Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snus

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Snus

Cigarettes and I have a long, terrible relationship. Ive been smoking for almost 20 years. Even seeing pops in pain for years and then dead in my living room almost 20 years ago from his 2 packs of Pall Malls a day habit didnt stop me from quitting.

I tried Chantix on recommendation from Clay here. It gave me horrible side effects. I tried cold turkey, hypnosis, the patch and gum, smoking cessation groups... all they talked about was smoking and it made you wanna smoke. My addiction is so strong and the habit is so great, nothing seemed to work.

Now I tried Snus and I like it.

Snus, a type of smokeless tobacco that originates from Sweden, is now being manufactured by the makers of all the biggest brands of cigs, Marlboro, Camel, Newport, etc.

It isnt traditional smokeless like Skoal or Copenhagen. It's powdered tobacco in a little teabag that sits between your cheek and gum. It's spit-free unlike the regular stuff, and it lasts about 30 mins (it says that on the package, but Ive had the flavor last for over an hour). It's pasteurized and supposedly a bit safer than cigarette tobacco that is burned.

Ive been using the Snus for about 5-6 days now, and when Im using it, it feeds my addiction and Im not even thinking about a smoke most of the time. Ive cut down my 25-28 cigarettes per day nasty habit to about 10 a day, and just by doing that Im breathing so much better. Ive smoked less this past week than I have in years. It even inspired me to eat a little better and try to get healthier.

Traditional Swedish snus is even better than the US made stuff. Its manufactured with higher standards and regulated as a food product. Im not saying its a completely safe alternative, but it seems less lethal, at least the genuine snus.

It's also cheaper. I ordered a 10 can roll of General snus, the supposed 'king of snus' in Sweden made by Swedish Match for $26. There's a lot more in each can than the Marlboro brand of rich snus I use now which only contains 6 pieces, and it should last for months as General contains 24. I'll order more and stockpile it if I like it.

I am going to use this as a gateway for getting away from this poison shit completely. Once I can get away from the physical habit of smoking as I think the snus will help do, I can then focus on eliminating the nicotine addiction. I also believe it would make the patch and gum more effective, especially since the snus delivers in the same way as the nicotine gum does, only stronger.

Here is an old article-

A Smokeless Alternative To Quitting
    By Sally Satel, MD
    The New York Times
    April 6, 2004

For decades, public health advocates have championed harm reduction for people who cannot stop taking health risks - or do not want to. Needle exchange is a classic example. Intravenous drug users get clean needles because, the reasoning goes, contracting and spreading AIDS is worse than making heroin use a little easier.

But harm reduction for hard-core smokers is another matter. It is politically incorrect.

At issue is a form of smokeless tobacco, a popular Swedish product called snus (rhymes with loose) that satisfies smokers' nicotine addiction with negligible health risks of its own. But to many foes of smoking, it is not a lifesaver, but the devil's instrument.

Snus, moist oral tobacco, comes in a tiny tea bag. It sits discreetly between lip and gum, releasing nicotine. Because it does not stimulate saliva production, there is no spitting. Even better, there is no smoke.

"It is the tobacco smoke, with its thousands of toxic agents, that leads to cancer, heart disease and emphysema," says Dr. Brad Rodu, an oral pathologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Eliminate the smoke, and you significantly reduce the risk. Indeed, Dr. Rodu found that a 35-year-old snus user will live on average as long as a 35-year-old who quits nicotine altogether - eight years longer than a smoker. Snus, or snuff, is especially attractive to smokers - who crave nicotine - because it produces nicotine levels comparable to smoking. Other nicotine replacement products like gum and the patch administer too little nicotine to prevent reliably craving and withdrawal symptoms.

The health benefits are impressive. Forty percent of Swedish men use tobacco products, and that is also the rate for men in the other 14 countries in the European Union. Yet Sweden has the lowest rate of lung cancer by far. Why? Largely because of snus, which represents half of all the tobacco that Swedish men use. (The other half smoke.)

Snus has not caught on with female smokers, though, and they make a morbid comparison group, ranking fifth, behind Denmark, Norway, Britain and the Netherlands.

Smoking opponents, one could argue, should herald snus. But instead, the very notion of harm reduction seems to inflame them.

"It's like trying to play God trading oral cancer for lung cancer," said Dr. Gregory Connolly of the Massachusetts Tobacco Control Program.

More than 20 epidemiological studies show that smokeless tobacco is far safer than cigarettes for mouth cancer. Even traditional smokeless tobacco products bring one-third to one-half the risk as smoking.

Users of Swedish snus, which contains very low levels of tobacco-specific nitrosamines, the carcinogens that cause lung cancer, among other diseases, incur a risk of developing oral cancer that is no greater than nonsmokers'.

The five large studies that examine snus in relation to oral cancer "are consistent in finding no increased cancer risk," according to an article last year in the journal Tobacco Control.

What about gateway effects? Clearly, if using smokeless tobacco turns people on to nicotine and they "graduate" to smoking, it fails as a public health strategy.

This was not the case in Sweden, however.

If snus induced young people to smoke, then Sweden would be expected to have a poor record of smoking reduction. Instead it has the best record in Europe.

Moreover, the proportion of current smokers who are former snus users is far less than the proportion of snus users who were once smokers.

In short, snus has largely been a pathway away from smoking, not vice versa. In the United States, Dr. Lynn T. Kozlowski of the biobehavioral health department at Penn State, found that more than three-fourths of men from 18 to 34 who used smokeless tobacco never went beyond it to cigarettes or had used cigarettes before using smokeless products.

Swedish snus and other brands of smokeless tobacco like Ariva, Exalt and Revel are available in this country but are hard to find. Most smokers have never heard of them, and many doctors are unfamiliar with the products.

The government, rather than clearing the air, is muddying it. Last year, the surgeon general, Vice Adm. Richard H. Carmona of the Navy, told Congress, "There is no significant scientific evidence that suggests smokeless tobacco is a safer alternative to cigarettes."

This is quite simply wrong in the case of smokeless tobacco in general, and snus in particular.

A set of "Tips for Teens" from the Department of Health and Human Services answers the question, "Isn't smokeless tobacco safer to use than cigarettes?" with an emphatic - and erroneous - "no."

"I suppose you could argue that shooting yourself in the leg poses less of a health risk than shooting yourself in the head," a former president of the American Dental Association, Dr. D. Gregory Chadwick, said. "But do we really need to have that discussion?"

Yes, we do. Public health experts have for years endorsed harm reduction as a pragmatic last resort for hard-core users of heroin, cocaine and alcohol, because the experts are convinced of the relative safety that accrues to the user and society.

No one disputes that quitting is optimal. But in the real world, that is not practical in every case. Snus in particular, and smokeless tobacco in general, provide clear, lifesaving advantages over smoking that antitobacco activists refuse to acknowledge.
    http://www.sallysatelmd.com/html/a-nytimes9UA.html
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

buy swedish, don't even mess with anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

It's in the mail.

Do you have any exp with it.

i tried the marb and camel versions when we got them at the gas station where i work... wasn't impressed.

then a friend of mine offered me some swedish stuff, not sure of the brand, and it was way better. i don't smoke, or use any tobacco products, other than occasionally snagging a snus from this guy... i like the stuff, but i'm not going to buy any cause i don't want to form any habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

6. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

dude, beat that habit into submission like it was a jobless commie liberal. . . channel the waterboy. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

8. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Eff that crap. I tried it once and it did nothing for me. Back to Grizzly Economy Blend (wintergreen)

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Sucks that Chantix had side effects for you. It was like taking a placibo pill for me. I couldnt tell I was on it other than taking the pill. But it affects people ifferent. My freinds best freind killed herself and another driver in a weird suicide driving thing when she was on chantix.

Its hit and miss. No pun intended.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

11. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Eff that crap. I tried it once and it did nothing for me. Back to Grizzly Economy Blend (wintergreen).
    That's likely because traiditonal smokeless is much stronger than snuns or even cigarettes, so it's understandable.

Sucks that Chantix had side effects for you. It was like taking a placibo pill for me. I couldnt tell I was on it other than taking the pill. But it affects people ifferent. My freinds best freind killed herself and another driver in a weird suicide driving thing when she was on chantix.

Its hit and miss. No pun intended.
    That sucks and Im sorry to hear that.

The chantix unfortunately didnt work for me and its not for everyone. Thanks though Clay.

I have a snus right now and it makes you not even want to smoke, if you do, it's because youre conciously thinking about it.

Im waiting for the Swedish Match in the mail, I'll post what I think of it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

Shaz, I bought some Camel snus when I didn't feel like smoking for a week, it worked wonders. It doesn't put a bunch of nasty shit in your mouth like chew does, you don't even really notice it there or taste it other than a slight tingle, it gives you your nic buzz very well and you won't even think about cigarettes.

14. The Following User High Fived KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Shaz, I bought some Camel snus when I didn't feel like smoking for a week, it worked wonders. It doesn't put a bunch of nasty shit in your mouth like chew does, you don't even really notice it there or taste it other than a slight tingle, it gives you your nic buzz very well and you won't even think about cigarettes.
    Ill tell ya, I didnt like the Camel mellow one too much, it was much weaker than the Marlboro rich flavor Ive been using. I know they have a full flavor one but I havent been able to find it.

Thats why I started, to stop me from smoking. It does that effectively.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Ill tell ya, I didnt like the Camel mellow one too much, it was much weaker than the Marlboro rich flavor Ive been using. I know they have a full flavor one but I havent been able to find it.

Thats why I started, to stop me from smoking. It does that effectively.
    Yeah I just checked my little tin thing and it is the mellow one. I didn't even mean to buy these things or know what they were, I was trying to get a pack of camels and the foreign guy didn't know what I was talking about lol, so I just had to take what I could get and get to work that day.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

I quit in August using Chantix and I had a great side effect, it cured a long standing issue I had with my stomach. I have a friend who works with health promotions for the military and she told me the side effects from Chantix can be intense. Some people have excellent experience and some it can be horrible. There is one case of suicide I know of for sure.
    But for me it was awesome and I recommend any smoker give it s try. I smoked for 15 years and had no issues quitting.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

19. The Following User High Fived MileHighCrew For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    I quit in August using Chantix and I had a great side effect, it cured a long standing issue I had with my stomach. I have a friend who works with health promotions for the military and she told me the side effects from Chantix can be intense. Some people have excellent experience and some it can be horrible. There is one case of suicide I know of for sure.
    But for me it was awesome and I recommend any smoker give it s try. I smoked for 15 years and had no issues quitting.
    I am struggling to quit smoking also.
    I have smoked for 20 years.....I bought Chantix and I actually quit for about 5 weeks while taking the first 30 day pack.....I had never gone a day without a smoke for the past 20 years.
    I got in an arguement with my wife and ran right back to the smokes....
    Still have the next 30 day pills but have not taken them.....I need to get back on track.

Other than nightmares while taking Chantix....it worked great for me......I am just an idiot for running back to them....and not handling stress better/ without the nicotine.

Good luck to others trying to quit.
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

21. The Following User High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

snus causes mouth cancer....which can be a hell of alot worse than many other deseases caused by smoking.
    there all bad,but if its used as a short term "crutch" i guess it may be a good idea.
    "replacing 1 bad habit with another is typically a bad idea.
    you just have to replace the habit with something rewarding like hookers or gambling then you can move on with your life."

dr. phil

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Quote Originally Posted by broncophan View Post
    I am struggling to quit smoking also.
    I have smoked for 20 years.....I bought Chantix and I actually quit for about 5 weeks while taking the first 30 day pack.....I had never gone a day without a smoke for the past 20 years.
    I got in an arguement with my wife and ran right back to the smokes....
    Still have the next 30 day pills but have not taken them.....I need to get back on track.

Other than nightmares while taking Chantix....it worked great for me......I am just an idiot for running back to them....and not handling stress better/ without the nicotine.

Good luck to others trying to quit.
    one of the girls that works for me has tried 5 times, keep at it and it will work. I know I was a royal ass when I was quiting. My wife was very supportive but we sure had our moments. I bought a hermonica for when I got stressed. It made me a little better knowing I was really annoying her and the kids LOL

Thanks MasterShake!!!

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived MileHighCrew For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information