Page 41 of 73 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies your looking forward to?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    The Gunslinger (the first Dark Tower book) is possibly King's best work.

I can't wait to see this. However, I fear I am just going to see how badly Hollywood can **** this one up.
    I bristle at the idea of anything being better than The Stand.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

2. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Somehow I never read that one

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    The Gunslinger (the first Dark Tower book) is possibly King's best work.

I can't wait to see this. However, I fear I am just going to see how badly Hollywood can **** this one up.
    That's one gigantic epic to try to slam into 2, 2 1/2 hours. The Gunslinger (also one of my King favorites) will last about 5 minutes.

For the record, I never got through The Drawing of the Three.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    That's one gigantic epic to try to slam into 2, 2 1/2 hours. The Gunslinger (also one of my King favorites) will last about 5 minutes.

Same here. I think. Was that the 3d or 4th book? That's where I exited.

I miss King. He's a helluva author when he's on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Yes, if I was forced to rank them, I think The Stand has to go at the top. And boy did the tv mini-series efforts at that one fail.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post

It appears that this adaptation might be kind of a sequel to the Dark Tower Series. In the series, when Roland finally makes it to the Dark Tower, he finds out that he's been there, and completed the quest many times before. A cycle seemingly without end. The film might actually be the next cycle. .. so while the story might be similar, it gives them the ability to adapt and change without worrying about staying true to the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Same here. I think. Was that the 3d or 4th book? That's where I exited.

I miss King. He's a helluva author when he's on.
    Drawing of the Three was the second.

After he got hit by that car his writing just didn't seem to be the same. Something changed. I think he started worrying about his own mortality, and rushed some things (such as finishing the Dark Tower series) that he wouldn't have otherwise. Of course, prior to that accident, around the time he wrote Wizard and Glass he mused that he might never finish Dark Tower. He knew the general arc he wanted to take, and based on the length of time he'd taken to that point, he'd still be writing at age 80-90 or longer. Then the accident happened, and when he got back to writing he churned them out within a few years. Maybe rushed them.
    Last edited by NightTrainLayne; 05-03-2017 at 10:23 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I've just been notified that my post above contains spoilers that have done irreparable damage to someone just beginning the series.

I do not apologize. There are few advantages to growing older, and one of those is reading and seeing things before young folks, and subsequently lording it over them.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I liked Drawing of the Three. I might not like it now, but I did as a teen.

But then, as a teen, I never finished Tolkien. But it down mid way through Two Towers. Heresy, I'm told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

The Dark Tower would have been a great Netflix series but I don't think even a series of movies could convey the ideas properly. It pretty much tied the whole Stephen King universe together. It was cool to see the nod to Pennywise in the Dark Tower Trailer though.

12. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    The Dark Tower would have been a great Netflix series but I don't think even a series of movies could convey the ideas properly. It pretty much tied the whole Stephen King universe together. It was cool to see the nod to Pennywise in the Dark Tower Trailer though.
    I never realized that it tied everything together and i didnt see the Pennywise nod so i will have to go back and watch it again. Gunslinger looks good as shit though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I never realized that it tied everything together and i didnt see the Pennywise nod so i will have to go back and watch it again. Gunslinger looks good as shit though.
    Yup, here are the references from the man himself (SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY) click the link at the bottom to see em all.

Below are King’s own thoughts on the unspoken ways The Dark Tower movie links to his other tales, ranked from “definite” to “ooookay, sure”:

1. The Shining and Doctor Sleep — Psychic powers in The Dark Tower film are referred to as “The Shine,” which means Jake Chambers, the boy at the center of the story, has the same abilities that Danny Torrance had in King’s classic 1977 novel (and the 2013 sequel Doctor Sleep). Is the Shine becoming his catch-all psychic ability? Does that mean the wallflower-turned-prom-queen in Carrie had a malevolent version of The Shine? “I don’t know, man,” King says with a laugh. “It’s like the guy says in House of Cards: ‘You might think so, but I couldn’t possibly comment.’”

2. The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon — Randall Flagg, the sharp-tongued, charismatic villain from King’s 1979 Americana apocalypse and his 1987 old-school fairy tale, is the same sinister presence Matthew McConaughey plays in The Dark Tower, only operating a different alias — Walter, The Man in Black. “At some point I realized that Randall Flagg and Walter were the same character and once you take this whole idea in mind that Mid-World is connected to our world you say, ‘Well okay, this guy shows up again and again,’” King says. Did he just like seeing this devil again? King shudders: “I never want to see that guy.”

3. Hearts in Atlantis — In the 1999 story collection, Ted Brautigan is a psychic who, like Jake in the movie, is being pursued as a “Breaker,” someone whose power can help collapse the Tower. The 2001 movie dropped the Tower references, and instead had the Anthony Hopkins character being pursued by government agents for clandestine Cold War research. “I wish they had gone more supernatural with that,” King says of the movie. “I thought there was a way to do that without feeding into the whole Dark Tower thing.”

In the film version of The Dark Tower, there’s an older Breaker who is somewhat inspired by Ted Brautigan, although it’s not the same character. Director and co-writer Nikolaj Arcel said he wanted someone who was older than Jake, someone who had been enslaved by the Man in Black for a long time. So there’ll be flashes back to this figure’s younger days — in the way-back era of the 1990s.

4. ‘Salem’s Lot — In this 1975 book, the fallen priest who loses his faith and drinks the blood of a vampire later becomes a key ally of Roland the Gunslinger in the latter Dark Tower books. If there are sequels to the movie, it’s possible he may turn up onscreen. “Father Callahan…” King says wistfully. “I’d love to see him in there. But we’ll have to see how the [first] film does.”
    https://ew.com/article/2016/07/15/th...g-connections/

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post

Yes. Generations from now, folks will marvel at King's literary universe and how everything ties together in his massive library of Fiction. It's impressive. The Dark Tower series is kind of the linch-pin bringing it all together.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Well since we're on King movies, I am scared to death of clowns and the fear came from the childhood encounter with the movie, It. I wasnt afraid of clowns before that movie and I am now completely fearful of clowns. Like stop me in my tracks, kill me now when I see them. But this new It...it misses the boat. The essence of what scared me so much is gone. The previous was so damn scary because the clown looked normal. The new clown looks scary. Name:  images.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  8.0 KB

It will probably still scare The living shit out of me.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Cant wait for "It" to get released. It is my favorite book from King and i felt the tv movie didnt do it any justice. Hopefully the new movie can capture the feeling of the book.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Well since we're on King movies, I am scared to death of clowns and the fear came from the childhood encounter with the movie, It. I wasnt afraid of clowns before that movie and I am now completely fearful of clowns. Like stop me in my tracks, kill me now when I see them. But this new It...it misses the boat. The essence of what scared me so much is gone. The previous was so damn scary because the clown looked normal. The new clown looks scary. Name:  images.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  8.0 KB

It will probably still scare The living shit out of me.
    This is something I don't like about the new IT so far. The original Pennywise is someone you might crawl into a sewer for if he offered you a balloon. That new clown makes me want to smash it on the head with a shovel before he even tried to speak.

I still think the scariest clown ever was that damn clown puppet in the original Poltergeist.

25. The Following 4 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information