Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broncos' Rice Moves Up To Starter On 'D' Line

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Broncos' Rice Moves Up To Starter On 'D' Line

By Arnie Stapleton, AP Sports Writer
    CBS4 Broncos Insiders
    Sept. 11, 2007

(AP) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Pass-rusher Simeon Rice showed enough in his 17 snaps to supplant Elvis Dumervil as the Broncos' starter at right defensive end.

Rice made two big plays in his Denver debut, batting down a pass and making a tackle for loss.

"I was happy with him," Shanahan said. "Tim Crowder couldn't play because of his (sprained) ankle. I asked Simeon to come in and play between 15 and 20 plays. He came in there and ... made a couple of big-time plays, that one on a reverse and I just got a good feel, so I think he'll really help us down the line."

Crowder, a rookie, has been dealing with a high ankle sprain for more than a month.

Shanahan also was pleased with his offensive line, where left tackle Matt Lepsis returned to the lineup after missing most of last season with a knee injury and Erik Pears made his first start at right tackle. Both of the guards -- Chris Myers on the left and Montrae Holland on the right -- made their Broncos debut.

"I thought they did great," Shanahan said. "I was pretty pleased with how they handled themselves."

The loss of Lepsis last year had a domino effect that stalled the offense.

"It was good to get Matt back. He's got a lot of confidence in that knee," Shanahan said.

EXTRA POINTS: CB Domonique Foxworth is nursing a sprained ankle and LB Louis Green is recovering from a blow to the head. ... K Jason Elam missed just twice last year when Jake Plummer was his holder. With Todd Sauerbrun holding, he missed twice on Sunday. "I think there's always an adjustment," Shanahan said. "But Jason would be the first person not to blame it on the holder, that's for sure." ... New MLB D.J. Williams led the Broncos with nine tackles. "It's going to be a growing experience, he's going to get better each game," Shanahan said. "I thought for his first game he played well."

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local_...254070201.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Having him on the feild more should definitely give our pass rush a boost.

Even if it is at the expense of my Adoptee!

Quote Originally Posted by columbiaskinny View Post
    Having him on the feild more should definitely give our pass rush a boost.

Even if it is at the expense of my Adoptee!
    Your adpotee should be an orphan drop him and get someone usefull.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Rice really looked in good shape. I am glad we signed him..

Also, really loved the way DJ looked out there. He had some big plays. His speed is nice.
    Go Broncos!

whatever, elvis looked great on sunday, he was the only one giving his man any trouble (and he did it very consistently).
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Thanks for the info, Skinny. I'm excited about Rice. I think he can be a difference maker.

I still think there's plenty of playing time for Elvis too.

Adopted Bronco:
    #27 Steve Atwater

You had to figure this would happen. I wonder how this will affect Third Down. Whether Rice will stay in or will they replace him with Doom. Intresting stuff. i like Doom hes great but you cant go wrong with a guy like Rice. I wonder if hell stay around next year if he is effective.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Ugh! Looks like somebody got up on the wrong side of the rock!

S'all good JR!

Your still my buddy!

I love that Rice has been named starter but I am not keen on Elvis having to be the one to ride the pine.

Guess I am just more impressed with him then Engle.

Elvis will still come in on all passing downs though I would bet.

geeesh even on this new board, you still havent found a bronco player you like besides former ones living in the idaho mountains

I won't even get started with the absolutely ridiculous bashing of Elvis Dumervil.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I won't even get started with the absolutely ridiculous bashing of Elvis Dumervil.
    seriously, just ignore it, there's no point even addressing it. . . JR just plain doesn't like most of our players, and he's never going to-- we can't make him and there's no sense arguing about it. . .

it was only a matter of time before rice cracked the starting lineup, and i expected it would be sooner rather than later. . . we like to use a DL rotation, and rice isn't getting younger, so i'm sure dumervil and probably moss as well will still get plenty of chances. . . i can't say how much i love the idea of having a fresh wave of pass rushers for 3rd downs. . . last year elvis was the only consistent pass rusher on the team-- this year we should have two for sure, assuming rice still has it, and maybe even three. . . "too many" pass rushers is never a bad problem to have!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    no please do...because who in their right mind would bash a rookie that notch 8 1/2 sacks for a below average dline last year. jrwiz, i dont get why you would say that, i hope you were being sarcastic because outside of rice we really have no proven pass rusher on the team.

when elvis starts putting up 2 or 3 sacks per game im pretty sure they will try and move him opposite of rice.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

^ no sarcasm. jr has been a dumervil bash factory for a while now. 'cause he's undersized'

... but go ahead and ask him about quentin griffin and all of his 67 inches...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    ^ no sarcasm. jr has been a dumervil bash factory for a while now. 'cause he's undersized'

... but go ahead and ask him about quentin griffin and all of his 67 inches...

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information