Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Default Klis' Broncos Mailbag: McDaniels calling his own shots

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15016602

Broncos Mailbag: McDaniels calling his own shots

By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 05/05/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Hi Mike, what's your view on Josh McDaniel's authority on player personnel decisions? Does he have across-the-board authority? In other words, was it coach McDaniels who fell in love with Tebow, or was it the entire Broncos' organization?
    --Matt, Denver

Matt, McDaniels has final-say authority on all player personnel matters. A player as significant as Tim Tebow has to be McDaniels' call. McDaniels is the offensive expert, the quarterback guru.

His brother, new quarterbacks' coach Ben McDaniels, may have had significant influence on the Tebow decision. General manager Brian Xanders, a Florida State alum who may have grown tired of watching Tebow whip his Seminoles, may have had significant influence in the selection process.

But a decision this monumental was ultimately made by McDaniels. As for my view on McDaniels' autocratic power, I don't see how it can work any other way. The Broncos are implementing the offensive system he brought over from the New England Patriots. It's his 3-4 defensive system. McDaniels knows more than anyone else what kind of players fit those systems. He has to make the final call on player personnel.

Mike, I was very surprised we didn't draft Maurkice Pouncey from Florida in the first round to start at center. I actually liked the Broncos' draft, but we all know the key to offense is a good line and the key to a good line is a great left tackle (which we have) and a great center. Can the guys we drafted get it done this year?
    --Tod, Sedona

I think by far the greatest concern confronting the 2010 Broncos is their offensive line. There is either too many blockers coming off surgically-repaired injuries (left tackle Ryan Clady, center Russ Hochstein, right tackle Ryan Harris), or there is considerable inexperience (left guard Seth Olsen, center J.D. Walton, tackle Zane Beadles).

Right guard Chris Kuper is the only blocker without a major issue, and he has a contract matter.

Not only are there injuries and youth upfront, the Broncos are switching their blocking system. Instead of the five-man-all-move-as-one zone system that was the Broncos' trademark the previous 15 seasons, they are going to more of a power-pulling system.

And not only are there injuries, youth and a new blocking system, but long-time offensive line coach Rick Dennison has been replaced by Clancy Barone. Regarding the Broncos' offensive line, put its question mark in bold type.

The most encouraging aspect about the offensive line is whatever five blockers are put out there, they will be collectively bigger and stronger than the units of years past. At the very least, this offensive line is built to pick up a few more third-and-1s this year.

Would you please explain why the Broncos traded that fourth round pick to New England to get from 24 to 22? I know Baltimore allegedly wanted Demaryius Thomas. Was this a preemptive move on Denver's part? Why does McDaniels feel like he has to break the world record for the number of trades entered by a coach or GM?
    --Riley, Denver

Let's start from the beginning. The Broncos went into this draft with the No. 11 pick in the first round and Nos. 43 and 45 picks in the second round. Their plan was to get both Thomas and Tebow as far back as they could, without losing them.

That meant exchanging the No. 11 and 43 picks for two picks in between -- somewhere in the 20s to early 30s.

To do so, the Broncos had to pick up extra picks by trading back from their initial No. 11 position, and then use some of those extra picks to move in as needed.

The Broncos had maneuvered back to No. 24. Thomas and Tebow were still around through No. 21. New England, as is its custom, was willing to move back from its No. 22 overall pick. Several teams were interested in Thomas, including Baltimore, which had the No. 25 pick. So the Broncos moved into New England's spot, sacrificing only the fourth-round pick they had acquired earlier in the draft while moving back from No. 11.

Once Thomas came off the board, Baltimore was willing to deal away its No. 25 pick. The Broncos then made the deal for Tebow.

The execution of the plan should not be criticized. Fault the plan, if you like. Question the two players the Broncos coveted. But the maneuvering was something to behold.

I have no problem with McDaniels drafting Tebow in the first round. Between McDaniels' ability to develop quarterbacks and Tebow's work ethic, this could be a great combination. However, in a draft that was described as incredibly deep, why did we give up second, third and fourth round draft picks to move up? Did the Broncos have intelligence that would indicate someone would be taking Tebow soon?
    --Mike Jackson, Colorado Springs

Mike, the Broncos did think the Patriots might take Tebow at No. 27. They thought Buffalo, which was sitting at No. 41 in the second round -- or two spots ahead of the Broncos' pick on Saturday -- was making a move for Tebow. The Bills later denied interest in Tebow and owner Ralph Wilson said the Broncos "panicked" by giving up so much to get Tebow.

But all that matters in the end is the Broncos got their man. And not just a player, a potential franchise quarterback. If Tebow becomes what McDaniels thinks he'll become, a second, third and fourth-round draft pick is small compensation. Consider the Bears gave up two first-round draft picks, a third-rounder, plus a starting quarterback in Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and a fifth-round pick.

Among all the much talked-about movements the Broncos made this offseason, one went mostly unnoticed: Why was Andra Davis released? I thought he was one of the better acquisitions McDaniels made in his first year and seemed to bring steady play and leadership. Also, with all the Tebow talk, I think people have overlooked the fact the other first round pick Demaryius Thomas is a playmaker.
    --Mark Mascarenas, Great Falls, Montana

Mark, I agree Thomas was overlooked. But even Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick, became a draft afterthought once the Broncos took Tebow. Thomas will forever be the "other first-round pick" in the Broncos' 2010 draft, even though he was selected ahead of Tebow.

I must respectfully disagree, though, about Davis' release going unnoticed. Considering he was an aging, two-down linebacker, his departure got plenty of attention around here. What has gone unnoticed is the Broncos' faith in Mario Haggan to replace Davis at the "Mike" inside linebacker position, and in Robert Ayers to bounce back from a disappointing rookie season at outside linebacker.

Why was Davis released? His specialty is stopping the run and in three games against lowly Washington, Oakland and Kansas City, the Broncos' defense gave up a combined 732 yards rushing -- 244 yards per game.

Not that all those yards were on Davis or defensive lineman Kenny Peterson, who was also released. But changes in the run defense had to be made. Haggan, at 267 pounds, is stouter than the 251-pound Davis. Plus, moving Haggan inside creates an opportunity for Ayers, a first-round pick in 2009, to seize the strongside outside linebacker spot.

Can you tell me why the Broncos are showing no interest in some of the big D-lineman that are available in free agency or via a trade? I know some carry a big price tag but you could always reduce contracts.
    --G. Restauri, Ontario Canada

G., when a team completely overhauls its 3-man defensive front by signing Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan and Jarvis Green from free agency for a combined $50 million, I think that's plenty for one offseason.

Mike, I saw Adalius Thomas was released by the "Broncos East." How was his relationship with Josh McDaniels? And is there much chance the Broncos West will go after him as a free agent?
    --Kevin, Wyoming

I don't think so. Thomas' production during his three years in New England didn't match what he did in his final three years in Baltimore. And he will play at 33 this season.

Plus, I don't think McDaniels wants Thomas in his locker room. Thomas started talking too much his last two years in New England. He even took a jab at Bill Belichick. Former Patriot players are scared of knocking Belichick, much less active players.

I think from what we've learned about Josh McDaniels is Adalius Thomas isn't his kind of player.

I admit I was initially down on Tebow, but after doing some research, talking to some people who keep up with college football and watching every minute of video I could find, I like the pick. My question is: Why is everybody so down on him? The biggest knock on him is his mechanics, but he has worked on them and he can be coached. Is there something else?
    --Dave, Oregon

Until I read your name, I started thinking this question came directly from Josh McDaniels' computer. I was like you, Dave, in that initially, I didn't think Tebow -- who I consider right there with Vince Young as the best college player of all time -- could cut it as an NFL quarterback.

But for all the talk of leadership, winning mentality and other intangibles, NFL quarterbacks make their money by bringing their teams back from 10 points down, late in the third quarter. And I don't think those pass-every-down situations are well-suited for Tebow, who is widely considered a better running quarterback than passing quarterback.

However, like you Dave, I have come around. I can see Tebow operating a 2-minute drill from his own 20 something like this: Incomplete, incomplete, scramble 13 yards for a first down. Incomplete, incomplete, 17-yard completion for a first down. He may be only 1 for 5 in this scenario. But the Broncos would have the ball first-and-10 at midfield with plenty of time left.

Unlike you, Dave, I have not studied film of Tebow. But I do find it fascinating that smart football men like Jimmy Johnson don't believe Tebow can become an effective professional quarterback, and smart football men like Tony Dungy believe he can.

Can't wait till 2018 to see how it worked out.

I figured Nate Jones would be the final cornerback acquisition for the offseason. Then, we drafted Syd'Quan Thompson and Perrish Cox. At first, I thought, special teamers and return guys. However, the more film I see on them, the more I think they can play corner. Where do you see them fit in?
    --Mike, Rochester, NY

Mike, what's with all these mailbaggers watching film? I never watch film unless there's a bucket of buttered popcorn in my lap and Diet Coke in my cup holder.

Anyway, I know the Broncos had a first- or second-round talent grade on Cox, who fell to the fifth round because of character concerns. I like the Cox pick if only because too many people were starting to get concerned about the Broncos becoming overly concerned about character. Some of these people are football players. Players don't want to think they have to become a scout leader in order to stay employed. They want to scratch, belch, grunt, drive fast cars and annihilate on Sundays.

The selection of Cox sent the message that the Broncos' locker room isn't necessarily restricted to angels. Although, it probably wouldn't hurt Cox if he started acting like one.

Mike Klis is entering his sixth season of covering the Broncos for The Denver Post. He previously covered the Rockies and Major League Baseball for 15 years. Pose a Broncos- or NFL-related question for the Broncos Mailbag.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-05-2010 at 10:02 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

"The execution of the plan should not be criticized. Fault the plan, if you like. Question the two players the Broncos coveted. But the maneuvering was something to behold."

This is what we were discussing in another thread TX. Might not like the players, but the moves to get those picks was absolutely impressive.
    I think this is another overlooked reason why alot of analysts, beat writers, and so-called self proclaimed experts, spend so much time trying to talk smack and hate on MCD, and the Broncos.
    This guy who is younger than them pulls off moves that none of them could ever imagine! A lot of jealousy there.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    "The execution of the plan should not be criticized. Fault the plan, if you like. Question the two players the Broncos coveted. But the maneuvering was something to behold."

This is what we were discussing in another thread TX. Might not like the players, but the moves to get those picks was absolutely impressive.
    I think this is another overlooked reason why alot of analysts, beat writers, and so-called self proclaimed experts, spend so much time trying to talk smack and hate on MCD, and the Broncos.
    This guy who is younger than them pulls off moves that none of them could ever imagine! A lot of jealousy there.
    I understand that a lot people feel that maneuvering was brilliant. I guess at this moment it looks good because he got the players he wanted. However it is ultimately tied to the success of Tebow and Thomas. If Tebow and Thomas go on to have successful careers that legitimize it as truly brilliant maneuvering. If they don't I think it will not seen as brilliant.

That aside the most important thing to me is that both of these guys are in the fold and that they develop into cornerstones that make Denver contender and hopefully a winner for years to come.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I understand that a lot people feel that maneuvering was brilliant. I guess at this moment it looks good because he got the players he wanted. However it is ultimately tied to the success of Tebow and Thomas. If Tebow and Thomas go on to have successful careers that legitimize it as truly brilliant maneuvering. If they don't I think it will not seen as brilliant.

That aside the most important thing to me is that both of these guys are in the fold and that they develop into cornerstones that make Denver contender and hopefully a winner for years to come.
    I know the picks are tied to the players, but during the manuevering to get those picks no one knew what MCD was doing. So to be able to make those moves with rival teams for those picks was nothing short of brilliant.
    I am talking about the actual ability to wheel and deal with opposing teams like that. To have the ability to aquire all those picks in that short a time span, and then have it all ready to move right back into contention for the picks he wanted. This is very difficult, and although there were like 8 trades in the 1st round alone, no one moved around and manipulated the board like MCD. And he wanted those 2 players the whole time! Thats impressive.

Now your right though, in that no one will remember his impressive manuevering if these 2 dont pan out!

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post

Maneuvers in the draft are only tied to the players taken by people who choose to tie them together. They are, in fact, distinct from one another. It's like a chef cooking a steak to perfection, but unknowingly serving it to a vegetarian. The meal was a disaster, but that was still a damned fine steak.

Bottom line: they are two separate actions, even if the end result is viewed as a single event.
    Last edited by Tempus Fugit; 05-05-2010 at 11:57 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tempus Fugit For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

The point of the draft is to get the guy you want at the time you can, not to hope nobody else picks him and if so pick someone else. The draft is not a game. The Broncos got the guys they wanted when they could, that's a win.

12. The Following 6 Users High Fived KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit View Post
    Maneuvers in the draft are only tied to the players taken by people who choose to tie them together. They are, in fact, distinct from one another. It's like a chef cooking a steak to perfection, but unknowingly serving it to a vegetarian. The meal was a disaster, but that was still a damned fine steak.

Bottom line: they are two separate actions, even if the end result is viewed as a single event.
    I didn't say that the picks weren't separate one from the another.

14. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Lets not forget the fact that we were in a very fortunate position in the draft as well.

Thank you baby Jay for the Chicago draft pick, (not THOSE picks in the redzone) and for helping your team grow into a bland NFL team.

Too bad Lovie Smith and the boys will lose their jobs this year because of you.

IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Let's leave Cutler out of this thread since it's not about him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Cutler sucks.
    I NO LONGER support Rahim Moore.

18. The Following 4 Users High Fived honz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Lets not forget the fact that we were in a very fortunate position in the draft as well.

Thank you baby Jay for the Chicago draft pick, (not THOSE picks in the redzone) and for helping your team grow into a bland NFL team.

Too bad Lovie Smith and the boys will lose their jobs this year because of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    I actually see DET taking 3rd in that division.
    MIN 12-4
    GB 11-5
    DET 7-9
    CHI 5-11

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    I actually see DET taking 3rd in that division.
    MIN 12-4
    GB 11-5
    DET 7-9
    CHI 5-11
    without really looking at each schedule MY general thought is that the cellar will be either bears or lions, oh my.

neither of them have the horse to win it without major scalpel time for GB and MIN they have a lot of horses. MIN has the LOS players bar none. GB has a damned fine team and their D after a full year moving to the 3-4 should be even better.

The Only thing the bears have going for them is the return of 33 year old Urlacher coming off of IIRC Knee surgery and will all know that that is likely to be at 70% oat best and I do not think that is enough. jay just is not good enough without some major upgrade on the LOS or skill players to be a FQB that carries his team. Glad he got a Guaranteed contract last year, because he is going to kill two more coaches this year in love and THE OC probably even the GM.

DET has a lot of horses in the barn but they for the most part are VERY young.

22. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

23. Default

Why is Mike Klis qualified to write on the Broncos, if he, since the draft 10 days ago, has not watched film on Syd'Quan Thompson and Perrish Cox, let alone Tim Tebow? I seriously don't get this. Why is he deemed worthy enough to be one of the highest paid Broncos reporters in my city? How can he make these judgements?

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived Rusty Shackleford For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
    Why is Mike Klis qualified to write on the Broncos, if he, since the draft 10 days ago, has not watched film on Syd'Quan Thompson and Perrish Cox, let alone Tim Tebow? I seriously don't get this. Why is he deemed worthy enough to be one of the highest paid Broncos reporters in my city? How can he make these judgements?

Sure it was partly 'tongue in cheek'.

Plus, it's not what you know but who you know.

Or, at least he thinks he does.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information