Thread: Broncos Pick Two in Primetime

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos Pick Two in Primetime

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...&storyID=10052

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On the first day of the 2010 NFL Draft, the Broncos took full advantage of the primetime spotlight.

Denver began the evening with the 11th overall pick in the draft. But no sooner was the team on the clock than the pick was traded to San Francisco for the 13th overall selection and a fourth-rounder.

But the action didn't stop there. The Broncos traded their pick yet again, this time to the Philadelphia Eagles for the 24th overall pick and two third-rounders.

When their time finally came, Denver didn't hesitate to swoop in for Georgia Tech wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

The 6-foot-3, 224-pound receiver averaged more than 25 yards per catch in 2009 and ranked second in the ACC in receiving yards per game.

In a run-dominated Georgia Tech offense, Thomas put up 1,154 receiving yards and eight touchdowns as a senior, bringing his career totals to 120 receptions, 2,339 yards and 14 touchdowns with the Yellow Jackets.

To put it in perspective, Georgia Tech led the ACC in 2009 by averaging more than 295 rushing yards per game. The Yellow Jackets ranked last in the ACC in passing offense, yet Thomas found a way to excel.

Then, with the first round coming to a close, the Broncos jumped back into the fray, trading with Baltimore for 25th overall pick. In return, the Ravens got the 43rd, 70th and 114th overall selections.

With the pick, the Broncos snared one of the most talked-about prospects in this year's class -- Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.

"Everything that you're watching on film is accurate, tough, smart, good leader, versatile, can move out of the pocket, can move in the pocket, can run with the ball," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said of Tebow before the draft. "This guy scored -- what is he, the third-leading passer all-time and the leading scorer in rushing touchdowns (in the SEC) over Herschel (Walker)? There are so many things that you can say about the kid. Then, to top that all off, he's every bit the person that you read about before you got the chance to meet him. He's very enthusiastic, wants to work hard, smart, bright, one of the smarter players I've ever been around in terms of coming out of college."

Tebow, the only sophomore ever to win the Heisman Trophy, is a two-time BCS national champion -- he won as a freshman and won again in 2008 as the starting quarterback -- and owns five NCAA, 14 SEC and 28 University of Florida records.

He threw for 9,285 yards and 88 touchdowns in his four seasons with the Gators, while having also gained 2,947 yards on the ground with 57 rushing touchdowns, both school records by a Florida quarterback. In his last game in college, he set Sugar Bowl and BCS bowl records with 533 yards of total offense, 482 passing yards and a completion percentage of 88.6.

"All I have to say to Denver is thank you," Tebow said. "I'm going to give everything in my heart, in my head and in my soul to that organization and try to help that organization as much as I can. I'm just looking forward to the challenge of playing in the NFL."

At the NFL Combine, Tebow was a top performer at his position in the 40-yard dash, vertical jump, broad jump, the 3-cone drill, the 20-yard shuttle and the 60-yard shuttle.

Some still doubt that he can take it to the next level, but McDaniels said before the draft that there is "no question" Tebow will find success in the NFL. The rookie quarterback told NFL Network he has a few words for the critics as well.

"Thank you for the motivation."

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Prove me wrong Tebag and all will be well.

Adopted Bronco:
    ME!

Yeah, he sucks!

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I love him.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

It's not going to be his fault he got drafted too high. Kind of a shame. Seems like a decent enough guy--but now odds are he'll be on those "100 greatest draft busts" documentaries running for eternity. Wouldn't have happened if he'd been drafted where he should have been. McDaniels just cursed him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Seems like a decent enough guy...
    Damn those men of integrity.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Denver had an excellent first 'day'. Now it's time for the Broncos to look to the line and linebackers, not necessarily in that order.

9. The Following User High Fived Tempus Fugit For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information