Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Band

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I'm sorry I don't approve of games that steer away from the real joy of music. Parents should be getting their kids real instruments, not idiotic video game instruments. (IMHO)

A woman in a Minneapolis Best Buy asked me what I thought about Rock Band and told her to do herself and her kids a favor and get them real instruments. Boy was she pissed, but I'm glad I made my mark.

What's going to get the ladies SR? "Oh hey, I can play Say It Ain't So on expert, how about that ladies!" Nah, it's senseless. A huge Guitar Hero fanatic said it was harder to play songs on expert than it is to play those songs in real life. I just had to laugh.

Real instruments > fake ones.

There is no "getting over myself" here -- I just don't "dig" games like that. Doesn't make sense. If people spent hours playing real guitar or real instruments as much as they do Rock Band or Guitar Hero -- the world would be a lot better place. [Hyperbole.]
    It's completely possible that Guitar Hero and Rock Band could steer someone toward "real" music that might not have been otherwise.

My stepson has never shown an interest in classic rock tunes until he started playing songs like Mississippi Woman and Sunshine of my Love on Guitar Hero. And for his birthday he wants a "real" guitar because he wants to learn to play "Welcome To The Jungle" for "real".

You can say what you want about the games but it is a fact that the popularity of the games has given rock music a little bit of a resurgence. And that is not a bad thing.

If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived DallasChief For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by DallasChief View Post
    It's completely possible that Guitar Hero and Rock Band could steer someone toward "real" music that might not have been otherwise.

My stepson has never shown an interest in classic rock tunes until he started playing songs like Mississippi Woman and Sunshine of my Love on Guitar Hero. And for his birthday he wants a "real" guitar because he wants to learn to play "Welcome To The Jungle" for "real".

You can say what you want about the games but it is a fact that the popularity of the games has given rock music a little bit of a resurgence. And that is not a bad thing.

Really? Nah....never...impossible.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Rock Band is a fun game, but i've grown into a guitar hero hater. It's not just that you'd feel more accomplished buying a real guitar and learning how to play it. Because some people just aren't meant to play instruments which is where this game comes into play. But the most annoying thing about these games is the fanboys who walk around saying they're better than you because they can play *insert guitar hero song title* on expert. Well try playing it on REAL GUITAR! Plus they walk around school and when I ask them what their favorite song is of the band shirt they're wearing they 99% of the time say the most popular song that is on guitar hero and often they can't even name any other song. They're posers and it pisses me off.

But when you play with level headed people who don't think they're badass because they can play on expert it's pretty dang fun. Rock Band is 10 times better though both because of the 4 different "instruments" to play and because the guitar doesn't make the extremely annoying clicking sound.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I'm sorry I don't approve of games that steer away from the real joy of music. Parents should be getting their kids real instruments, not idiotic video game instruments. (IMHO)

A woman in a Minneapolis Best Buy asked me what I thought about Rock Band and told her to do herself and her kids a favor and get them real instruments. Boy was she pissed, but I'm glad I made my mark.

What's going to get the ladies SR? "Oh hey, I can play Say It Ain't So on expert, how about that ladies!" Nah, it's senseless. A huge Guitar Hero fanatic said it was harder to play songs on expert than it is to play those songs in real life. I just had to laugh.

Real instruments > fake ones.

There is no "getting over myself" here -- I just don't "dig" games like that. Doesn't make sense. If people spent hours playing real guitar or real instruments as much as they do Rock Band or Guitar Hero -- the world would be a lot better place. [Hyperbole.]
    Well guess what Dream, I'm not a little kid and I like Rock Band.

And as a matter of fact, picking up ladies has never been a weakness for me. As a matter of fact, the ladies love the Rock Band.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

6. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post

But when you play with level headed people who don't think they're badass because they can play on expert it's pretty dang fun. Rock Band is 10 times better though both because of the 4 different "instruments" to play and because the guitar doesn't make the extremely annoying clicking sound.
    Friday night we had me playing guitar, my buddy Richard on drums, my buddy Don on bass, and my buddy Danny on vocals. It was a blast. I've never had so much fun playing a damn game in my life.

8. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Friday night we had me playing guitar, my buddy Richard on drums, my buddy Don on bass, and my buddy Danny on vocals. It was a blast. I've never had so much fun playing a damn game in my life.
    I love playing with some friends...we tried to beat one of the Boston songs on expert on drums and we had all four of us playing different parts of the drumset. We still failed.

10. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

4 player is awesome. The time can fly by though. I think this game opens people up to music, especially older songs that they may have never heard before. I can see how this could turn a child who wasn't very interested in music into a child that craved music (I'm not a parent, so that's just my opinion). I think Dream missed the point. Rockband is a great game, that gets better the more friends you have playing it (and yes Dream, that can include girlies...what a concept) If that's not enjoying music, guess I should be deaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    4 player is awesome. The time can fly by though. I think this game opens people up to music, especially older songs that they may have never heard before. I can see how this could turn a child who wasn't very interested in music into a child that craved music (I'm not a parent, so that's just my opinion). I think Dream missed the point. Rockband is a great game, that gets better the more friends you have playing it (and yes Dream, that can include girlies...what a concept) If that's not enjoying music, guess I should be deaf.
    Guitar Hero's certainly done that for my lad......................he now think's Slash can walk on water
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

I gave in and bought Rockband last night. I may never sleep again.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

14. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    I gave in and bought Rockband last night. I may never sleep again.
    It's well worth the $150.

My little brother has Guitaro Hero: Legends of Rock and I played it over the weekend...had a blast. Playing guitar on Guitar Hero is WAY harder than playing guitar on Rock Band.

Adopted Bronco:

I did that awhile back and played the living hell out of it. Now it sits there while I continue to play GH.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Guitar Hero IV is supposed to be coming out this summer and should have a lot of killer songs on it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Guitar Hero IV is supposed to be coming out this summer and should have a lot of killer songs on it.
    GH IV is not the summer release, they're releasing Guitar Hero:Aerosmith..........

From what I read somewhere, 60% Aerosmith tracks, played at recreated venues from the band's history, and 40% bands that have either supported Aerosmith on tour (possibly including the like of Mott the Hoople), or bands that have been inspired by Aerosmith (expect some G'n'R then )......

Oh, and both the original & Run DMC versions of Walk This Way

Interesting idea, personally I'd love to see a Queen version if this worksjust from the two Queen gigs I went to you'd get Simple Minds, Status Quo, Metallica, Def Lep, Extreme and the rock gods that are Spinal Tap
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

Adopted Bronco:

The Aerosmith game comes out next month and GH IV, will most likely be released close to Christmas.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Den21vsBal19 View Post
    GH IV is not the summer release, they're releasing Guitar Hero:Aerosmith..........

From what I read somewhere, 60% Aerosmith tracks, played at recreated venues from the band's history, and 40% bands that have either supported Aerosmith on tour (possibly including the like of Mott the Hoople), or bands that have been inspired by Aerosmith (expect some G'n'R then )......

Oh, and both the original & Run DMC versions of Walk This Way

Interesting idea, personally I'd love to see a Queen version if this worksjust from the two Queen gigs I went to you'd get Simple Minds, Status Quo, Metallica, Def Lep, Extreme and the rock gods that are Spinal Tap
    That works too. I don't know if I'll buy that one, but I may buy the Legends of Rock one. That one had a bunch of killer tracks on it.

21. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information