Thread: Vista-User Accounts

Default Vista-User Accounts

I have to say I am not very familar with Vista, I have been avoiding it for awhile but decided it was time to port it to my machines and just get use to it.

I have done a great deal of research on the UAC and am comfortable enough with the reasonings behind it to leave it to do it's thing and appreciate that it is doing it.

What I don't see the point of though, atleast from a single users perspective, is why they recomend the standard account?

If there is only one user and in the admin you just press a button to allow and in standard you can do all the same things as admin just have to put a password then what is the reason for standard? Just stay as admin and press the button.

Am I just not seeing an added security feature that you get by being in standard all the time? Just seems as a single user they do exactly the same thing, one with button the other with type.

Now if multiple user, yes I see it, but single I just don't see the point of a standard account.

I go with an admin level account. I leave UAC on, but wouldn't mess with a non-admin account. I can't think of any valid reason in a single user environment.

Adopted Bronco:
    Hogan11 (my future hubby!)

Anyone had problems with vista? I've had it on my pc since June...(on my pc when I bought it) and haven't had much problems...the only thing that is touchy is that I have a wireless connection and have to have it go through a router and sometimes I have to unplug the modem and router and reconnect to get an internet connection. But, it doesn't take much to get it working again.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have to say I am not very familar with Vista, I have been avoiding it for awhile but decided it was time to port it to my machines and just get use to it.

I have done a great deal of research on the UAC and am comfortable enough with the reasonings behind it to leave it to do it's thing and appreciate that it is doing it.

What I don't see the point of though, atleast from a single users perspective, is why they recomend the standard account?

If there is only one user and in the admin you just press a button to allow and in standard you can do all the same things as admin just have to put a password then what is the reason for standard? Just stay as admin and press the button.

Am I just not seeing an added security feature that you get by being in standard all the time? Just seems as a single user they do exactly the same thing, one with button the other with type.

Now if multiple user, yes I see it, but single I just don't see the point of a standard account.
    I think I see what you are getting at. And its the same philosophy in Linux. Your standard account does not have root(admin) privileges. The theory behind it is that you are doing risky things like connecting your computer to the internet while using the standard user. So, if someone gets your standard user password, they can't root the box (take over complete control). I don't really buy into this philosophy. Thus the reason why I turned off UAC on my laptop. The only people that ever use it, I trust, and I don't keep anything that would cause my identity to be stolen. On top of that, I use a really long user password that I don't remember because I have a biometric fingerprint reader. So if someone gets physical access to my laptop, they would have to use a boot cd or boot usb key to try to hack it (bios passwords and disabling these features prohibit that), and I don't have my cd rom drive in my laptop at any time.

Anyway, I love Vista, but I think UAC is really annoying.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

5. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information