Bob Howsam

Seems overcomplicated.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Seems overcomplicated.
    How so?

50 people walk in a gym, know the workout, know what weight to use, how many reps to do, how long to do, standard for scoring etc no matter their age, sex, fitness level, etc and all the coach has to do is start the clock and walk around correcting form/ motivating.

Easy as can be and great workouts. It's essentially what I did in the Corps forever...

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    How so?

50 people walk in a gym, know the workout, know what weight to use, how many reps to do, how long to do, standard for scoring etc no matter their age, sex, fitness level, etc and all the coach has to do is start the clock and walk around correcting form/ motivating.

Easy as can be and great workouts. It's essentially what I did in the Corps forever...
    So my remaining question is, wtf do you do with drastically different strength levels amongst same sex? Also, I'm not keen on everyone doing the same weights for everything if that's what is actually happening there. The fresh faced beanpole is going to kill himself trying to DL 225, and the seasoned vet can do it for days. I get that you time it and all, but having undertrained individuals doing the same weights as trained individuals seems a recipe for bad stuff to me

Edit: No offense intended of course. I've done circuit workouts, not run by a CrossFit gym, and enjoyed them.

SHORYUKEN!

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Zweems56 View Post
    So my remaining question is, wtf do you do with drastically different strength levels amongst same sex? Also, I'm not keen on everyone doing the same weights for everything if that's what is actually happening there. The fresh faced beanpole is going to kill himself trying to DL 225, and the seasoned vet can do it for days. I get that you time it and all, but having undertrained individuals doing the same weights as trained individuals seems a recipe for bad stuff to me

Edit: No offense intended of course. I've done circuit workouts, not run by a CrossFit gym, and enjoyed them.
    If you're not up to the Rx weight you scale. Typically the increment will be what is there, say 75/55 so if can't do 75 do 55, if you can't do 55 do 35, etc.

You really can scale as needed for any exercise. Not just weight, but even exercises. Every movement has an easier scale.

If we're doing anything with real weights, for instance let's say power cleans, part of the warmup is a scale where they break down the components of the lift and drill it to ensure everyone is doing it correctly and then they build to Rx weight. The coach is VERY attentive and will tell you to drop weight, etc, or for the fire breathers, tell them to add.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

How so?

Yeah, when you put it like that, its mindless.

But the whole crossfit culture has taken something very simple (exercise) and turned it in to this super complicated lingo-filled THING. I've just never understood it. Why rename something like the military press? Why differentiate between strict and not strict movements? I just don't get it.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Yeah, when you put it like that, its mindless.

But the whole crossfit culture has taken something very simple (exercise) and turned it in to this super complicated lingo-filled THING. I've just never understood it. Why rename something like the military press? Why differentiate between strict and not strict movements? I just don't get it.
    There's a difference actually. A military press is a strict form movement, an overhead press is not as strict. OHP you're allowed to bend your knees slightly and use your legs to assist upward momentum, military press you're not.

Not a jerk mind you, just enough to get the momentum going.

Same difference for strict anything, ie pullups. Strict are no kipping/swinging/bicycle etc allowed whereas it's ok to do those things if the workout doesn't call for strict.

It's a combination of strength and cardio, sometimes it's more important to keep the heart rate going so you don't want to force strict reps, other times it's more important to build strength/form or whatever and the workout will call for strict.

Exercise has never been simple, we still have a lot to learn in fact. It's not what you're used to, cool, but it's not complicated.

7. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

There's a difference actually. A military press is a strict form movement, an overhead press is not as strict. OHP you're allowed to bend your knees slightly and use your legs to assist upward momentum, military press you're not.

Same difference for strict anything, ie pullups. Strict are no kipping/swinging/bicycle etc allowed whereas it's ok to do those things if the workout doesn't call for strict.

It's a combination of strength and cardio, sometimes it's more important to keep the heart rate going so you don't want to force strict reps, other times it's more important to build strength/form or whatever and the workout will call for strict.

Exercise has never been simple, we still have a lot to learn in fact. It's not what you're used to, cool, but it's not complicated.
    I respect the hell out of crossfit athletes. They're freaks. I did a couple WODs back in the day just to see what it was all about. It was intense but it's not for me. I'd rather go to the gym, lift, do some cardio, and bounce.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I respect the hell out of crossfit athletes. They're freaks. I did a couple WODs back in the day just to see what it was all about. It was intense but it's not for me. I'd rather go to the gym, lift, do some cardio, and bounce.
    Yeah, and I mostly agree with you. Mostly. What I found since retiring is the camaraderie and group workout, etc is a lot of my motivation for keeping on track and truly putting forth effort that will make me better.

I was missing it sorely on my personal workouts so I joined the crossfit gym. Glad I did, we have a great group of folks from gifted athletes to people 100 pound overweight and working it to get better.

They all hold me accountable just by being there and working and keep me motivated to excel.

Here's the group from Monday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FXT38469.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	14314

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

That's just awesome no matter what.

I don't really miss the comradery because there wasn't much of it where I came from unless you were deployed. I'm kind of a loner most of the time so I'm fine without it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

See, I consider OHP to be strict, and I call what you're naming OHP "push press." Military press, to me, is seated. When I gave you my max OHP before, that was strict (your military press). My push press (your ohp) should be significantly higher, but I don't do it. I'm likely going to be trying it more often, though, because strict pressing isn't exactly advantageous in strongman.

SHORYUKEN!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

See, I consider OHP to be strict, and I call what you're naming OHP "push press." Military press, to me, is seated. When I gave you my max OHP before, that was strict (your military press). My push press (your ohp) should be significantly higher, but I don't do it. I'm likely going to be trying it more often, though, because strict pressing isn't exactly advantageous in strongman.
    I've always differentiated standing versus seated. If I'm doing the movement while standing, I would call it "standing military press" or "standing shoulder press". This is one of my favorite movements bee tee dubs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190603-204527.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	14354

Week 3 on a drastic cut and I want to die. I'm trying to keep running building the Monolith despite the fact that you're supposed to eat something like 5k calories or more and I'm currently eating 1600. Today is the first day of the first "heavy" week. I had to scale squats back based on how I felt on my workup sets. Working sets were at 355 instead of 370, then down
    to 340 for the remaining 4x5. Everything else went okay, but I really feel the lack of energy on my squat and bench. Ohp and deadlift haven't been a problem at all. In fact, last week I was scheduled for 3x5 @ 370 deads and I made it 2x5@405 and 1x8@405 to finish out. Felt super good about that.

I'm down 6 lbs in 2 weeks and I figure I've got 2 more weeks to go.

SHORYUKEN!

14. The Following User High Fived Zweems56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Today was a conditioning day, but I let my buddy convince me to do arms. I hate arms. Curls are stupid. "Pump"s are stupid. After he left, I did heavy sled pushes until I fell on my face and it made me feel better about my day.

SHORYUKEN!

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Zweems56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Today was a conditioning day, but I let my buddy convince me to do arms. I hate arms. Curls are stupid. "Pump"s are stupid. After he left, I did heavy sled pushes until I fell on my face and it made me feel better about my day.
    I hate "arm day". Curls ARE stupid. The guys that stand in front of a mirror admiring themselves while they do shitty form curls with way too much weight are even more stupid.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

I hate "arm day". Curls ARE stupid. The guys that stand in front of a mirror admiring themselves while they do shitty form curls with way too much weight are even more stupid.
    I get more than enough bicep work from neutral grip chins every week, thanks. The only "arm" work that I WANT to do is close grip bench and forearm work in the form of grip training.

SHORYUKEN!

20. The Following User High Fived Zweems56 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information