Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Demaryius Thomas Write Up

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Default Demaryius Thomas Write Up

Very, very seldom do you see 9s awarded in different categories. He got two.

Demaryius Thomas
    WR, Georgia Tech

Obviously receiver is a huge need after the trade of Brandon Marshall, and we believe Thomas would have been warranted at their original spot at No. 11. He compares favorably to Andre Johnson, with his outstanding combination of size, athleticism, and aggressiveness after the catch.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS

Hands: Lacks elite hands, which could cause him to struggle a bit. Adjusts well to make tough catches on both low and high passes. Tends to trap passes against his body or double-catch easy passes, which leads to drops. Uses body well to shield defenders and make tough catches. Gets up high to win jump-ball battles over cornerbacks, which makes him a real red-zone threat. Caught 87 percent of the passes he had a realistic chance of catching in the games we evaluated. Grade: 7.0

Patterns: Flashes ability to run sharp and precise routes downfield, but many of his routes in Georgia Tech's triple-option offense were near the line of scrimmage. Shows the athleticism to get in and out of cuts quickly on "out" routes; shows a burst toward the sideline to separate. Shows deceptive speed on deep routes; long stride makes him look like he is not going fast. Separates from defender and often has to slow down to wait for underthrown passes. Grade: 7.0

Run after catch: Is a big-play threat on every touch. Shows excellent quickness turning downfield after the catch; accelerates to full speed in a flash and has the speed to take plays the distance. Can outrun defenders who have angles on him. Uses stiff-arm well on first defender, and runs through would-be tacklers to make big play. Grade: 9.0

Release: Does not explode off the snap, but accelerates and quickly closes cushion on defender. Lacks experience beating jams, but has good stiff-arm that makes us confident he can handle physical NFL cornerbacks. Grade: 5.5

Blocking: Is an excellent blocker who uses his size, strength and competitiveness to eliminate man. Gets after defender quickly. If ballcarrier gets by him, shows real competitiveness hustling downfield to block additional defenders. Is highly competitive coming down the line to make crack-back blocks on linebackers to set the corner for the running back. Will become one of NFL's best blocking receivers. Grade: 9.0

Bottom line: Thomas, a junior, is a big receiver with outstanding athleticism who shows the ability to make big plays -- it is amazing that a receiver playing in an option offense has been able to average over 24 yards per catch. However, he must improve his fundamentals -- especially route-running, catching and recognizing coverages -- after playing in a rudimentary passing attack in college. His broken foot is almost healed, and he eventually will become an elite NFL receiver. He reminds us Calvin Johnson with worse hands but better explosiveness and speed.

Vinnie Iyer analysis
    It was inevitable that Denver would land a big, physical, top-end athlete to replace Brandon Marshall. Thomas has the all-around skills to be a star receiver, and unlike the way Marshall behaved up until the point he was traded, Thomas comes to the team with great intangibles.

Correspondent Analysis
    How he fits: The Broncos had a desperate need at wide receiver after the Brandon Marshall trade, and in Thomas Denver may have landed a speedier version with similar size. Thomas was a bit of a medical risk after suffering a broken foot before the Combine. But he ran a 4.38 previously, and his 25.1-yard average per catch on 46 receptions as a senior was hard to ignore.

When he'll play: Denver has solid possession receivers in Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley and a shifty route-runner in Eddie Royal. What the team lacked -- even with Marshall -- was a game-breaker who could stretch the field. So Thomas could make an immediate impact in that regard. Quarterback Kyle Orton has fought a perception that he doesn't have a big arm. His ability to throw deep will be tested with Thomas' speed.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

as if you couldn't tell by my avi... I'm really happy we drafted Bay Bay.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

4. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

It will be interesting to see how quickly he develops. After spending a 1st rounder on him when guys like Williams, Odrick, and Bulaga were on the board, I hope he's worth the 22nd pick in the long run.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how quickly he develops. After spending a 1st rounder on him when guys like Williams, Odrick, and Bulaga were on the board, I hope he's worth the 22nd pick in the long run.

He had a higher grade than all those players on most peoples boards.

Bulaga we were never interested in taking imo.

One thing he brings right away, that is the ability to stretch the field, go up and get the ball.

We havent had that here in YEARS.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

7. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

GEM

I have to say one thing about him, when my Hurricanes slaughtered Georgia Tech this season, Thomas was the only Yellow Jacket that did anything in that game.

He was the only receiver that gained any yards on the entire Yellow Jacket team. I think he had 150 yards, and the QB didn't have any other completions other than the ones to Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Orton seems to have the deep threat he needs now. And it may well open up
    the deep capabilities of Gaffney and Royal, too, who have proven they can
    play deep under the right circumstances, at least as complements.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post

-----
    Only if Orton could throw a deep ball.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    I don't know where you or anyone else got the idea he can't. Especially when
    he proved it twice in the last game of this last season, not to mention several
    other times, such as the NE game, the first SD game, and the Washington game.
    And not to mention 2008. I have provided videos of all of them right on this
    board.

Especially when he came into the league in the first place with the reputation
    as a strong-armed QB.

This jacket that has been placed on him is one of the biggest lies ever posted on
    these boards.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

I like what was said but not the comparisons to players...

Calvin johnson- they said worse hands but better speed. WRONG! Thomas is fast but not as fast as megatron!

Andre Johnson- Has the size/speed part, but Dez Bryant plays more like AJ then DT does. I do not like that comparison as much. DT I believe is bigger than AJ in terms of size...

I compared DT- as a marshall clone balls to bones back in January and obviously we have already heard that. But if we want another WR to compare too then i think it would be TO in his prime.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

-----
    If Orton were actually going to be our QB this year you'd be right!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    as if you couldn't tell by my avi... I'm really happy we drafted Bay Bay.
    I would have never guessed.

I don't know where you or anyone else got the idea he can't. Especially when
    he proved it twice in the last game of this last season, not to mention several
    other times, such as the NE game, the first SD game, and the Washington game.
    And not to mention 2008. I have provided videos of all of them right on this
    board.

Especially when he came into the league in the first place with the reputation
    as a strong-armed QB.

This jacket that has been placed on him is one of the biggest lies ever posted on
    these boards.

-----
    This post was so awesome you had to high five it yourself Top??

18. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Now see, why did you have to get Top all riled up now.

20. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Now see, why did you have to get Top all riled up now.
    It's not Tops fault that Orton has a wet noodle for an arm.

22. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

-----
    Sweet Jeebus you love Orton.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information