Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a Returner Make Special Teams Special?

Default Can a Returner Make Special Teams Special?

Let's face it. The Broncos special teams have been bad for a while. Our return teams haven't struck fear into opponents since the days of Rick Upchurch bringing them back. This year we invested a 2nd round draft pick on a kick returner. Can Eddie Royal, and possibly a guy like Anthony Alridge make our special teams(return teams that is), special again, or does it really even matter if you don't have decent blocking?

Some would say that a great return man would fix the problems in our return game. Others would argue that you could put Devin Hester behind last year's special teams in Denver and he would look average himself.

Dante Hall was traded to St Louis last season. The year before, in 2006, the Rams finished 26th in KO returns and tied for 27th in punt returns. With Hall, in 2007 the Rams finished 9th in KO returns and 4th in punt returns. Conversely, the Chiefs went from 24th in KO returns and 23rd in punt returns in 2006, to 30th in KO returns and 25th in punt returns in 2007.

In 2005, the Bears were 29th in KO returns and tied for 9th in punt returns. After drafting Hester in 2006 they were 9th in KO returns and 2nd in punt returns.

In 2004 the Texans were 20th in KO returns and 23rd in punt returns. After drafting Jerome Mathis in 2005 they were 2nd in KO returns and 22nd in punt returns. Mathis only had 12 of the teams 30 punt returns that season.

I'm a beleiver that special teams is comprised of 11 players that all have to do thier job in order to acheive success. BUT...a special returner can make up for a lot of mistakes. Would Devin Hester be an average returner in Denver? I say no. Here's to Fast Eddie Royal being one of the special ones.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

What I don't get is, if it's the blocking that's bad, what made it bad in Denver's case? Is it the coaching, the scheme, the lack of talent of the players?

Usually, special teams is where players try to prove themselves in order to get to the main squad. Usually, you don't risk your starters, although I know we have with Champ. This makes me think that the talent level, at least for the blockers, should be around the same for all teams. So why is Denver bad at blocking in special teams?

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    What I don't get is, if it's the blocking that's bad, what made it bad in Denver's case? Is it the coaching, the scheme, the lack of talent of the players?

Usually, special teams is where players try to prove themselves in order to get to the main squad. Usually, you don't risk your starters, although I know we have with Champ. This makes me think that the talent level, at least for the blockers, should be around the same for all teams. So why is Denver bad at blocking in special teams?
    It the lack of quality depth on the team, especial at LB and WR

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

When I first read this article my first thought was, how can a returner return with crappy blocking? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I saw way too many missed blocks on both kick offs and punts this past season. I dunno.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

If they give Fast Eddie some blocking, he'll do the rest!!

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    If they give Fast Eddie some blocking, he'll do the rest!!

-----
    That's what I'm wishing for!!

Two words: Domenik Hixon

He did pretty well after we cut him...go figure.

10. The Following User High Fived scott.475 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Of course an elite return man can make our special teams BETTER. But an elite return man alone will not make our special teams ELITE. I have no doubt that we will be better on ST than we have been in the last couple of years...but I still dont think we will be top 10 in the league. We need better coaching and better players, not just one or two fast return guys.

12. The Following User High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

Denver won just about every aspect of the game versus the Chicago Bears last year........except special teams. Devin Hester lit us up and was one of the main factors on why Denver lost that game.

Our special teams were actually much improved last year. We didn't do so well against the top two units in the country in Chicago and Buffalo, but starting field position was better and we had our first return for a touchdown in like three years with a nobody carrying the rock. Scott O'Brien is slowly turning this unit around and it will be much better next year because of it. Unfortunately when it is, most people will say its all because of Eddie Royal.
    I am Khan

15. The Following User High Fived Kaylore For This Post:

GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
    Our special teams were actually much improved last year. We didn't do so well against the top two units in the country in Chicago and Buffalo, but starting field position was better and we had our first return for a touchdown in like three years with a nobody carrying the rock. Scott O'Brien is slowly turning this unit around and it will be much better next year because of it. Unfortunately when it is, most people will say its all because of Eddie Royal.
    Ahha! Found ya! That "other" forum finally "banned" everyone for abusing the children,(whatever) so we had to migrate again.
    the REV was getting busy spitting fire and brimstone, so they banished us from OZ. Kidding!! Kidding!!
    I see Lex and some of the others have managed to find this place as well!
    There should be a mass exodus over to here in the near future.

So on the topic of STs, alls i can say is Hixon suddleny looked pretty good with some blockers out in front of him in NY, so i think its more of a team of guys working together on the same page, AND having a guy who is elusive and smooth running it back for ya as well. Last year, DENs STs looked like everyone was just running around lost, trying to pick up a block here and there, but no real discipline out there.
    Just mt 2 cents

17. The Following User High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    Ahha! Found ya! That "other" forum finally "banned" everyone for abusing the children,(whatever) so we had to migrate again.
    the REV was getting busy spitting fire and brimstone, so they banished us from OZ. Kidding!! Kidding!!

So on the topic of STs, alls i can say is Hixon suddleny looked pretty good with some blockers out in front of him in NY, so i think its more of a team of guys working together on the same page, AND having a guy who is elusive and smooth running it back for ya as well. Last year, DENs STs looked like everyone was just running around lost, trying to pick up a block here and there, but no real discipline out there.
    Just mt 2 cents
    Not sure it was just last year. Their STs have sucked and looked lost for the past few seasons. Can't even remember when the last time I thought the special teams were special (other than Elam, of course).

Welcome to the site. We'll try and make sure our children don't abuse you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not sure it was just last year. Their STs have sucked and looked lost for the past few seasons. Can't even remember when the last time I thought the special teams were special (other than Elam, of course).

Welcome to the site. We'll try and make sure our children don't abuse you guys.
    Yeah, STs has not exactly been "special" for a while, but it wasnt too bad when DWill was returning kicks if i remember correctly. They at least looked dangerous at times, and had a little swagger to them.
    I dont think an NFL team has to have a absolute stellar STs like say CHi for example, but jeez, at least get the freakin ball past the 6 yard line ok?!?!?
    You can just feel the air come out of the offense before they even get on the field, when Cutlers taking the snap in the end zone.

And thanks for the Welcome. Alot of OManers looking for a decent home when the site went down. Went to the Official DEN Broncos site forum, but they are a little "G" rated over there, not alot going on.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post

Just mt 2 cents
    Actually Hixon is an interesting subject. He was on the radio here and he admitted that after Kevin Everett he was timid and said it took getting cut to wake him up. It's unfortunate that it meant the loss of Hixon for the Broncos, but it worked out for him and the Giants in the end.
    I am Khan

Now i didnt watch a lot of the giants games last year, but I keep hearing how well hixon did with the giants..

He returned 1 for a td. Just like Glen freaking martinez. Now dom might have had a bunch of other good runs, but i dont remember seeing anything in the few Gmen games i saw.

Yeah he won a superbowl, but that was more him getting picked up by the right team.

So please correct me if i am wrong, but i dont think hixon is very good, nor did the change of scenery help him anymore than it would had glen martinez gone there instead.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

22. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information