress, SF, RFA, Atlanta Hawks
    Andris Beidrins, C, RFA, Golden State Warriors
    Trevor Ariza, SF, UFA, LA Lakers
    Jannero Pargo, PG, UFA, New Orleans Hornets
    Paul Millsap, PF, RFA, Utah Jazz

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I'd love to bring in a few of the following for their potential, athleticism and, most of all, youth. I don't think any of the following are unobtainable:

Josh Childress, SF, RFA, Atlanta Hawks
    Andris Beidrins, C, RFA, Golden State Warriors
    Trevor Ariza, SF, UFA, LA Lakers
    Jannero Pargo, PG, UFA, New Orleans Hornets
    Paul Millsap, PF, RFA, Utah Jazz
    No way that GS lets Biedrins slip away. They are going to give him some serious money. And Paul Millsap still has another year to play in Utah (team option). I hope the Jazz don't let Sap go, the dude is a beast and one of my favorite players.

The other 3 on that list should be attainable at a reasonable price, though.
    I NO LONGER support Rahim Moore.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Vaughn may go so Pargo would be a nice backup for Parker. Ariza COULD be the next Bowen and w/ Manu coming off the bench, Childress could be the staarter next year. I'm sure they go a different route w/ players from Lithuania I've never heard of, but I can dream...

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

I love Childress' game and like Ariza's game, although I haven't really seen Ariza play very much, but neither of them are good shooters. It seems like the Spurs brass and coaches like shooters to help spread the floor for Timmy and Tony Longoria.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Phil really likes Trevor and I dont think the Lakers are going to let him get away after trading for him this year. As for Josh heard that he could get some pretty good offers from teams.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    I love Childress' game and like Ariza's game, although I haven't really seen Ariza play very much, but neither of them are good shooters. It seems like the Spurs brass and coaches like shooters to help spread the floor for Timmy and Tony Longoria.
    I think Childress can develop into a very nice player. I think his shot is/will be fine. Ariza would be strictly for defensive purposes. SA will always have veteran gunners, but they still need to get younger. As angry as a certain Dukie is in Orlando, I'd LOVE for SA to make a trade to bring him in. I don't necessarily like him, but he can gun and plays very hard. Besides, if people wanna hate SA, we should get more players for everyone to loathe.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Ford's thoughts on the end of the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp:
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- After three days of watching second-round players in pickup
    games, all eyes turned Friday to the top 15 American prospects in the NBA draft.

While the camp participants battled in front of a sparse crowd, most of the top NBA executives and coaches crowded into the corner of the gym to watch the players who chose to skip the camp go through some shooting, ballhandling and athletic drills.

Here's a quick hit at how they looked:

Beasley was the first player on the floor but the last to go through the workout. While other workouts were going on, we all watched in awe as Beasley drained NBA 3-pointer after NBA 3-pointer. That continued in the workouts, in which Beasley shot as well as any prospect here. Deep or midrange, Beasley can shoot the lights out.

I also caught a sneak peek of Beasley's vertical jump test. He touched the 11-foot-9 mark on his running jump. Assuming he has a standing reach of about 8-foot-10, that's a 35-inch vertical. Not off the charts, but not too shabby, either.

Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis

Rose won't look especially great in these drills. His jump shot is his weakness, though it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. He hit a respectable number of shots in the workouts and showed his value with his speed, leaping ability and ballhandling.

O.J. Mayo, SG, USC

Mayo's fundamentals really showed here. He looked as smooth and as comfortable as any of the prospects in the gym. His shot was falling from everywhere, and he showed great poise.

It was interesting to watch one front-office team -- from the Heat -- zero in on Mayo. Many times, NBA executives and scouts spend as much time talking as they do watching the action. When Mayo was on the floor, he had the undivided attention of Pat Riley and GM Randy Pfund.

Jerryd Bayless, PG, Arizona

Bayless also looked good in workouts. He ran the floor well, shot the ball well and looked like an all-around good prospect. He's slighter than most of the players he's competing against in the draft, but his skill really showed.

Anthony Randolph, PF, LSU

I thought Randolph really helped himself in this workout. He moves incredibly well for a big man, showed great quickness and leaping ability, and shot the ball much better than expected. Randolph also looked as if he has gained some weight, which should really help his cause. I think Randolph is one of the five top prospects in this draft.

Brook Lopez, C, Stanford

Lopez was one of the few prospects who didn't look great. These types of drills aren't really tailor-made for big men -- especially ones who don't have elite athleticism. Lopez did show some nice touch around the basket in some big man drills, but he wasn't going to stand out here.

Eric Gordon, SG, Indiana

Gordon is the strongest and possibly the biggest of the combo guards vying for a lottery pick. He seemed a little more tentative than some of the other prospects and shot some air balls and some eyebrow-raising jumpers at times. However, he calmed down as the workout went on and ended with a much more solid shooting performance in the final minutes.

D.J. Augustin, PG, Texas

Augustin showed his ability to shoot the basketball. He doesn't get to do a lot of point guard things here … and those are Augustin's forte. He definitely looked really small out there and doesn't have the explosive quickness or athleticism that some of the other prospects had, but overall, I thought Augustin looked good.

Russell Westbrook, PG, UCLA

Westbrook was another prospect who really helped his cause here. His quickness, explosiveness and ability to change direction were scintillating in workouts. He also shot the ball extremely well in a number of drills, answering the critics who claim he's not a good shooter. If you compared Westbrook and Augustin head-to-head in just the drills, Westbrook would win hands down. However, it's his ability to be a floor leader in the game that teams still question.

Kevin Love, PF, UCLA

Love also performed well here. He continues to slim down, and a number of scouts mentioned that he's in as good shape as they've ever seen him. Although Love doesn't run the floor the way some of the other top athletes do, he hustled up and down the floor and showed good athleticism.

just as important, Love shot the ball very well in the workouts. At times, he looked like a guard out there. Love also did well in the strength training, bench-pressing the 185-pound bar 18 times.

DeAndre Jordan, C, Texas A&M

Jordan also has dropped some weight and looked in much better shape than we've seen him in the past. Although he runs the floor well, he struggled a bit in the skills portion of the workout. No real surprise here. He worked pretty hard … but there's no one with more questions swirling around him. Everyone loves him and hates him at the same time.

Darrell Arthur, PF, Kansas

I thought Arthur looked as skilled and athletic as any big man here. He exploded in some of the footwork drills, showed an excellent 15- to 18-foot jump shot and really flew up and down the floor. Arthur's ability to score, both inside and out, makes him a really intriguing choice. I think he could rise as we get closer to the draft.

JaVale McGee, C, Nevada

McGee came in a little bulked up. He clearly has hit the weight room. However, McGee struggled in the workouts. He looked really uncomfortable shooting the ball and looked a bit out of shape. He was breathing awfully heavy just a few minutes into the workout.

Joe Alexander, SF, West Virginia

Alexander showed off his elite athleticism. He drew a few oohs and ahhs from the crowd with his dunks. His jump shot was more of a mixed bag. He gets great elevation, but didn't shoot it as well as his workout partner, Love. Alexander also wowed people with his strength. He bench-pressed the 185-pound bar 24 times and, according to one source, is going to show a vertical jump of 40-plus inches.

Donte Greene, SF, Syracuse

Greene wasn't great in the workouts, either. He is a good athlete, but his shot wasn't falling as well as some other prospects' and he didn't do anything to stand out the way some of the others did.

The bottom line is that there isn't a lot you can learn from these workouts and they won't have much, if any, impact on their draft stock. It's just an early, brief, sneak peek of what NBA teams will see in the coming months. Players can begin team workouts Wednesday.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The camp itself ended with a bit of a whimper. Even though the players in the camp were playing their hearts out, few NBA executives and coaches were watching.

Although the talent at the camp was pretty good, many of the top prospects really didn't perform well. That's nothing new. It's not easy to stand out among 64 prospects playing a pickup game. I went back and looked at my pre-draft camp wrap columns through the years. The players who performed well in the camp rarely go on to be great NBA players. In fact, it's some of the poor performers who have better careers.

There are exceptions. David Lee was good when he played in the camp. So was Jamal Crawford. But players such as Jordan Farmar and Paul Millsap didn't play well here, and they turned into pretty good NBA players.

So take all this with a grain of salt … but here are the guys the NBA executives and scouts were talking about as the best and worst of the 2008 NBA pre-draft camp.

The Good

Mike Taylor, G, Idaho Stampede

Taylor had two excellent performances here. His quickness and athleticism really stood out, as did his ballhandling and improved shooting ability. Taylor was kicked off the Iowa State team last year and spent this season in the D-League. He has all the physical tools to be a good NBA combo guard and played with enough poise here to generate significant second-round buzz.

Taylor had 17 points in Game 1 and 24 points in Game 2. He struggled in Game 3, but no one was watching to see it happen. His performance in the drills today, right next to Westbrook, showed what a quick, athletic guard he is.

Gary Forbes, F, UMass

Forbes was great at the Portsmouth Invitational and here in Orlando. He scored a camp-high 30 points in the second game and, for a big man, showed a unique ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the line. Forbes also has shown enough shooting ability to play on the perimeter. I think he, too, has solidified himself as a second-round pick.

Ty Lawson, PG, UNC

Lawson looks like the only guy with a real shot at the first round. He had about 10 minutes of aggressive defense against Lester Hudson, then shut it down. Teams were impressed, but how impressed? The word is that Lawson is leaning toward staying in the draft and that a few teams in the 20s are interested. If he makes the first-round cut, his play here was a success.

George Hill, G, IUPUI

Hill was this year's sleeper. He had a great stat line in college and showed himself to be a potential point guard in the pros. He has good size, a good shooting touch and a lot of poise. I don't think he's going to crack the first round, but I do believe he'll be drafted.

DeVon Hardin, F/C, Cal

Hardin's numbers won't wow you. But his size and athleticism are really impressive. In drills, he looks like a lottery pick. He also played hard. Some teams are wondering whether, with the right coaching, he can be an impact player in the league. He has all the physical tools, but does he have the mental ones? If another player from this camp cracks the first round, it likely will be Hardin.

Other top performers at the camp: Brian Roberts, Dayton; Malik Hairston, Oregon; Sean Singletary, Virginia; Pat Calathes, Saint Joseph's; Richard Hendrix, Alabama; Josh Duncan, Xavier; Robert Vaden, UAB; Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, UCLA

The Bad

Davon Jefferson, F, USC

No one hurt his stock more than Jefferson did. He didn't really stand out offensively, looked out of shape, and waffled between passive and out of control. That's bad news for Jefferson, who already has hired an agent. I think he went from having a shot at the first round to being potentially undrafted. His strong last-day performance didn't get seen by much of anyone, unfortunately.

John Riek, C, IMG Academy

Riek showed up to the camp but was clearly hurting. He dragged his leg through workouts and didn't end up playing in any games. He's still recovering from a broken leg and really had no business playing here. As the camp moved on and Riek hung out in the shadows, he became somewhat of a sympathetic figure. He really needs to drop out of the draft, get healthy, find a good coach and start figuring out how to be a basketball player. He has a lot of physical gifts, but he's light-years from being an NBA contributor.

Jeremy Pargo, PG, Gonzaga

Lots of scouts, me included, are intrigued by Pargo's excellent athleticism and explosiveness. But the question has always been … is he a point guard, and can he shoot the basketball? The answers after this camp aren't encouraging. He led the camp in turnovers with 14 in three games. As for that shooting? He was 2-for-7 from 3. Pargo did have a good offensive performance in the last game, but it was marred by six turnovers.

From here, players will head to team workouts, which start Wednesday. We'll update our mock draft again Monday.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

WASHINGTON -- Gilbert Arenas lived up to his word and opted out of the final year of his contract, the Washington Wizards said Monday.

The move had been long expected. Arenas has repeatedly said he would forgo the final year of his six-year, $65 million deal so that he could re-sign with the team for an even larger amount.

Arenas can begin negotiating with any team on July 1. While he has expressed a desire to remain with the Wizards, he has also said he won't return unless the team also re-signs Antawn Jamison, who is also set to become a free agent.

Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld has said he wants to re-sign both Arenas and Jamison.

Arenas, a three-time All-Star, missed most of last season after two operations on his left knee. He has averaged 22.8 points, 5.5 assists and 4.2 rebounds in his seven-season NBA career.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
    Money, money, money, MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...2008freeagents

Stephen A. Smith said the Spurs may only bring back Manu, Tony, Timmy and Bruce and that had me wondering who was out there.
    Screamin' A has about as much credibility as Peter Vescey.

The Spurs will put Manhimi on the roster. I wouldn't be suprised if they go after a guy like Mickael Pietrus to replace Finley. They'll re-sign Thomas. Barry will be back. Oberto will be back. Whoever they end up drafting will be on the squad this season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Pietrus would be a great addition for the Spurs. He is athletic, a decent shooter, and he can play some D.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Ranking the up coming FA:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...eAgents-080629

Few UFA that are big, but all the attention will be on the RFA.

Players listed by team:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...2008FreeAgents

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Davis opts out and Jamison signs for 4 more years.

Adopted Bronco:
    BMarsh

If your not a Memphis, Sixers or Clippers fan then you have no shot at an of the top Free Agents.

Adopted Bronco:
    BMarsh

Is anybody a ESPN Insider?? Would appreciate it if you all could post the news about whats going on.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Brand opts out, says that LA is still in the mix.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information