Page 11 of 212 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Workout thread

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Egg whites are good but the yolks contain all of the cholesterol and saturated fat.
    Eggs are good for a once in a while mix up.
    This space available for lease.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Yep...but I try to stay away from the yolks. I'll boil eggs and just eat the whites, but the yolks go in the trash or I give 'em to someone at work who likes just plain yolks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Keith, try some ZMA pills. Basically it's zinc and magnesium, but it will also keep you from waking up hungry and you will also sleep like a hibernating bear. I got some free with my ON casein protein and am hooked
    Thanks, I'll check them out. I had read a little about ZMA. Helping me sleep better would be a huge plus.

Funny... ZMA turned up on a LiveStrong.com list of 20 most overrated supplements..... but so did 5 or 6 that I currently take.... and believe in.

One example was CLA. CLA works just fine for me. Overrated or not.
    Last edited by keithbishop; 11-14-2011 at 12:57 AM.

4. The Following User High Fived keithbishop For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Don't take creatine monohydrate. That shit is worthless. If you want creatine to help you make permanent gains without the bloating and cycling, losing what you gained when you stop taking it, etc, take kre-alkalyn. There are many different brands that make it.
    WHAT!!! Creatine is worthless?? Please please please elaborate on that response and tell me why YOU think it is worthless.

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Are you doing their diet, Dave? If so, props to you for sticking with that. I ended up giving up on it after 2 weeks. I felt like a miserable SOB with so few carbs. Instead I just went with a strict calorie deficit.

Are you doing the X-stretch? Toss that one in on your off day and you will like it. Very relaxing and beneficial. Along with Ab Ripper X, X stretch is one I still use every few days.
    I dont do "their diet" so much as I eat clean..
    which they taught me..
    and I tailor my intake to what I am doing.

If on a regular day.. a guy burns 2,000 calories..
    the intake should be around 1,600... a 400 calorie deficit is healthy.

To starve oneself is counter productive.

So...add in a workout where a guy burns 700 calories...
    the intake needs to be upped by that 700....

So days where I am working hard...
    coming home and working out hard..
    I eat more... clean , but more.

Resistance days I eat a lot more protein....
    cardo days I eat a bit less..

but I ALWAYS do a recovery drink right after workout.

That said.. I had the flu.. bad.
    Then work and life got in the way..
    I was laid low.

So... I only had a good solid 5 weeks of the X...

and have been "healing" for about a 3 weeks/ a month...
    doing a good bit of cardio these last 2 weeks....

The cool thing is... I ate so little when I had the flu...
    and have been keeping my intake low since I am not working out..

that I have shrunk down a bit... and it seems like less fat...
    my strength and muscles are intact.

Life hands you lemons .. you make lemonade.

Tommorrow.. Monday.. I start all over .. again.

gearing up for 90 days ...
    AFC WEST Champions
    Steelers HATE US.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived PAINTERDAVE For This Post:

Mike, SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    WHAT!!! Creatine is worthless?? Please please please elaborate on that response and tell me why YOU think it is worthless.
    I messed with creatine... and it probably helped in my initial transformation/muscle building... (first year)

but I found that as time went on.. and I was continuing it...
    that it gave me a "thick in the middle" syndrome.

Tony Horton is not a big fan of creatine...
    the p90x recovery drink only has a trace.

I am not judging it's use...
    but I have had much more success cutting fat without it.

I am leaner and meaner without it.

Just one guy's opinion/perspective.
    AFC WEST Champions
    Steelers HATE US.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Egg whites are good but the yolks contain all of the cholesterol and saturated fat.
    Really??? Not busting your balls or anything, but this is one of the biggest MYTHS ever when it comes to eggs. The WHOLE egg gets such a bad rap its not even funny. The American public is so mis-informed when it comes to diet and nutrition it is no wonder that the obesity rate has skyrocketed in the past 20 years.

Just in case anyone wants to know the facts about the EGG as a whole, let me post some. And in the future, I recommend people do their own research whenever they "hear" something from the media, friends, co-workers, etc. I have always found it best to do my own research then rely on what someone else I know says..unless they are a registered dietician

Eggs:

The yolks contain so many B-vitamins, trace minerals, vitamin A, folate, choline, lutein, and other powerful nutrients... it's not even worth trying to list them all. If you want to know what those nutrients are...go research them and the benefits of them.

In fact, the egg whites have minimal nutrients compared to the yolks.

Even the protein in egg whites isn't as powerful without the yolks to balance out the amino acid profile and make the protein more bio-available.

Yolks contain more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, and B12, and panthothenic acid of the egg. Yolks contain ALL of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K in the egg, as well as ALL of the essential fatty acids (EFAs).

"Egg whites are good but the yolks contain all of the cholesterol and saturated fats"

No, this is FALSE!

First of all, when you eat a food that contains a high amount of dietary cholesterol such as eggs, your body down-regulates it's internal production of cholesterol to balance things out.

Buttttt, if you don't eat enough cholesterol, your body simply produces more since cholesterol has dozens of important vital functions in the body.

There have been plenty of studies lately that indicate that eating whole eggs actually raises your good HDL cholesterol to a higher degree than LDL cholesterol, thereby improving your overall cholesterol ratio and blood chemistry.

Another misconception about cholesterol....

high cholesterol is NOT a disease! Heart disease is a disease...but high cholesterol is NOT. Cholesterol is actually a VERY important substance in your body and has vitally important functions...

t

Lastly, the yolks contain the antioxidant lutein as well as other antioxidants which can help protect you from inflammation within your body (the REAL culprit in heart disease, not dietary cholesterol!), giving yet another reason why the yolks are actually GOOD for you, and not detrimental.

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Creatine 101...a great video..he even mentions kre-alkaline ha ha ha..but nothing is better than good ol straight pure creatine monohydrate. The video is by Shawn Phillips - co-founder of the once SUPER Giant Supplement company EAS before him and his brother Bill sold it and since the company has been run into the ground.

http://creatine-101.vip2site.com/

Creatine Myth article...very good stuff.

http://www.startstrongmonday.com/201...atine-myth-71/

12. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by keithbishop View Post
    The same friend told me about chia seed. Chia seed can be blended in for a minute, then left to sit for 5 minutes.... then blended again. Fills you up (as does the flaxseed). Chia seed soaks up a ton of liquid. I read that letting it set in liquid overnight allows chia seed to work even better. I generally do that. Even if it doesn't work better, you don't have to let it set the extra 5 minutes in the morning. Chia seed is to be followed up with at least 8 oz of clear liquid. No chance I wouldn't drink water, anyways.

Chia Seeds are the BOMB!!! A hidden gem that not too many people know about. A SUPERFOOD that is loaded with anitoxidents, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

14. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don't forget, pounds are lost in the kitchen. Cut calories and you will lose weight regardless of what you are doing with exercises.
    Gospel.

Abs are made in the kitchen.

Only thing is.. try THIS perspective.

We Americans are focused on losing weight. It is an easy way to quantify progress. We all want to say.. " I lost XX lbs". When I had completed my first round of the P90X.. a friend was bragging me up to people.. telling them Dave "Lost like 30 lbs".

That was how he tried to quantify the change he could see in me.
    I only lost 8 lbs, though. lol The added muslce has weight.

Instead of thinking a bout "losing wieght".. I focus on gaining muscle and cutting fat. Add dense, compact muscle.. loose bulky, fluffy fat.... however you may not lose much weight in doing so... But your clothes fit better... you need smaller sizes.... and you are in better shape. I have not weighed myself in many months. My scale is dusty.

When the focus is "losing wieght" .. often people starve themselves and lose muscle, while they only shrink their fat cells. Then the metabolsim is out of whack.. and when they resume their old eating habits... the fat cellls balloon and they have less muscle than before.. and they are worse off.

Muscle burns fat in and of itself.

Adding muscle... burning fat... and eating right ( small, "clean" portions often)
    ramps up the metabolism. It really does not take a long time to see great results.

It does not take long to get in.. or OUT.. of shape.

Nutrion combined with varying exercise ( Muscle Confusion) is the best way to get in better shape.

__________________________________________________ _______

About the X.. if you want to do it... at home.. no gym...
    YOU CAN achieve grreat results. Millions have.

It takes WANTING it.

I was sick and tired of being a slug. Single.. I was NOT getting any dates.

These are the words that brought me to the X and fitness...

"If you want something you never had before...
    you must DO something you've never done before."

Fitness changed my life.. and it is now part of my lifestyle.

Deal is... you can SEE it in a person.

Bragging about working out? That means nothing.

The proof is in your health.... your appearance.. your fitness.

I can take one look at a person... and know if they work out or not.
    Last edited by PAINTERDAVE; 11-14-2011 at 02:45 AM.
    AFC WEST Champions
    Steelers HATE US.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived PAINTERDAVE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Chia Seeds are the BOMB!!! A hidden gem that not too many people know about. A SUPERFOOD that is loaded with anitoxidents, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
    Never heard of 'em.

I will check it out, thanks
    AFC WEST Champions
    Steelers HATE US.

18. The Following User High Fived PAINTERDAVE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
    Gospel.

Abs are made in the kitchen.

Only thing is.. try THIS perspective.

We Americans are focused on losing weight. It is an easy way to quantify progress. We all want to say.. " I lost XX lbs". When I had completed my first round of the P90X.. a friend was bragging me up to people.. telling them Dave "Lost like 30 lbs".

That was how he tried to quantify the change he could see in me.
    I only lost 8 lbs, though. lol The added muslce has weight.

Instead of thinking a bout "losing wieght".. I focus on gaining muscle and cutting fat. Add dense, compact muscle.. loose bulky, fluffy fat.... however you may not lose much weight in doing so... But your clothes fit better... you need smaller sizes.... and you are in better shape. I have not weighed myself in many months. My scale is dusty.

When the focus is "losing wieght" .. often people starve themselves and lose muscle, while they only shrink their fat cells. Then the metabolsim is out of whack.. and when they resume their old eating habits... the fat cellls balloon and they have less muscle than before.. and they are worse off.

Muscle burns fat in and of itself.

Adding muscle... burning fat... and eating right ( small, "clean" portions often)
    ramps up the metabolism. It really does not take a long time to see great results.

It does not take long to get in.. or OUT.. of shape.

Nutrion combined with varying exercise ( Muscle Confusion) is the best way to get in better shape.

__________________________________________________ _______

About the X.. if you want to do it... at home.. no gym...
    YOU CAN achieve grreat results. Millions have.

It takes WANTING it.

I was sick and tired of being a slug. Single.. I was NOT getting any dates.

These are the words that brought me to the X and fitness...

"If you want something you never had before...
    you must DO something you've never done before."

Fitness changed my life.. and it is now part of my lifestyle.

Deal is... you can SEE it in a person.

Bragging about working out? That means nothing.

The proof is in your health.... your appearance.. your fitness.

I can take one look at a person... and know if they work out or not.
    This is spot on Dave.

The word "Diet" is a 4 letter word that has been used and abused in the American culture. So many people think that starving themselves or eating 1-3 very small meals a day is going to help them lose weight.

I am glad you mentioned the eating frequent small meals throughout the day thing. Gone are the days of "3 square meals a day" philosophy when it comes to health and nutrition.

Cutting calories too much not only will completely shut down your metabolism, but the muscle the body loses is detrimental to fighting fat. Muscle burns fat just as much as cardio burns fat. Having a great intense weight training session can actually burn more fat throughout the day than a cardio session. But even more importantly than that is a eating clean throughout the day.

Mike said it best and I always liked the saying that 6 packs are made in the kitchen. You can bust your balls all day long in the gym, but if your nutrition isn't spot on its all for not.

80% of health and weight lose or body transformation comes from what you put into your body and 20% is what you do to your body (exercise)

20. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Really??? Not busting your balls or anything, but this is one of the biggest MYTHS ever when it comes to eggs. The WHOLE egg gets such a bad rap its not even funny. The American public is so mis-informed when it comes to diet and nutrition it is no wonder that the obesity rate has skyrocketed in the past 20 years.

Just in case anyone wants to know the facts about the EGG as a whole, let me post some. And in the future, I recommend people do their own research whenever they "hear" something from the media, friends, co-workers, etc. I have always found it best to do my own research then rely on what someone else I know says..unless they are a registered dietician

Eggs:

The yolks contain so many B-vitamins, trace minerals, vitamin A, folate, choline, lutein, and other powerful nutrients... it's not even worth trying to list them all. If you want to know what those nutrients are...go research them and the benefits of them.

In fact, the egg whites have minimal nutrients compared to the yolks.

Even the protein in egg whites isn't as powerful without the yolks to balance out the amino acid profile and make the protein more bio-available.

Yolks contain more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, and B12, and panthothenic acid of the egg. Yolks contain ALL of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K in the egg, as well as ALL of the essential fatty acids (EFAs).

"Egg whites are good but the yolks contain all of the cholesterol and saturated fats"

No, this is FALSE!

First of all, when you eat a food that contains a high amount of dietary cholesterol such as eggs, your body down-regulates it's internal production of cholesterol to balance things out.

Buttttt, if you don't eat enough cholesterol, your body simply produces more since cholesterol has dozens of important vital functions in the body.

There have been plenty of studies lately that indicate that eating whole eggs actually raises your good HDL cholesterol to a higher degree than LDL cholesterol, thereby improving your overall cholesterol ratio and blood chemistry.

Another misconception about cholesterol....

high cholesterol is NOT a disease! Heart disease is a disease...but high cholesterol is NOT. Cholesterol is actually a VERY important substance in your body and has vitally important functions...

t

Lastly, the yolks contain the antioxidant lutein as well as other antioxidants which can help protect you from inflammation within your body (the REAL culprit in heart disease, not dietary cholesterol!), giving yet another reason why the yolks are actually GOOD for you, and not detrimental.
    That is absolutely correct, of course. I switched from eggs to egg whites on a temporary basis ...... for one reason : I went overkill on eggs. Too much of any one thing in food intake isn't good for you. I'm far enough removed from the overkill stage that I can alternate from eggs to egg whites.

Speaking of : I recently overdid it on salads. Guess who won't even be able to look at a salad for at least the next couple weeks.

Back to where I should be : eating whatever I want as long as it is healthy. I've been zeroed in on calories, protein and fiber for a while now. Time to fine tune my intake making sure I get enough carbs and fat.

I'm going to stay away from Creatine. I wanted to be talked into it, but I can't dodge one thing :

The UMMC states that few if any side effects are associated with creatine supplementation when taken for no more than six months at a time. However, people with any sort of kidney disorder should avoid creatine supplements. One of the side effects of creatine supplementation is kidney damage, which is more likely in those with impaired kidney function.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/52...#ixzz1dgSgQrs9

Had some visits with a specialist a couple years back. I was told that the following things (there are more, of course, but these are the big 5) contribute to kidney stones :
    Poor Diet (fixed that one)
    Not enough water intake (fixed that one)
    Too much of things including dark colas (former RC cola junkie) and Calcium (not in food, but in supplements -- fixed that one)
    Family history of kidney stones (they run on both sides of my family)

The Clincher --
    Each kidney stone increases the risk of having the next.

I've had 8. My last one was in July. I'm thankful mine haven't been nearly as bad as many other people have (my dad had one years ago.... had to be surgically removed -- shudders).

Part of being human is being scared of certain things, whether we admit it or not. I'm terrified of having another kidney stone.

I know I have a good water intake and it would be no problem to increase it if I used creatine. I'd probably be OK.... just not willing to bet on "probably".

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Creatine is not for everybody and it can cause some side effects for some people. I took it for years and then stopped for about 3 years. I recently started taking it again and immediately felt the results in strength. I have been off of it for 2 weeks and the strength remains.

I know its not the end all be all supplement...and actually no supplement is the end all be all. I personally think 98% of them are marketing junk that is a billion dollar industry that nieve people fall for.

Good clean whole foods, a quality protein, and multi-vitamin is all anyone needs to be successful.

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Creatine is not for everybody and it can cause some side effects for some people. I took it for years and then stopped for about 3 years. I recently started taking it again and immediately felt the results in strength. I have been off of it for 2 weeks and the strength remains.

I know its not the end all be all supplement...and actually no supplement is the end all be all. I personally think 98% of them are marketing junk that is a billion dollar industry that nieve people fall for.

Good clean whole foods, a quality protein, and multi-vitamin is all anyone needs to be successful.
    Wish I could give 30 High 5's for that post.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information