Poll: Which Quarterback will start for Denver week 1?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which QB will be the Broncos' week one starter?

Default Poll: Which QB will be the Broncos' week one starter?

Ok, there has been a lot of talk about whether or not Orton will be traded. In order to think he should be traded, that indicates that people are either ready to give up on the 2010 season, or believe that one or more of the other QB's are capable of starting and winning this year.

So, regardless of whether it is through a trade or simply winning the QB competition in training camp/pre-season, which QB do you think will start week 1 and why?

I'll start with the who and why.

I 'think' Orton will start week 1, so I voted for him. I think he is the stable solution.

However, I 'hope' that Quinn or Tebow wins the competition and wins the starting job. Fair or not, Orton has the 'game manager' title hanging around his neck, because he hasn't shown to be a very dynamic QB. He tends to focus on only half of the field. He never stretches the field (yea, I know, there were those three throws against Washington). He hurts the running and passing game with the constant 3-6 yard passes, as the defense can compress up against the LOS.

Quinn, while inconsistent, is a more dynamic QB that could help open the offense up a bit. So, if he can win the job, he has more upside than Orton. Will he make more mistakes? Most likely, but you can't QB a team to victory if your first priority is avoiding mistakes.

However, while a longshot, I would love to see Tebow impress to the point where he wins the starting job. Would it result in a rocky season? Most likely, but if he outplays Orton and Quinn in TC, then I would love to see them hand him the ball and see if that dynamic college play can work in the NFL.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

I'm thinking Orton will start.

Giving the fact that he has had a year under his belt in the offense and the fact that he doesn't "lose" the games per se.

I would love it if Tebow were such an astonishing QB he could unseat Orton and outshine him during TCs and Preseason that it would be a no brainer to start him, but I just don't think that will happen.

As far as Quinn is concerned, after a lot of thought, I think that McD wanted a quality backup for Orton going into the 2010 season. He thought he could get that with Simms but we all know how that ended. Quinn is a backup for now unless he shows a lot more than Orton does which I am thinking he will not, just because Orton knows the system better.
    Thanks Shake!

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dirk For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

I say Quinn will be the starter.

It's clearly evident that they don't see Orton as the long term solution at the QB spot. They would have already given him an extension if they believed he was the QB that gives us the best chance to win.

McDaniels showed early last year by naming Orton the starter before training camp that he'll insert the best available player at a position if he believes he can best execute what he wants done.

Now that we have three capable QB's- then Tebow-why waste another year with a game manager?

As Tned stated earlier, Orton has reached his plateau. There is comfort in knowing that Orton is familiar with the system and should get better. But, JMcD is building this team to win over the long term, not to win now IMO.

Quinn, while still unknown, brings traits as a QB that will at least open up the field more and keep plays alive. Something that limits Orton.

7. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I said Orton because that's what McDaniels has said, so I take him at his word I'm ok with that. However, should Tebow win the job by outplaying Orton and Quinn for that matter then I trust that McDaniels feels he gives them best chance to win.

Honestly I wouldn't doubt if McDaniels in the back of his mind would like to Tebow win the job outright.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-11-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I'm thinking Orton will start.

Giving the fact that he has had a year under his belt in the offense and the fact that he doesn't "lose" the games per se.

I would love it if Tebow were such an astonishing QB he could unseat Orton and outshine him during TCs and Preseason that it would be a no brainer to start him, but I just don't think that will happen.

As far as Quinn is concerned, after a lot of thought, I think that McD wanted a quality backup for Orton going into the 2010 season. He thought he could get that with Simms but we all know how that ended. Quinn is a backup for now unless he shows a lot more than Orton does which I am thinking he will not, just because Orton knows the system better.
    I don't think it's far fetched for Tebow to have a good preseason because he'll be facing vanilla defensive schemes. If Tim can as you said outshine Orton in training camp and play well in the preseason I think McDaniels will give serious consideration to Tim starting on opening day.

Adopted Bronco:
    John Albert Elway: Champion Forever!

Unless T2 is playing like Marino did as a rookie I'd rather work him in slowly with special packages, Wild Horses, etc. for at least his first season. Meanwhile, I am hoping for Quinn to be able to apply his knowledge of the offense he learned under Weiss to effectively compress the standard learning curve and demonstrate sufficient proficiency to be named the starter. I favor Brady over Kyle because of the overwhelming difference in athletic ability that would hopefully lead to more dynamic play than we've witnessed from Mr. Orton.

I see Brandy on the PS and #8 gone next year with Tebow pushing to start by then and let the chips fall. Whoever loses out would figure to be an above average backup.
    That's right b!+ches, the Denver BRONCOS are Back!!!

11. The Following User High Fived xzn For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Orton will start week one. But McD will be itching to replace his mediocre QB with a bonafied starter. When Ortons ankles burst into flames in Week 8, McD will have his chance..

Mark it on the calendar.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

13. The Following 5 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    John Albert Elway: Champion Forever!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Orton will start week one. But McD will be itching to replace his mediocre QB with a bonafied starter. When Ortons ankles burst into flames in Week 8, McD will have his chance..

Mark it on the calendar.
    Can I get the lotto numbers for that day from you as well Nostradamus?
    That's right b!+ches, the Denver BRONCOS are Back!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by xzn View Post
    Unless T2 is playing like Marino did as a rookie I'd rather work him in slowly with special packages, Wild Horses, etc. for at least his first season. Meanwhile, I am hoping for Quinn to be able to apply his knowledge of the offense he learned under Weiss to effectively compress the standard learning curve and demonstrate sufficient proficiency to be named the starter. I favor Brady over Kyle because of the overwhelming difference in athletic ability that would hopefully lead to more dynamic play than we've witnessed from Mr. Orton.

I see Brandy on the PS and #8 gone next year with Tebow pushing to start by then and let the chips fall. Whoever loses out would figure to be an above average backup.
    We carried three quarterbacks on the active roster last season, so I expect that we will again this season as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Orton.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by xzn View Post
    Can I get the lotto numbers for that day from you as well Nostradamus?
    18-26-46-12-47-32 I cant tell you which day though.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

18. The Following 4 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

orton....now if you said who would i preferr to start...quinn

orton if still here knows the offense, but its not as simple as that, because he doesnt know thomas or decker just as quinn doesnt , but he does know stokley, grahm and may have occassionaly met royal in the locker room, so i would preferr to go with the knowledge and expirience of orton over the more talented quinn, at least for the first few weeks

now if we suck ...then i say throw the rookie in and be done with it

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived arapaho2 For This Post:

Mark it on the calendar.
    I think your dead on with this one Clay. Orton will start, probably play decently and be hurt by mid season. If the Broncos had a backup worth a crap last year Orton probably would have missed 4 or 5 games. His ankle is a liability and I don't think he makes it through the whole season. In my mind the question is whether McD puts in Quinn or Tebow once Orton's ankle explodes and what the teams record is at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

22. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Mark it on the calendar.
    How can you people not know this? Guess what!?!?! I do. I know that one day Tim Tebow and Brady Qwinn are gonna get married on top of a mountain, and there's going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And they will dance till the sun rises. And then their children will form a family band. And they will tour the countryside and you all won't be invited.

Obviously this all happens after Tebow starts week 1.
    And i guess i might be able to get a couple invites if anyones interested...

24. The Following User High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information