Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Shut Down the Mastermind?

Default Who Shut Down the Mastermind?

Who Shut Down the Mastermind?

Much has been made about the lack of creativity in the Broncos offensive scheme. Much has been made about the struggles in the red zone, and rightly so. Mike Shanahan is the head coach. He was nicknamed the ‘mastermind’ for his ability to break down any defense thrown against his offenses. Yet in recent years, the Broncos offense has not exactly put fear into the hearts of opponents. The mastermind has been shut down. Who’s the culprit? Let’s take a closer look to figure it out.

Shanahan’s greatest day as an offensive coordinator came in Super Bowl XXIVX while calling plays for the San Francisco 49'ers. San Fran scored 49 points, and racked up 455 yards and 7 TD's. That 49’ers offense had 9 starters on the offensive side of the ball that were in the pro bowl at one time in their career.

He began his Denver Broncos head coaching career in 1995. Within 4 years he had compiled a record of 47-17 with 2 Super Bowl victories. Denver also had 9 starters on the offensive side of the ball that were in the pro bowl at one time in their career.

In the years following the Broncos two Super Bowl victories, Denver has placed just 4 offensive players in the Pro Bowl that were not part of their Super Bowl teams. 4 players in 9 years. Despite the severe drop off in talent on both sides of the ball, the Broncos have had only 2 losing seasons in those 9 years. Mike Shanahan can win with the proper talent. As a matter of fact, he’s proven that he can win it all with the proper talent. The problem is that Denver’s talent base has been so diminished over that last 9 years, that he has spent most of his offensive prowess covering up for the deficiencies of the players on the field. For instance, Jake Plummer was one of the best scrambling quarterbacks in the NFL. He could complete a pass on the run as well as anyone. Set him back in the pocket, however, and you were normally assured of quite a different outcome. The bootleg became the staple of Denver’s offense. Not out of creativity, but necessity. Along comes Jay Cutler, and Denver once again has a pocket quarterback. Cutler can scramble, but his skills are best utilized in the pocket. The problem? Denver doesn’t have an offensive line capable of holding a pocket against a good defense. Have these been the only problems with the offense? No. The list goes on and on. These are just 2 examples of why Mike Shanahan has not been able to utilize his creativity in play calling like he did with San Fransisco and Denver during the Super Bowl years.

Who’s to blame? Why, the man making personnel decisions of course. That would be Mike Shanahan, the man who has the final say in all draft choices and free agent signings. One may argue that he trusts the research of his underlings. If so, these underlings should have been looking for new employers long ago. Whose decision was it to keep them for so long? None other than Mike Shanahan himself.

There is truly only one person that could have shut down the mastermind. That would be the mastermind himself. For now, the Broncos have the right man in charge of the offense. When will Shanahan win another Super Bowl? When he has the proper tools to work with. So should we fire Shanahan the personnel guy? That, my friends, is a debate for another day.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-02-2008 at 04:38 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Great article!

I agree that if the right decisions were made when it came to FA signings and Draft picks, this team would be completely different. I think if we had two good drafts since 2000 to go with the last two drafts, we would be a completely different team. At the end of the day, Shanahan's decisions have cost us BIG TIME. Hopefully either his draftinb ability gets alot better/ has gotten alot better or we get a real GM.

4. The Following User High Fived Retired_Member_001 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Shanahan’s greatest day as an offensive coordinator came in Super Bowl XXIV while calling plays for the San Francisco 49’ers. After cutting through the Denver Broncos defense like a hot knife through butter, the Niners’ offense had set numerous Super Bowl records on their way to a 55-10 win. Besides the 55 points, San Fran racked up 461 net yards and 7 Super Bowl records that still stand to this day. That 49’ers offense had 9 starters on the offensive side of the ball that were in the pro bowl at one time in their career.

Not true. He was on the Broncos sideline in SB XXIV as the QB coach.

He was the OC for the 49ers in SB XXIX when they scored 49 points and Steve Young had 6 touchdown passes.

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived tubby For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post

He was the OC for the 49ers in SB XXIX when they scored 49 points and Steve Young had 6 touchdown passes.
    Good catch, tubster.

uh oh. Gonna need a ruling here.
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

It's close, but I gave the edge to Super Bowl XXIV:

Super Bowl XXIV:
    461 Yards
    8 TD's: 5 passing, 3 rushing
    55 points

Super Bowl XXIX:
    455 yards
    7 TD's: 6 passing, 1 rushing
    49 points

Great article

bring in a real GM to work with Shanny the coach

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

It's close, but I gave the edge to Super Bowl XXIV:

Super Bowl XXIV:
    461 Yards
    8 TD's: 5 passing, 3 rushing
    55 points

Super Bowl XXIX:
    455 yards
    7 TD's: 6 passing, 1 rushing
    49 points
    I think he's referring to the fact that Shanahan was with the Broncos, not the 49'ers during SB XXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I think he's referring to the fact that Shanahan was with the Broncos, not the 49'ers during SB XXIV.
    Yes, good catch Tubby. I'm going to sit in the corner with the dunce cap on now.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Yes, good catch Tubby. I'm going to sit in the corner with the dunce cap on now.
    It happens. Just swap out that paragraph with the SB XXIX stuff.

16. The Following User High Fived tubby For This Post:

You will have to borrow the cap from Joe.
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by cswil View Post
    It really needed a good cleaning from cswil's overuse.

Quote Originally Posted by cswil View Post
    Hold on. Let me grab my sunglasses.

20. The Following User High Fived tubby For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Great article, Ziggy, in the way you laid it out and wrote it. Congrats! I
    expect nothing less of you. I also respect your knowledge and opinions on the
    board.

However, once again, are we not dealing with history here? I mean, the
    drafting years 2001-2004 just stunk, outside D.J. Williams. However, the
    2005 draft was a pretty good one, and it has seemed to get better since.

Shanny's FA moves have been pretty decent, too (although I'm not happy
    with his letting go of a couple players).

You wouldn't be writing this two to three years late, would you?

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 05-02-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

It's edited and correct. Still 9 pro bowlers on that offense. Thanks for the catch Tubby.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information