Page 1 of 212 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Workout thread

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Default Workout thread

If you want to post your workouts feel free to do so.

Since I totally failed on my effort to do the century ride on the bike because of a knee injury I thought I would start this thread for the heck of it and because I can.

Here is my new workout since I started at the gym about 2 months ago. It has morphed into this which is what I am currently doing.

My goal is overall fitness, endurance, lose some body fat around my abdomen and chest area and get stronger.

I have a knee injury that prevents me from doing squats and similar exercises. I cannot do anything that requires me to kneel and put pressure on that knee either. The kneeling part is getting to be less of a problem lately.

The MWF workout takes about 2 hours from the time I leave my house until I arrive back home. The TT workout takes about an hour and 45 minutes.

My workout:

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I ride my bike to the gym (about 3.75 miles).

I only use the machines since I do not have a spotter.

I am currently up to 2 sets of 10 reps on each machine.

I am not sure what each exercise is called but here is my best shot.

Abdominal flexion - 90lbs
    Back flexion - 110lbs
    Cable row - 35lbs (standing slightly bent with knee on pad, pull cable toward back)
    Chest flies - 70lbs (arms bent at elbows, forearms on pads)
    Bicep curls - 25lbs (individual weights at 25lbs each side)
    Chest flies - 40lbs (arms straight out)
    Triceps - 20lbs (individual weights at 20lbs each side)
    Bench press - 0lbs (this is sitting inclined and pushing up, the machine weight is enough by itself for now)
    Row - 45lbs (this is sitting down leaning forward and pulling back with individual weights at 45lbs each side)
    Pull Down - 45lbs (this is sitting down and pulling the weight down with individual weights at 45lbs each side)
    Backward leg thrust - 90lbs (this is standing and putting the foot on a plate behind you and pushing the plate backward)
    Leg curls - 50lbs (sitting down and bending the knees with the resistance at the ankles)
    Leg extensions - 50lbs (sitting down and straighten the legs with resistance at the ankles)
    Abdominal flexion 110lbs
    Sitting push down - 90lbs (sitting down and pushing the weight down using two handles)
    Row - 50lbs ( this is sitting with chest against pad and pulling the weight toward the back)
    Bicep curl - 30lbs
    Upright bench press - 50lbs (this is sitting upright and pushing the weight away from the body)
    Sitting push down - 110lbs (same as above, different machine)
    Hip flexion inward - 90lbs (sitting with pads between knees and bring them together against resistance)
    Hip flexion outward - 75lbs (sitting with pads outside knees and push them apart against resistance)
    Sitting side twist - 70lbs (this is sitting with pads on chest and between knees, grasping handles twist the torso against resistance)
    Leg curls - 50lbs (sitting down and bending the knees with the resistance at the ankles)
    Leg extensions - 50lbs (sitting down and straighten the legs with resistance at the ankles)
    Calf raises - 180lbs plus body weight
    Laying down leg curls - 30lbs (laying on chest with body on pad, flex the legs with resistance on ankes)
    Sitting leg press - 170lbs (sitting down with plate in front and push with feet until knees straight)

Some of those seem to be the same exercises but are on different machines that have different movements and geometry on them so they work the muscles differently.

After that I go on the stair master for 15 minutes.

I ride home from the gym for another 3.75 miles.

I just started doing a couple of dumbell exersises today.

Lateral raises - 10lbs (standing with weight at sides, raise the weights out to sides and above the head in an arc)
    Front raises - 10lbs (standing with weight at sides, raise the weights to the front and over the head)
    Side crunches - 20lbs ( standing with weight in one hand bending from side to side as far as possible, switch hands and repeat)

Tuesday and Thursday.

Same rides on the bike to and from.

20 minutes on the treadmill at 5 degree incline at 4 miles an hour.
    1 hour Yoga class.
    15 minutes on the cardio machine of my choice.

Saturday and Sunday are just honeydo's and other normal every day stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

12 oz. curls x many reps
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

3. The Following 8 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    12 oz. curls x many reps

Which comes first for you, muscle fatigue or passout?
    Those days are over for me.
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    12 oz. curls x many reps
    i have worked out like 17 of the last 18 nights. it's a total muscle-binge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    i have worked out like 17 of the last 18 nights. it's a total muscle-binge.
    Make sure you don't slip.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    ME!

Here is the site I used to map all my cardio workouts. It's awesome because it's a tangible motivator for me, if I don't exercise and put anything in here, I feel like a lazy shit. On the alternating days I don't cardio, I am lifting. Basically a full body routine of pyramids, varying exercises on varying days. EDIT: you have to click on the "training log" tab to see the workouts. Today I ran 6.14 miles in 50.10 minutes, averaging an 8.10 minute mile pace, which isn't too bad for 6 miles.

http://www.mapmytri.com/user/united-...belgrade/offej

9. The Following User High Fived BMF Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
    Here is the site I used to map all my cardio workouts. It's awesome because it's a tangible motivator for me, if I don't exercise and put anything in here, I feel like a lazy shit. On the alternating days I don't cardio, I am lifting. Basically a full body routine of pyramids, varying exercises on varying days. EDIT: you have to click on the "training log" tab to see the workouts. Today I ran 6.14 miles in 50.10 minutes, averaging an 8.10 minute mile pace, which isn't too bad for 6 miles.

http://www.mapmytri.com/user/united-...belgrade/offej
    The link says that it's private and won't let me see it.

I have no idea what pyramids is to working out but I think it is doing some reps and then adding weight and lifting again and so on.

I don't do running, for some reason I have an aversion to it. I will do just about anything else but that for cardio.

How long have you been working out? I have never been to a gym to work out before. I have done it on my own with weights I went and bought.

I really have no idea what I’m doing at this point but I know I want to get in better all around shape.

I don't do running, for some reason I have an aversion to it.
    Merry.

We just bought a family membership (my wife,myself, and our two kids) at our local YMCA........now I just have to try to find the time(and energy) to get over there and use it.....I am usually just too damn tired after work....I guess I need to stop making excuses.....

My wife and kids go over two or 3 times a week.....so that is good for them.
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

Hey Broncofanday1, I posted something earlier but realized you answered some of my questions in the first post so I deleted it and am reposting now lol.

-----------------------------------------

Anyhow, here's my take to start.

I guess right off the bat let me know if you find my information useful. If not it's no biggie, I just don't want to be spouting off a bunch of stuff you scoff and turn your head at. I think there are three things you have to remember when soliciting advice about exercise.

1. Everyone is different and therefore what works for one set of people may not always work for you.

2.Just because I or other people achieve a goal one way doesn't necessarily mean you have to follow the same path to find similar ground. However some thing must be adhered to to achieve certain goals, such as regarding workout time on muscle groups and caloric intake/vs output to achieve weight loss.

3.Always double check anything anyone ever tells you about exercise. Be sure to form your own opinions, be critical, and become as knowledgable as possible about nutrition/exercise.

So lets begin at your goals. I'm assuming your a man, right? Well if you are its great being a guy because you can attack two of your goals at one time. Losing a few pounds and increasing muscle strength and size. Muscle is the best calorie controller there is. More muscle mass means you are burning more calories per hour, which in turn makes it easier to regulate or lose excess weight. I say its great being a guy because I lot of women don't find it attractive or socially inviting to put on the muscle mass were talking about. Anyhow....

There are two types of muscle, white muscle and red muscle. White muscle is endurance muscle. It is for long applications of muscle strength and mostly builds from endurance based muscular workouts and burns more calories per hour then red muscle. Red muscle is strength muscle. It is for short burst of high power and builds largely from higher weight, lower rep workouts. I am a proponent of building a base of white muscle then switching to red muscle building workouts, but thats up to you. You can achieve your goals one way or the other.

You build white muscle largely from lower weight/higher rep counts and military style workouts. As a byproduct if you do lower weight.higher rep workouts you will achieve more tone. Calisthenics or military style workouts will achieve high white muscle, but very little red muscle.

Now that this is explained, you decide what you want but at the early stages I hope you will work in at least one day of military style workouts. Endurance based workouts produce better overall results in health and achieving that next level yoru looking for in working out.

-----------------------------------------------

At first glance man I would say there are two things I would change immediately in your current routine.

The first thing I would say, and this I think you have to change if you want to create any type of long term success, and that is you have to increase yoru set count numbers. 2 sets of 10 reps is just enough to get your muscles pumped up, but not enough to actually achieve any goals as far as building strength or mass. I won't break down the entire biology of it, because its long and boring, but even if your stacking your workout on specific muscle groups you won't achieve anything in the near future at a 2 set count. 3 is a minimum but I think 4 is what you should be aiming for. Even if the 4th set, your only pumping out 5+ reps, your still working your muscles out to the best of your ability. If your finding it hard to do even three, you have to drop the weight your working with which I'll get into later.

The second thing I would change immediately is break up your muscle groups and attack two specific muscle groups each day, then repeat the cycle. Most people feel these pairing work the best...

1. Biceps and Back
    2. Chest and Triceps
    3. Neck and Deltoids
    4. Legs and Core (abs/lower back)

These pairing are good because, for example, when you workout your back, your bicep works as a stabalizing muscle, and vice versa. Same goes for chest/tris and neck/delts. Its good because you basically workout both muscle groups a little harder, and when these muscle groups get sore you won't be reusing them again until your ready to attack them head on again (whereas if you paired upperback with chest, when you did chest again you might make your biceps sore again from the upperback workout).You don't have to pair them like this, but I would suggest it.

Whatever you do I would say your current method needs to be broken up to a degree because your putting in a lot of time attacking your entire body which has to be leaving you with two things. Not much time to do each workout and not much time to recover before your working those muscles out again. If your working yoru muscles out properly they will need time to recover and by splitting them out you'll achieve your goals faster and more effeciently.

Also if you break down your muscle groups you have to decide how your going to setup your workout. Whether your going to stack them or tier them. Stacking is doing all of one muscle groups workouts in a row. For example...

1.Bicep Workout 1
    2.Bicep Workout 2
    3.Bicep Workout 3
    4.Bicep Workout 4
    5.Upper Back workout 1
    6.Upper back workout 2
    7.Upper back workout 3
    8. Upperback workout 4

This is obviously gassing. by bicep workout #2 your hurting, by #4 your outta gas. However you achieve results very fast but with a lot of soreness. Otherwise tiering is breaking it up by switching muscle groups. Such as...

1. Bicep Workout 1
    2.Upper Back Workout 1
    3. Bicep workout 2
    4. etc etc

This gives more time between workouts for your muscles to recover so they can push it as hard as possible each time. I would temper that its best to tier your workouts first, then slowly stack them. Go from bicep, upper back, bicep, upper back, to later down the road to two bicep workouts, then two upperback, etc. until your doing a full stack.

This is getting really long so I'm gonna stop but if you do infact want to hear more I can go on. If not no biggie man. If so let me know what you want to know about more, free weights vs cable systems/machines, nutritional information regarding weight loss, nutritional information regarding muscle gain/soreness, compound workouts vs isolation workouts, or what workouts I like vs don't liek for specific muscles. Whatever happens good luck and stick with it, its worth it .
    Last edited by BigBroncLove; 05-25-2010 at 06:37 AM.
    Temp sig till I find another one

13. The Following User High Fived BigBroncLove For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

BigBroncLove,

Thanks for the input. This is the kind of input I've been seeking. Yes I'm a man.

I am definitely interested in hearing what you have to say. I am interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

If I'm understanding you correctly, even though I do three different bicep machine and eind up with 6 sets of 20 I would be better off just doing one of those machines with all the sets on it and then doing a different machine after a rest day?

Keep in mind I can only do the weight training three days a week. I do yoga and cardio two days a week and more or less rest on the weekends (depends on what projects I have going on how much rest I get).

What I am kind of thinking is doing a full body workout three days but not doing all of those each time. I would have three different workouts to do on the three different days.

I see at least three possibilities of how I can do it.
    1. Do a full body sort of like I am but with more reps on one of the similar machines and do three different workouts. Keep the other two days the way they are with yoga and cardio.

2. Alternate muscle groups on three days a week and alternate the machines similar to above only not full body. Keep the other two days the way they are with yoga and cardio.

3. Alternate muscle groups on three days a week and alternate the machines similar to above only not full body and on the two days I do yoga do a different muscle group and the cardio.

I'm not sure what you mean by a military style workout. If you mean calethetics, obsticle courses and running then I don't know if I have the space. It is way to hot here in the summer for outside stuff.
    Merry.

Hey Day1BroncoFan, and sorry for mixing your name earlier. It was early and thats the story I'm sticking to.

Anyhow, to your question and a little clarification.

I think it's excellent your doing a cardio and yoga day. I do yoga once a week, twice if I'm feeling froggy (4 days are weight traning, each with a run before weight training). I will say Yoga is an excellent workout, and since you will be holding positions for long periods of time you will build white muscle through it. It's one of the better ways to slam your body, burn tons of calories, and get a slight muscle more endurance workout.

Back to your question though. Those 6 different sets of 10 reps (10 reps per set, not 20 right?) are they stacked or are other muscle groups finding their way inbetween each bicep workout? I say this because 2 sets of 10 reps is again not enough to start building strength or mass, just enough to get them pumped up. If they are stacked thats fine, and as I said before you have to figure out what works best for you, but I would still temper that 4 sets in a row is going long term to produce better results. Even if you decide to instead do 4 sets, 2 workouts your results will be better.

Also I guess another question is are you building your sets (starting at a lower weight and slowly building up weight with each set?) breaking down your sets (starting at a high weight and then lowering the weight as rep count dwindles) or just doing the same weight amount? Personally I like breaking down on most workout, except the bench press and squats. I would say if yoru sticking with one weight, increase rep count on the first two sets and lower it the bottom two. Building your sets, I would pick a rep number that is average difficulty for you to do on set 1, but difficult to pull off by set 4. Breaking down, start at a high weight, pick an average number such as 10 reps, and try as hard as you can to stick to that number. When unable to reach it, drop the weight amount

How long are you taking between sets as well? You should be taking, at maximum, only 2 minutes between sets. This is a good amount of time for your muscles to recover but not to much as to not be effectively working them out.

As for the three options you listed, I would go with #2 and breaking your muscle groups up, but sticking exclusively to cardio and yoga on tuesday thursday. If it were me, this is how I would break it up.

Day 1 - Bicep/Upper Back/Neck
    Day 2 - Cardio/Yoga
    Day 3 - Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
    Day 4 - Cardio/Yoga
    Day 5 - Legs/Core

If you find that to much for your weight lifiting days I would then use option #3 and sprinkle neck in on day 2, and shoulders in on day 4.

Military style workouts are calisthenics. That is:

Push Ups

Diamond Push Ups

Wide Arm Push Ups

More advanced push ups

Dive Bomber Push Up

Superman Push Ups

-------------------

Overhead arm claps (I have no idea why they are doing PT indoors in a gym, or why the hell they have their PT belts on still unless they are going on a run after)

Also, after completing overhead arm claps, hold out hands to the side for as long as you can. After you cannot, do an overhead military press with no weights on your hands, and do 10 - 15 reps very slowly.

Flutter kicks (be sure to keep yoru head off the ground as the video says, thats how you hit the abs)

Mountain Climbers

Then of course sit ups, crunches, and...

The Supine Bicycle

Theres a lot more like up down go's, receiving push ups, blah blah blah. That should be a good start if you want to use them.

I'll get into free weights vs machines tomorrow or some other time. I think its very important, when possible, to use free weights. For a multitude of reasons, and there are always free weight options where you wont need a spotter and where we can avoid your knee problem. Anyhow hope that helps.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

That helps a lot. Yes I meant 10 reps

The way I'm doing it right now is I just work through the machines in the order they're laid out on the gym floor. As an example I don't go to one bicep machine and then directly to another. There may be one or more different machines in between.

I guess I'll just stick to one machine and do more reps for a given day and change the machine from week to week. Right now I am doing the same weight for both sets on the same machine but try to increase the weight as I go along. It is kind of hard to judge that since the machines are different. One of the machines uses air pressure as resistance with buttons to increase/decrease. That would be easier to figure that out if I only use one machine on a given day.

There are a lot of things that can be done with dumbells that would not need a spotter.

Thanks for reading and the input.
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    That helps a lot. Yes I meant 10 reps

The way I'm doing it right now is I just work through the machines in the order they're laid out on the gym floor. As an example I don't go to one bicep machine and then directly to another. There may be one or more different machines in between.

I guess I'll just stick to one machine and do more reps for a given day and change the machine from week to week. Right now I am doing the same weight for both sets on the same machine but try to increase the weight as I go along. It is kind of hard to judge that since the machines are different. One of the machines uses air pressure as resistance with buttons to increase/decrease. That would be easier to figure that out if I only use one machine on a given day.

There are a lot of things that can be done with dumbells that would not need a spotter.

Thanks for reading and the input.
    NP. I'll say this from personal experience. When I first started working out when I was 18 I would do a full body workout on a similar schedule to yours. By the second month, because I was not giving certain muscles enough time to recover, I tore my rotator cuff and was out for 6 months. The set back hurt me far worse then anything else I could have done. I would definitely start breaking up your muscle groups and sticking with it. I think you will find those muscles get a better workout on those days because you'll be hitting them harder and with more frequency, and you can avoid injury.

If you are not feeling sore or having issue with yoru muscles with full body workouts, then I would also temper your not working out hard enough on those muscle groups, or simply dont have the time because your trying to do to much at once.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

That's more or less what I meant. I would go on the #2 schedule and only use one of the machines for a particular muscle and work that for 4 sets, decreasing the weight with each set so I can barely do the 10 reps each time.

On the yoga days I would stick to what I am doing now and not do any weight training.

I used to do more stuff than this when I was at work five days a week but that was before I turned 45. I am now 58 so... maybe not.

EDIT:

I forgot to add that say I do biceps on Monday on one machine, I would do a different machine the following Monday and so on...
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    That's more or less what I meant. I would go on the #2 schedule and only use one of the machines for a particular muscle and work that for 4 sets, decreasing the weight with each set so I can barely do the 10 reps each time.

On the yoga days I would stick to what I am doing now and not do any weight training.

I used to do more stuff than this when I was at work five days a week but that was before I turned 45. I am now 58 so... maybe not.
    Awesome, always remember, no matter how sometimes I might phrase this its always suggestions. You're going to do what you want regardless and I understand my way isn't the only way. I'm just speaking from personal experience and from my understanding of how muscles build mass and maximizing what you get out of each workout. I also don't know everything either so there may be information out there that shows your way is effective, I just don't know it.

On an unrelated dietary note, and theres a lot of good dietary information I think we can spit out there by lot of people here, but remember when your working out your muscles react very differently. Muscular increase its ability to use carbohydrates by 50% and the increase in protein absorption goes up by 80%. Basically if you eat up to 1 hour after you workout, or eat shortly before you workout, your muscles will absorb more nutrients and you are far more likely to avoid undue soreness (soreness comes from micro tears, lack of energy after working out, and lactic acid in the second stage of anerobic muscular activity). Those carbs and proteins also won't be going to yoru belly or other places you might not want it to venture in the form of fat . Theres a lot of nutritional information we can go over but I'll leave that for another time.

Edit on your edit: Thats excellent. I'm sure you know its important to keep those muscles guessing and thats a great way.
    Last edited by BigBroncLove; 05-26-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information