Class:
    Sr
    School:
    Arizona State
    Conference:
    Pac-10
    Ht., Wt.:
    6-0.5, 222

BIOGRAPHY: Junior-college transfer who totaled 110/553/5 on the ground as a senior while adding seven receptions. Played in six games last year before fracturing his toe, which required season-ending surgery to repair. Junior-year totals included 223/1229/7.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized straight-line runner who could end up as one of the hidden gems in this draft. Plays with an aggressive style, doles out punishment, and runs over defenders to pick up yardage off initial contact. Finds the running lanes, quick through the hole, and falls forward when tackled. Patient, waits for blocks to develop, and runs with authority. Effectively picks up the blitz and gets results blocking.

NEGATIVES: Not a creative or elusive runner. Possesses marginal playing speed and cannot turn the corner. Average pass-catcher out of the backfield.

ANALYSIS: Torain was expected to turn in a big senior campaign, but an injury put him on the sidelines. He possesses the size and skill to be a strong interior runner at the next level. He could be a fine complement to a feature back on a roster.

PROJECTION: Middle Sixth Round

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Scarface For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

This was a horrible pick. We could have taken him later or signed him as a UFA...or someone like him. This bargain basement running back crap sucks.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived lex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

The only pick I am actually against. Injured in JuCo as well as multiple injuries at ASU. We already have 3 RBs who have injury concerns.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

we could of had tashard choice with the late 4th round pick. instead the cowboys take him a few spots later. why did the cowboys pick up another rb when they drafted felix jones in round 1 and already have barber? i'll tell you why....because choice has heart and is going to be a damn good football player in the nfl.

another missed oportunity by the broncos.

i too am getting tired of second rate and lower tiered players. this diamond in the ruff stuff has got to end. the broncos seriously need to find a gm.....fast!
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Agreed. Terrible pick. There are at least 2 RB's I liked better than Torain here. He'll be listed at fullback by 2009 and really he's just a short-yardage option to try and overcome our horrible power success percentage and red zone efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8r View Post
    Agreed. Terrible pick. There are at least 2 RB's I liked better than Torain here. He'll be listed at fullback by 2009 and really he's just a short-yardage option to try and overcome our horrible power success percentage and red zone efficiency.
    this is mike bell part 2....torain almost runs a 4.7.

im scratching my head on every single pick since the 1st round. lots of really good players went out the window.

powell and that lightsaber dude i guess are ok choices....but damn....i wonder if sunquist should have stayed at least through the draft.
    Last edited by DenBronx; 04-27-2008 at 02:19 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    this is mike bell part 2....torain almost runs a 4.7.

im scratching my head on every single pick since the 1st round. lots of really good players went out the window.
    I think he just gives Denver a pile driver for a year or two. After Henry's wheels fall off (which they may have done so already), then what? This is a stopgap pick. Bad strategy.

Default Meet Mike Bell's evil twin

Ryan Torain

Mike Bell

14. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

we could of had tashard choice with the late 4th round pick. instead the cowboys take him a few spots later. why did the cowboys pick up another rb when they drafted felix jones in round 1 and already have barber? i'll tell you why....because choice has heart and is going to be a damn good football player in the nfl.

another missed oportunity by the broncos.

i too am getting tired of second rate and lower tiered players. this diamond in the ruff stuff has got to end. the broncos seriously need to find a gm.....fast!

mikey has TD syndrome thinking he can make HOF players out of 5-6 round choices..

Your correct we need a TRUE Professional GM in the worst way..

Enough of this we will build our coaching and scouting teams from within.. All under the tutelage of mikey.. while he has been a great coach or at least was one during the Superbowl years. I do not think anyone fears his teams any longer.. SAN certainly does not any longer..

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I'm gonna hope that he is short yardage and goalline terror and he doesn't have to be healthy or fast for his 3-5 carries per game.

Compares To: MIKE ANDERSON-ex-Baltimore...Like Anderson, Torain can get the tough yardage in between the tackles or in short-yardage situations. He is a physical runner with adequate speed, but lacks the burst or elusiveness to break free in the open field. He shows good vision attacking the holes and patience following his blockers, but is strictly a one-cut runner with marginal hip wiggle. He is never used on complicated pass routes, as he doesn't have the skills to look the ball in over his head, but shows decent pass catching ability for dump-offs. His blocking technique needs complete refinement, as he gets too wild with his hands to sustain. If your team has a lightning quick back and you are looking for one with a little thunder to complement, Torain might fit that role, but he is not one to build your overall running game around.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/ryan-torain?id=1996

BTW, it's a little more than comical that anyone is criticizing a Denver Broncos Day 2 RB selection. They've never hit on RBs on Day 2.

19. The Following 15 Users High Fived Scarface For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
    Compares To: MIKE ANDERSON-ex-Baltimore...Like Anderson, Torain can get the tough yardage in between the tackles or in short-yardage situations. He is a physical runner with adequate speed, but lacks the burst or elusiveness to break free in the open field. He shows good vision attacking the holes and patience following his blockers, but is strictly a one-cut runner with marginal hip wiggle. He is never used on complicated pass routes, as he doesn't have the skills to look the ball in over his head, but shows decent pass catching ability for dump-offs. His blocking technique needs complete refinement, as he gets too wild with his hands to sustain. If your team has a lightning quick back and you are looking for one with a little thunder to complement, Torain might fit that role, but he is not one to build your overall running game around.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/ryan-torain?id=1996

BTW, it's a little more than comical that anyone is criticizing a Denver Broncos Day 2 RB selection. They've never hit on RBs on Day 2.
    Just because Denver has a core competency in selecting RB's doesn't mean we should all blindly start oogling and awing over any player they select. I'd love for Torian to turn into a productive running back. That doesn't change my opinion of him as a 5th-round prospect.

21. The Following User High Fived r8rh8r For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    mikey has TD syndrome thinking he can make HOF players out of 5-6 round choices..

Your correct we need a TRUE Professional GM in the worst way..

Enough of this we will build our coaching and scouting teams from within.. All under the tutelage of mikey.. while he has been a great coach or at least was one during the Superbowl years. I do not think anyone fears his teams any longer.. SAN certainly does not any longer..
    if we wanted a returning wr, then i think jackson was the guy. if we wanted a pure wr then sweed was the choice. royal may be a decent wr in the college level but the steve smith type players are extremely rare!

we could have easily traded up into the 3rd for a solid dt, lb ect. many teams were willing to trade up or down this year.

the 4th round we go cb when we still havnt picked a solid rb, lb or dt???

so....yeah im pretty pissed this year. its not like we didnt have the extra picks to go get the guy we needed.

we could of had ALL the players in my mock.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8r View Post
    Just because Denver has a core competency in selecting RB's doesn't mean we should all blindly start oogling and awing over any player they select. I'd love for Torian to turn into a productive running back. That doesn't change my opinion of him as a 5th-round prospect.
    I agree. I hope he's a diamond-in-the-rough, but Ahmad Galloway and Maurice Clarett weren't.

If Torain was the only reach in this draft, then no problem. But we've been reaching since Round Two.
    Grade: B-
    12 – RClady, OT, Boise State – excellent
    41 – ERoyal, WR, Virginia Tech – not a value?
    104 – KLichtensteiger, C, Bowling Green – excellent
    115 – JWilliams, CB, Kent State - not a value
    139 – RTorian, RB, Arizona State - not a value
    148 – C Powell DT, Virginia Tech – journeyman type?
    183 – S Larsen, ILB, Arizona – excellent value
    220 -- J Barrett, S, Arizona State – excellent value
    227 -- P Hills, FB, Arkansas – excellent value

Free Agent: love the Woodyard signing.

if we wanted a returning wr, then i think jackson was the guy. if we wanted a pure wr then sweed was the choice. royal may be a decent wr in the college level but the steve smith type players are extremely rare!

we could have easily traded up into the 3rd for a solid dt, lb ect. many teams were willing to trade up or down this year.

the 4th round we go cb when we still havnt picked a solid rb, lb or dt???

so....yeah im pretty pissed this year. its not like we didnt have the extra picks to go get the guy we needed.

we could of had ALL the players in my mock.
    I stopped doing mocks because the moron in charge never gets it right..

I really thought this year mikey would go after players we needed to plug the obvious holes, I was really concerned when we got Robertson that he would consider this as THE FIX at DLINE.. I guess I was right again..

he really sees himself as the mastermind as someone that can work miracles with half assed player and turn them into HOFers.

Once again mikey has exceeded himself in DAFTING..

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information