Page 3 of 212 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Workout thread

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Congrats BMF on the relay showing.

This is my whole thing I'm doing right now. I am more interested in the endurance end than in any other part.

I alternate days on the workout A and B. So one week it's A, B, A. The next week it's B, A, B. I do this on M, W, F.

workout A
    Ride the bike to the gym (about 15 mins and 3.8 miles).
    (not counting warmups)
    squats 3x5
    bench press 3x5
    deadlift 3x5
    leg lifts 3x10 (hanging from straps with weight on upper arms and lift kness up to chest)
    bicycle crunches and long arm crunches 3x20 (I hammer these one after the other alternating)
    Seated Oblique Twists with Medicine Ball 3x15
    seated/standing calf raises 3x15 for each
    20 minutes on the stair master
    Ride the bike home

The only thing different right now with workout B
    ride to gym
    squats 3x5
    military press 3x5
    bent bb row 3.5
    same abs as above
    same stair master as above
    same calf work as above
    ride home

Tuesday and Thursday
    ride bike to gym
    20 minutes on the treadmill
    1 hour of yoga
    20 minutes on the cardio machine of choice but not the treadmill or stair master.
    ride bike home

Sat, Sun honey do list
    Merry.

2. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

Sounds like a good plan Day1. For me I can no longer do a purely white muscle or endurance workout. I lose mass in about two weeks without regularly pressing my muscles hard with free weight. I'm also surprised how quickly you can start losing overall strength in that same time period if I don't do a pretty pressing muscular workout.

For me, muscle endurance is all about the military day. Don't do it on compound week, but port a day for isolation week and I try, usually successfully but not always, to put in a week where I generally will do a mix of yoga and MMA type of training (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai) every month. I try and keep up with that from my military days but must admit I have a hard time keeping up with some of the newer guys out there who have spent more extensive time training in each specific art then me. Especially Muay Thai.

I do the same with alternating my crunchs/supine bicycle. Try only allowing 30 seconds between each set. It will rock your core

Sounds like you got a good grasp of the workouts now and yoru plan. Keep it up and tell us about your progress
    Last edited by BigBroncLove; 06-16-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    Temp sig till I find another one

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by BigBroncLove View Post
    Sounds like a good plan Day1. For me I can no longer do a purely white muscle or endurance workout. I lose mass in about two weeks without regularly pressing my muscles hard with free weight. I'm also surprised how quickly you can start losing overall strength in that same time period if I don't do a pretty pressing muscular workout.

For me, muscle endurance is all about the military day. Don't do it on compound week, but port a day for isolation week and I try, usually successfully but not always, to put in a week where I generally will do a mix of yoga and MMA type of training (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai) every month. I try and keep up with that from my military days but must admit I have a hard time keeping up with some of the newer guys out there who have spent more extensive time training in each specific art then me. Especially Muay Thai.

I do the same with alternating my crunchs/supine bicycle. Try only allowing 30 seconds between each set. It will rock your core

Sounds like you got a good grasp of the workouts now and yoru plan. Keep it up and tell us about your progress
    I'm going backpacking on 7/15. I let you know it this helped me out any this year compared to last year not doing any weights. I did nothing last year but rode the bike and walked. My shoulders and legs killed me for the first 3 days carrying around a 50 pound pack.

I'm not doing this for the backpacking trip and won't stop after but it should help me either way.
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm going backpacking on 7/15. I let you know it this helped me out any this year compared to last year not doing any weights. I did nothing last year but rode the bike and walked. My shoulders and legs killed me for the first 3 days carrying around a 50 pound pack.

I'm not doing this for the backpacking trip and won't stop after but it should help me either way.
    It definitely should. I'll say lugging a 70 pound pack for 20 some old miles at a forced march pace in the military, I noticed a huge difference when I started doing squats, even only a few weeks in.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

It definitely should. I'll say lugging a 70 pound pack for 20 some old miles at a forced march pace in the military, I noticed a huge difference when I started doing squats, even only a few weeks in.
    Sounds good. I'm looking forward to the backpacking, it's a new passion of mine discovered last year. I have day hiked but never backpacked until last year. Nothing like carrying a 50 pound pack 65 miles in 10 days to get you all relaxed.
    Merry.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to the backpacking, it's a new passion of mine discovered last year. I have day hiked but never backpacked until last year. Nothing like carrying a 50 pound pack 65 miles in 10 days to get you all relaxed.
    Where ya going. Its been ages, but I always loved it. You can't get a glimpse of real wilderness without hiking a few days to find it. I mostly backpack in Wyoming, when I get the chance which is rare. Gotta say I'm a jealous ******* Day1.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Where ya going. Its been ages, but I always loved it. You can't get a glimpse of real wilderness without hiking a few days to find it. I mostly backpack in Wyoming, when I get the chance which is rare. Gotta say I'm a jealous ******* Day1.
    We're going to the Sierra's. We'll probably go in somewhere by Lonepine, CA.

This is a topo map of the area.
    We may or may not be on that exact trail but this is the area.

Here is a link to the google map.

We went in more or less the same area last year but didn't go to Cottonwood Lakes. This year will be shorter hike but we'll do day hikes from a base camp.
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    ME!

Finished that torture fest they called the Jim Bridger Trail Run in just under 2 hours. It was 10 miles, 2k elevation gain, and through blown out streams. It was fun, AFTER THE FACT, but man, my legs are killing me still. My goal was sub two hours and beat it by three minutes! woohoO!

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BMF Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Great job BMF!!

I have modified my workout. It's still closely based on SS but I've made a few changes. The SS program is basically designed for teens that are interested in gaining bulk and strength. I am not interested in either of those specifically, especially the bulking part. I am not eating the amount of food it would take to do the program properly. I cannot add weight to each exercise on each workout. I am taking a more conservative aproach and intend to add weight once a week to each exercise for now. My goals are to increase my endurance, drop some fat and get fit. That is not the original intention of the SS program.

I am on a slight caloric deficit. I have been shedding the fat slowly but surely. I am getting better in the cardio stuff since I started.

Here is what I did on the last two workouts (the A and B workouts plus what I added).

A:
    Squats 165 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press 105 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 185 x 5 x 1
    Captains chair crunches 10 x 3
    (below with DB's)
    Concentration curls 20 x 10 x 3
    Hammer curls 10 x 10 x 3
    French curls 10 x 10 x 3
    Kickbacks 10 x 10 x 3

B:
    Squats 1 x 5 x 3
    Press 70 x 5 x 3
    Pendlay Rows 115 x 5 x 3
    Hanging knee raises 10 x 3 (no added weight)
    Assisted dips 10 x 3 (52lbs assist)
    Assisted chinups 10 x 3 (52lbs assist)

I am still doing the cardio but have upped the time to 20 minutes after the weights and gone to level 7 from level 4 on the stairmaster. For the before on yoga day I am at 10º of tilt and still at 4mph.

My plan is to add at least one ab exercise and to attack one or more specific muscles with a few extras. I feel as long as I'm not dead after and can still function for the rest of the day I should be OK. I just have to eat enough of the right stuff.

Merry.

12. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

I need to lose 15-20 pounds. My goal is to have it off before Labor day.

I started last Thursday.

My workout: P90X, elliptical, jogging

Diet: 1600 cals/day

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I started last Thursday.

I've heard the p90x is a kick butt workout. You should have no problems losing that much by then unless you're already skinny.
    Merry.

16. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

I've heard the p90x is a kick butt workout. You should have no problems losing that much by then unless you're already skinny.
    I am starting the 2nd week today. It is intense. I am sure you can go easy...but workouts shouldn't be half-assed.

I am not skinny, but not fat. Just a little squishy around the middle. By working out, running, and dropping my calories down to 1600/day, I expect to have no problems dropping the extra pounds. Just have to stay motivated.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

I am starting the 2nd week today. It is intense. I am sure you can go easy...but workouts shouldn't be half-assed.

I am not skinny, but not fat. Just a little squishy around the middle. By working out, running, and dropping my calories down to 1600/day, I expect to have no problems dropping the extra pounds. Just have to stay motivated.
    I can relate to the squishy around the middle. I been riding the bike for 5 years but from the waist up I am jello. That's changing since I started lifting 3 months ago.

I probably don't need to lose weight but I have some fat I'd like to lose. I have lost some fat. My pants don't fit me right any more. I started at 179. I went up to 189 right after I started and am at 182 - 186 now for the last 2 months.

The last few weeks my wife and I have been going to yoga together on Tuesday and Thursday so I've missed some of the cardio but it hasn't made a difference with me dropping the fat.

Keep up the motivation. That's the hard part for me. I feel like staying home some days but go anyway.
    Merry.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

I started last Thursday.

Good plan...but cals might be a little low for P90X. Don't slack on the eating. It's more important than the workouts themselves.

Can't wait to see you hit your goal...

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Keep up the motivation. That's the hard part for me. I feel like staying home some days but go anyway.
    Getting motivated and taking the time is the hardest part! I haven't PT'd in several months and I've gained weight which I usually hover around 190-195 and now I'm at 215! I make my sons PT and lift light weights but I'm too damn lazy to start up again.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information