Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hogan's fave albums (all genres) A-G

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    excellent call on meddle! i know some consider it sacrilege, but IMO that's their best album-- gimme meddle over the wall any day, or even dark side. . .

i'm a little surprised that the pixies' album doolittle didn't make your list, though. . .
    I'm much more fascinated with the Floyd output that hasn't been pounded into the ground than I am with the standbys (Wish You Were Here being the lone exception)....unbelievabily, one album I forgot to put on the list is my fave Pink Floyd album of them all, More. I'll get on that and correct it ASAP.

Doolittle is okay, I just like and perfer the two Pixies albums I listed over the rest of their catalog. It probably should be noted that while I included Surfa Rosa, I actually mean the version that includes the Come On Pilgrim EP.
    Last edited by Hogan11; 05-17-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
    Remember Harold that these are just my faves, they don't even make up 1/3 of my total collection nor do they represent some sorta best of list.

That said, I was never much of a Sonic Youth or Einsturzende Neubauten fan. Nursery Crime is okay, just not one of my faves.
    I know. goes to show how different and at the same alike our taste of music is.
    Sonic Youth is my favorite band and Tabula Rasa and Ende Neu by neubauten are two of my favorite records ever.

3. The Following User High Fived haroldthebarrel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Really interesting list. I have a lot of respect (and patronage) for the overwhelming majority of the stuff on your list. Good stuff.
    Routine questions:
    -No Chili Peppers? They seem right in that list...
    -Why Nirvana's In Utero over its higher selling Nevermind, or was Nvm too commercial/poppy for standard Nirvana?
    -You mentioned that Rage isn't on your list. Was it just their style? I have a similar thing with Alice in Chains, so it's easy to see where you're coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

5. The Following User High Fived Broncospsycho77 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncospsycho77 View Post
    Really interesting list. I have a lot of respect (and patronage) for the overwhelming majority of the stuff on your list. Good stuff.
    Routine questions:
    -No Chili Peppers? They seem right in that list...
    -Why Nirvana's In Utero over its higher selling Nevermind, or was Nvm too commercial/poppy for standard Nirvana?
    -You mentioned that Rage isn't on your list. Was it just their style? I have a similar thing with Alice in Chains, so it's easy to see where you're coming from.
    I'm okay with the Chili Peppers, own a couple of releases..none of them have been totally solid IMHO though...Blood Sugar Sex Majik came the closest, but it still had some filler on it, if they'd had trimmed some of the fat off from it, it'd really would've lived up to the reputation that it has.

Why In Utero? Thank Steve Albini. Really, I love the sound of that album, from the opening thud to the last chorus of All Apologies, it's a really ugly release. I like the songs better than what was on NVM as well. I know most people won't agree with me when I say it was the band's artistic highpoint, but that's okay. NVM was a bit too glossy for my liking, but I still like it, just don't listen to it much anymore because it had been pounded into the ground for so many years......Both Utero & Incesticide get more plays at my house.

Rage? Yeah, never cared for them..didn't mind the politics, just didn't like their sound as I've never been one for rap/metal/thrash acts that they seemed to have pioneered.

7. The Following User High Fived Hogan11 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    i hate AC/DC
    I don't really HATE them, but they are EXTREMELY overrated. They're one of those bands that get way too many t-shirts made of them and you see them all over being worn by people who don't even know any songs of theirs (KISS, Pink Floyd [sadly], Rolling Stones).

But they are really repetitive. Solid songs, but they all sound the same...can't tell the difference between alot of them until the chorus comes in.

But Kiss sucks.

9. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I'm okay with the Chili Peppers, own a couple of releases..none of them have been totally solid IMHO though...Blood Sugar Sex Majik came the closest,
    Definitely.

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I don't really HATE them, but they are EXTREMELY overrated. They're one of those bands that get way too many t-shirts made of them and you see them all over being worn by people who don't even know any songs of theirs (KISS, Pink Floyd [sadly], Rolling Stones).

But they are really repetitive. Solid songs, but they all sound the same...can't tell the difference between alot of them until the chorus comes in.

But Kiss sucks.
    The thing I always liked about AC/DC, especially early AC/DC, was it's simplicity and directness. The songs were mostly three chords, they avoided fantasy lyrics (which is a HUGE knock on hard rock/heavy metal acts for me) and tried to be as offensive as possible....all of which brings them a bit closer to a 1977 punk act than a hard rock one that was typical of that time. The overall attitude changed and the material dropped off after Scott died IMHO.
    It was probably for those very reasons it took the band so long to catch on in the USA...I do remember from my junior high school days that pre Back In Black AC/DC was not held in as high esteem as Led Zep, Bad Company, Black Sabbath, BOC et. al. were....a little too simple, a little too fast in tempo for the pre-thrash metal crowd.....eh, that's just my theory on it anyways.

All that makes the success of Kiss that much harder to explain musically, then again Kiss was all about the show....Glam's longest lasting and biggest hurrah. Ask people how a Kiss show was and the first thing they'll tell you about 99% of the time is about the lights, stage props, etc. The music itself was always a bit of a second fiddle to the big stage production and the overall marketing strategy....the effect of which scored very big till it was finally all worn down by the effects of disco & new wave on the casual listening populace and just by plain old obsolescence on everyone else by 1983.

What continues to amaze me about Kiss is how they continue to be snubbed by "classic rock" radio stations. Anyone who lived through the 1970's can tell you that Kiss was beyond huge....and yet, now that the same crowd depicted in films like Detroit Rock City has entered middle age, they seem to refuse to celebrate the music of their youth (when it comes to Kiss anyways). Ignoring it almost admits to being embarrassed by it, don't you think? Hmmmm.

13. The Following User High Fived Hogan11 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

I actually really like AC/DC. Their songs were simple, brash, and adrenaline-fused;they took rock to its most basic state, and thrived on it.

Now, there are definitely a lot of similarities within their songs (for example, I can never tell when the song "Heatseeker" is on until the refrain), but what really won me over were the solos of Angus Young. He really brought them home... every song had its own little spot which became huge, for example the rising solo in "TNT" and the instrumental feature near the end of "Shoot to Thrill", etc. etc... actually, my favorite song from them is "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" because it was simple, powerful, and had a kick-ass solo...

There was definitely a drop in popularity after Scott's death and Back in Black, but Johnson's vocals added to the hard rock-esque nature of their songs, as his vocals were all but larnyx-tearing. When you just want to listen to music for the sake of listening to music, AC/DC is where it's at.
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

15. The Following User High Fived Broncospsycho77 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncospsycho77 View Post
    There was definitely a drop in popularity after Scott's death and Back in Black, but Johnson's vocals added to the hard rock-esque nature of their songs, as his vocals were all but larnyx-tearing. When you just want to listen to music for the sake of listening to music, AC/DC is where it's at.
    Gotta disagree with this. While Highway To Hell made some inroads, the gains made when Back In Black broke the band in the USA overshadowed it (and the entire Scott era catalog) by far.

Hogan, how do you feel about Mudhoney? That's just a band I really, really enjoy for a lot of reasons and would love to hear what you think about them.

18. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The thing I always liked about AC/DC, especially early AC/DC, was it's simplicity and directness. The songs were mostly three chords, they avoided fantasy lyrics (which is a HUGE knock on hard rock/heavy metal acts for me) and tried to be as offensive as possible....all of which brings them a bit closer to a 1977 punk act than a hard rock one that was typical of that time. The overall attitude changed and the material dropped off after Scott died IMHO.
    It was probably for those very reasons it took the band so long to catch on in the USA...I do remember from my junior high school days that pre Back In Black AC/DC was not held in as high esteem as Led Zep, Bad Company, Black Sabbath, BOC et. al. were....a little too simple, a little too fast in tempo for the pre-thrash metal crowd.....eh, that's just my theory on it anyways.
    I think we're talking about a situation like, say, a Van Gogh, who didn't sell a painting at all (or was it one) during his lifetime, yet he is remembered as one of the great painters in all of the history.

As far as rock music goes, I think AC/DC may have that type of effect. I think, to an extent, the Beatles later music has had that same effect. Many people going back to it...without the context of the times...and listening to the music, saying, "you know what...that was some good shit..."

I think the retro fad that we've seen in the last 5-10 years with bands like The White Stripes, The Hives, The Killers, Jet (Especially Jet, since they are Australian)...show us that people are looking at that raw, garage-band style of a music and the bravado that the band delivers its music and saying, "hey, that was good shit...let's play some of it."

I think that early AC/DC has influenced a lot of the music I just referenced, with its rawness. Likewise, AC/DC was just taking the rawness of bands like the Rolling Stones and other early rock musicians, imitating it to a certain degree, turning the volume to 12 and letting loose with the lyrics...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

5 of my all time favorites

Rush -2112
    Def Leppard - High and Dry
    Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    Queen - Day at the races
    Queensryche - All of them!!
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Just listening to a little Jet this evening, and I think a technical analysis is also valid to that same argument of AC/DC.

It was typical for bands to record vocals and the guitar on the right track, and the rhythm and bass tracks on the left track, likewise, I've noticed that practice with Jet, as we did with many of the early bands. They've seemed to take the old approach to creating music as the idea of their music as well. During the digital era, bands are recording everything on the same track and feeding it through both speakers. Just an observation I had listening to Jet on my computer with the two speakers.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    5 of my all time favorites

Queensryche - All of them!!

They pretty much lost their iconic sound after Promised land in my opinion. Not too mention Degarmo's departure really left a major hole in their song writing. But everything up to PL was pretty damn good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'm a huge 80's rock person. I Went to Rocklahoma last year and saw 32 bands in 4 days. It was A huge success and just shows that 80's glam, rock, etc., is still very popular and people like me hang on to it and will forever. It was an awesome time to grow up in.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

26. The Following User High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information