Page 4 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Workout thread

It's really hard for me to make time in the summer for exercise. My kids are still small, and need constant supervision. I stay up too late at night, so I sleep in the mornings. Keep it up guys, your dedication is inspiring, and maybe I'll be a little less lazy soon.
    This space available for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Good plan...but cals might be a little low for P90X. Don't slack on the eating. It's more important than the workouts themselves.

Can't wait to see you hit your goal...
    I know that it is lower than what it should be. And if I were in good condition, I would go with the suggested maintenance calories and do the workouts. And when I get around my desired weight, I will eat at maintenance. But I think weight loss comes down to calories in verses calories out. If you want to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. I also wanted to see whether or not all the information regarding eating is accurate. Half the time you get conflicting/contradicting information on workouts.

I took a break from the cutting calories for the holiday. But now it is back to it. Have felt no loss of energy or strength with the cut in calories. I made gains from the 1st week of the exercise program to the 2nd week. The calories that I am eating are coming from healthy sources. We will see.

Adopted Bronco:
    ME!

Took third in my age group and 9th over all in the 10k this weekend with a time of 45.26. There were 75 runners in the 10k and of those 75, 25 of them were in my age bracket, so I am pretty thrilled with my results. Not to mention, I got my first medal of my short running career.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived BMF Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    It's really hard for me to make time in the summer for exercise. My kids are still small, and need constant supervision. I stay up too late at night, so I sleep in the mornings. Keep it up guys, your dedication is inspiring, and maybe I'll be a little less lazy soon.
    You can exercise anytime you want and you dont' need a bunch of fancy equipment to do it. You could do it when the kids are napping. The kids may even want to join mommy in the fun (get in the way ).

You can just do body weight exercises and gain a lot. It only takes 30-45 minutes a day to get into decent shape.
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    You can exercise anytime you want and you dont' need a bunch of fancy equipment to do it. You could do it when the kids are napping. The kids may even want to join mommy in the fun (get in the way ).

You can just do body weight exercises and gain a lot. It only takes 30-45 minutes a day to get into decent shape.
    Kids napping? I wish! It's not really so much of them getting in my way, but the cats. I bring out the yoga mat and they decide it's a good scratching pad or a place to stretch out and attack my feet.
    This space available for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I know that it is lower than what it should be. And if I were in good condition, I would go with the suggested maintenance calories and do the workouts. And when I get around my desired weight, I will eat at maintenance. But I think weight loss comes down to calories in verses calories out. If you want to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. I also wanted to see whether or not all the information regarding eating is accurate. Half the time you get conflicting/contradicting information on workouts.

I took a break from the cutting calories for the holiday. But now it is back to it. Have felt no loss of energy or strength with the cut in calories. I made gains from the 1st week of the exercise program to the 2nd week. The calories that I am eating are coming from healthy sources. We will see.
    if you don't feel a loss of energy, then it's probably ok. the problem with cutting too many calories is that your body can actually go into a retention mode, where your metabolism slows because of the decreased calorie intake. IIRC from an ESS class i took a while ago, this will occur at about 1300 cal/day for men... that number not including an intensive workout program... if you aren't noticing results, you may actually benefit from eating more!

all that said, i really don't know what i'm talking about, so whatever lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

8. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    if you don't feel a loss of energy, then it's probably ok. the problem with cutting too many calories is that your body can actually go into a retention mode, where your metabolism slows because of the decreased calorie intake. IIRC from an ESS class i took a while ago, this will occur at about 1300 cal/day for men... that number not including an intensive workout program... if you aren't noticing results, you may actually benefit from eating more!

all that said, i really don't know what i'm talking about, so whatever lol.
    Thanks. I am sure that the amount varies depending on the size of the person. The stuff that I have read states that your body will go into that mode after a long period of time without eating much. The calorie reduction is only for a short time. With so much contradiction from people, I figured I would give it a shot and let my body tell me if it wasn't working.

I weighed myself yesterday. 2 weeks into the diet/exercise routine and I have dropped 9 pounds. When I drop 6 more I will up my calories back up to a couple hundred below my maintenance level until I lose the rest. Still no loss in energy or gains. I have been doing more in the P90X workout and have upped my runs to 3.5 miles a day. Hopefully I can drop those 6 in the next 2 weeks and get back to eating some more though. I love eating.

10. The Following User High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    Kids napping? I wish! It's not really so much of them getting in my way, but the cats. I bring out the yoga mat and they decide it's a good scratching pad or a place to stretch out and attack my feet.
    Lock the cats in the bathroom or toss them outside.
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
    Took third in my age group and 9th over all in the 10k this weekend with a time of 45.26. There were 75 runners in the 10k and of those 75, 25 of them were in my age bracket, so I am pretty thrilled with my results. Not to mention, I got my first medal of my short running career.

kickass BMF

Adopted Bronco:
    ME!

Holy shit man, so I have been working out like a madman, running, biking, trail runs, softball, etc., and my metabolism, which I thought at one point was dead, is on overdrive, I eat like a pig, AT LEAST 6 meals a day and when I stepped on my scale this morning, 176! At my heaviest point about 18 months ago, I weighed 256. 80 friggin pounds! I never in a million years would have thought I would weigh this little. When I went into the Air Force in 1993 I weighed 175, and this is the first time I have been here since. But I am a lot stronger physically then I was back then. My bench continues to increase, as does everything else. I am so friggin happy, I can hardly contain myself. In my own little ego-trip, I was looking in the mirror and looking at the flab I have left about the mid-section and pressed my fingers into it and the indents from my fingers remained there. (gross mental pic I know and I do apologize) But I am not sure if what I have left is mostly fat or the "I once was fat but lost a shit ton of weight" skin that hangs around. Either way, I am thrilled. Thank you for bearing with my self promotion here.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived BMF Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Great news BMF. I weighed 175 in 1973 when I went into the Army. I haven't seen it since I stopped working as a heavy equipment mechanic in 1994. I am at 182 now.

I am modifying my workout. I just can't get the for down on the squats so I'm changing to a three day split.

Basically this:

Day 1 (Monday)
    Pull-ups - as many sets as necessary to get to 30
    Flat BB Bench 5x5
    Bent over Row 5x5
    Leg Press 5x5
    BB Curls 3x10

Wednesday
    Pull ups -as many sets as needed to get 30 reps
    Dips 5x10
    Dead Lifts 5x5
    Leg Press 5x5

Friday
    Pull ups - as many sets as necessary to get to 30
    Flat BB Bench Press 5x5
    Bent Over Row - 5x5
    DB shoulder press 3x8
    BB Curls - 3x8

I'm going backpacking on 7/22 so I won't be working out until I get back from that. I want to make sure I'm rested and not injured. When I return at the end of the month I'll start the new workout.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Mike, how's that P90X working for you?? Have you ever tried the Crossfit programs and if so do you like P90X or Crossfit better?

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

OK, an update on my workouts. I am only going to list the weights on the last set of the five and I have went to 5 sets of 5 on each excersize.

The (started at ###) is the weight I started doing the last set with when I began this workout.

Day 1 (Monday)
    Pull-ups -as many sets as needed to get 30 -Right now I am doing these with assist
    Flat BB Bench 5x5 -Right now I am doing 145 on the last set (started at 100)
    Bent over Row 5x5 -Right now I am doing 125 on the last set (started at 100)
    Leg Press 5x5 -Right now doing 370 (started at 240)
    BB Curls 5x5 -Right now doing 70 (started at 45)

Wednesday
    Pull ups -as many sets as needed to get 30 -Same as above
    Dips 5x5 -Using the same assist here as for the Pull ups
    Dead Lifts 5x5 -Right now doing 210 (started at 150)
    Leg Press 5x5 -Same as above

Friday
    Pull ups - as many sets as necessary to get to 30 -Same as above
    Flat BB Bench Press 5x5 -Same as above
    Bent Over Row - 5x5 -Same as above
    DB shoulder press 5x5 -Right now doing 35 on each arm (Started at 25)
    BB Curls - 5x5 -Same as above

I plan on changing this some next year by adding and varying the excersizes.

I am still yoga on Tuesday and Thursday. I ride to the gym when I can also which is most of the time.

I am riding anywhere from 50 to 100 miles a week. I didn't ride today because of rain and am stuck inside.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

So much of staying in shape is staying active.

19. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    So much of staying in shape is staying active.

Merry.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information