Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN May Power Rankings

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Default ESPN May Power Rankings

I know it's only May and I don't really know what to expect from the Broncos this year. But I don't think they're that bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...on=2008&week=0

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Flatinum For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

I don't know if I would place the Broncos too much higher than this myself, however the commentary really shows how little they know about the Broncos' off-season moves. We really don't have that many holes right now. We've got some questions but few holes. It's such a generic line that it makes me wonder if they actually bothered to look at the Broncos offseason moves at all.

4. The Following User High Fived Fan in Exile For This Post:

Easily a top ten team.

If I want to toss the homer hat on, it's top 5.

Realistically, it's easily a top 10 team.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived TheReverend For This Post:

these polls mean nothing in May.

until we see how healthy we are, then we can be better
    but for anyone to think we are elite is absurd

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    these polls mean nothing in May.

until we see how healthy we are, then we can be better
    but for anyone to think we are elite is absurd
    I just think they're in the top 2/3 of the league, not the the bottom 1/3.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

I often wonder what the criteria is for people who ESPN search for to be their analysts and journalists.

Not much it seems.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Seems a little low to me...

But our OL and DL are still massive unknown quanties. If they work out, we're gonna be good. If they're as porous as last year we're probably gonna be a bottom-third team. I don't have a problem with the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay early ranking.

I think we're all really interested to see if Clady and Harris/Pears/Kuper can keep Jay from getting killed off the ends, and if our interior OL can move the pile when it counts.

And how well Marshall can catch a ball with one arm.

And whether it was our DL talent or our DL scheme that was totally incompetent.

And if we can keep a RB healthy enough to tote the rock.

It's gonna be a much more exciting camp and pre-season time than we're used to around here, when we mostly just run through the motions and get ready for our fast start and mediocre finish for the season.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Flatinum View Post
    I just think they're in the top 2/3 of the league, not the the bottom 1/3.
    I think maybe 12-16 range at best.

like G said our lines are major unknowns and I am still not sure
    we fixed our pathetic run defense from a year ago?

I hope we did but until we see it we wont know.

so these polls are needed to be taken with a grain of salt.

(not saying anyone is overreacting just my humble opinion)

14. The Following User High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    I often wonder what the criteria is for people who ESPN search for to be their analysts and journalists.

Not much it seems.
    The first requirement is that theyre from the new england area. Seriously, a large portion of their staff really is from that area and its been observed by on-air "talent" as well as Hank Steinbrenner. The national media is concentrated in the east. And in more recent years, the media has started playing more towards larger cities. This has resulted in an alarming decline in due diligence on their part.

So its a combination of things. 1) where the national media is concentrated; 2) that region also has a high concentration of schools many consider to be reputable...you could have two schools that are the same but if its east its more likely to be recognizable; 3) local media in places like Denver are often overcome with hacks who play to the national media...they have their own aspirations. So the net effect is the local guys tell the national guys what they want to hear. It happens here in Chicago all the time. Case in point, very few Cubs fans I know actually believe in curses...thats more interesting to guys in placed like Bristol CT and so if you want to get on E!SPN and youre a local guy, you start saying things like the curse is valid.
    Last edited by lex; 05-12-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    The first requirement is that theyre from the new england area. Seriously, a large portion of their staff really is from that area and its been observed by on-air "talent" as well as Hank Steinbrenner. The national media is concentrated in the east. And in more recent years, the media has started playing more towards larger cities. This has resulted in an alarming decline in due diligence on their part.
    The majority of their reporters are from other areas. At least on-air NFL guys. Mortensen is from Arkansas, Rinaldi is from Dallas. Rachel Nichols from California. Sal is from Philadelphia, which is approaching the northeast, so I'm failing to see where their on-air NFL guys are just from the northeast.

They have a NFL columnist from Denver...(though I've found that on here, most people don't like him).
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

It's a fair ranking for a team that went 7-9 last season. Denver picked up a lot of players through the draft and free agency, but they have done nothing to PROVE that the team has improved yet.

I'm with GMoney on this one. Training camp should be one of the most interesting since Shanahan came to Denver. There is huge competition at almost every position. I can't wait TC and preseason to kick off.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    The majority of their reporters are from other areas. At least on-air NFL guys. Mortensen is from Arkansas, Rinaldi is from Dallas. Rachel Nichols from California. Sal is from Philadelphia, which is approaching the northeast, so I'm failing to see where their on-air NFL guys are just from the northeast.

They have a NFL columnist from Denver...(though I've found that on here, most people don't like him).
    See my further explanation.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's a fair ranking for a team that went 7-9 last season. Denver picked up a lot of players through the draft and free agency, but they have done nothing to PROVE that the team has improved yet.
    See this is one of those comments that drives me crazy. All of the people that we brought in have done a lot to prove themselves. It seems to me that when people say this they very often just aren't taking the time, or can't understand what the people have done.

Robertson has done a lot. Boss has done a lot. Even Niko has done a lot. That really helps us out where we were hurting last year on our run D.

It's also not just about the guys we've brought in but the guys who got a lot of experience last year. Thomas and Crowder got a lot better over the course of the season.

Even if you're talking about Clady he's done a lot to prove himself. I'm not saying he's a guaranteed star or that you can't find first round busts, but he's shown a lot on the field. People just have to know the right things to look for.

Don't give me that what they did in college doesn't mean anything in the NFL line either because that's pure garbage. College gets guys ready for the NFL, what they put on tape in College shows what they can do. No some people can't translate that into the NFL but it doesn't mean they haven't done anything.

I think it's a great sign that we're really only counting on one rookie to come in and help us.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    See my further explanation.
    The people who voted in this pool:
    • Mike Sando on the AFC East and NFC West - Pacific Northwest
    • James Walker on the AFC North and NFC North - Ohio
    • Pat Yasinskas on the AFC South and NFC South - Charlotte
    • Bill Williamson on the AFC West - Denver via the north (Minnesota, Wisconsin)
    • Matt Mosley on the NFC East - Dallas
    • John Clayton - Seattle
    • Jeremy Green - Ohio

Sorry, just failing to see the East Coast Bias.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

I love these power rankings. They are more hype than anything else.

Here is last year's preseason rankings:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...=0&season=2007

Every year the media puts their favorites at the top: New England, Indy, Dallas, Chargers.

The Saints get too much love. I love them too, but people need to be honest.

NFC East typically overvalued.

Every year everyone thinks Arizona is going to better than it is. (Seriously, they're always bad.) No doubt someone will come in and explain why this year will be different and that they're a "sleeper." They're a sleeper every year.

Yeah, this doesn't shock me.
    I am Khan

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived Kaylore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information