Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52

Thread: Ryan Torain RB ASU 5th Rd Pick

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Paymah? Last I heard, he was still with the Broncos and has been playing
    nickel. I don't know what should be expected of a third-round draft choice.

Also, I don't know what was wrong with Griese's selection when it was
    made (also third-round). He didn't bust as a rookie. He was actually selected
    for the Pro Bowl and had the highest QB rating in the league, while leading
    his team to an 11-5 record, before he went to hell. In fact, I personally
    heard Madden refer to him as the best of the young QBs during that time.
    I do not believe Griese can be counted among Shanny's busts, but rather
    a good selection at the time it was made.

Moreover, I don't know how one can fairly list Shanny's busts without
    also mentioning TD, MA, Portis, Droughns, Rod Smith, McCaffrey, Lepsis,
    D.J., Cutler, Marshall, Kuper, D-Will, Holland, Bly, Lynch, Young, Crowder,
    Dumervil, Ekuban, Thomas, Scheffler, etc., etc.

Yes, some of them are FAs, not drafted. Who cares? If they're good, then
    it was a good GM's move.

Shanny has made some bad moves, but he's made some good ones, too. I
    have a wait-and-see attitude, too. I just don't believe he is that lousy of a
    GM. Of course, the one he fired might have been . . .

-----

sorry the comments were about mikeys bombing on day one picks and teh hype he spun on them intially on draft days...

yes he made some great moves in FA and mostly in the later rounds for OLINE that frankly at the time no one else wanted.. Had it not been for Gibbs and his ZBS they would have never played in the NFL most definitely started.. Had they not gotten a name here in DEN..

Greasy was a great one man team QB smart as hell, decent arm but was and is a head case.. after the shoulder went. He was worthless in DEN and had to go.. he could not get along with his teammates cause he looked down on their intelligence and they knew it. For Gods sake mikey brought Sharpe back to try and rehabilitate greasys career in DEN.. Even the great motor mouth could not help greasy make friends with the team..

Paymah was touted as the best of the group of CB's yet until last year saw very little time on the field in game situations..

Merely mentions his name as he was the only one IMO worth a dam in the years draft.

And I repeat were initially talking about the BS hype that mikey always spun on or after draft day.. I was talking about all the hype that never IMO appeared for more than a flash in the pan..

Your know in your own heart that mikey screwed the pooch from 2000 to 04 in the draft..also left something to be desired in other #1 picks in other years as I notred above. A couple of those years nobody contributed more than a year or two at most before they were cut or traded off because they could not find happiness in DEN..

To me you build via the draft and p/u FA to plug the draft blunders and major injury issues..

Mike got to reliant on FA and it came back to haunt him in 2006-07.. When we hit rock bottom with a lack of quality talent past one deep..

Yes I repeat YES the were some good late round finds but you can't build your team of second day picks and CONSISTENTLY live to play through the playoffs.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Paymah was touted as the best of the group of CB's yet until last year saw very little time on the field in game situations..

Merely mentions his name as he was the only one IMO worth a dam in the years draft.

And I repeat were initially talking about the BS hype that mikey always spun on or after draft day.. I was talking about all the hype that never IMO appeared for more than a flash in the pan..
    Tim Couch was picked over Donovan McNabb. Don't you think they talked up Tim Counch following the draft? How about Ryan Leaf going second in the draft (with some talk about whether or not he should be picked over Manning), don't you think they talked him up after the draft?

That's what they do. They draft players, and then discuss 'why' they think they were worth drafting.

4. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Tim Couch was picked over Donovan McNabb. Don't you think they talked up Tim Counch following the draft? How about Ryan Leaf going second in the draft (with some talk about whether or not he should be picked over Manning), don't you think they talked him up after the draft?

That's what they do. They draft players, and then discuss 'why' they think they were worth drafting.

More power to them .. I could care less about what other talking heads spew about their players good bad or indifferent.

My point was I no longer believe most of what mikey says about his players after being burnt numerous times.. I have come to the conclusion it is spin and they are trying to sell seats that is all..

Used to think he was telling the truth, instead I now realize he is justifying his job..

yes it is the truth as he knows it.. I no longer believe for the most part he knows much about evaluating college talent.. his strong comments about nash though foster in particular have caused me to become doubtful in those areas..

I will add also this is not just taken out of context, that I still think he is one of the top 4-5 coaches going.. Just have very little faith in his personnel expertise..

6. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

sorry the comments were about mikeys bombing on day one picks and teh hype he spun on them intially on draft days...

yes he made some great moves in FA and mostly in the later rounds for OLINE that frankly at the time no one else wanted.. Had it not been for Gibbs and his ZBS they would have never played in the NFL most definitely started.. Had they not gotten a name here in DEN..
    I don't understand that comment. It doesn't matter if they didn't work out for any other team in the NFL, it only matter if they were successfully in Denver. It not about have player that everyone falls in love with. It about having a player that make your team successful in system that you run.
    Last edited by elsid13; 06-27-2008 at 04:20 PM.

8. The Following User High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Okay, I've heard all the naysayers. Torain is highly doubted among this group,
    it seems. Shanny is full of it when he sees first-round talent. There must be
    some reason he was picked in the 5th round, right?

Torain wouldn't be the first one to make fools out of critics. Here are a couple
    scouting reports in 1995, regarding one Terrell Davis:

"Hell be an OK back, but don't expect much from him."

"Tweener. No wiggle. Questionable toughness and durability in the past. Backup
    guy. Average blocker, average runner. Don't want him."

(Retrieved from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._18893107/pg_5 )

You know, funny thing, but TD's draft stock fell when he could not play the
    entire season in his senior year. (Sound familiar?) He had a bad hammy that
    year.

I'm filing all this away, hoping I can end up raking my friends Link and JR
    over the coals.

-----
    Torain's success in this system proves little to me, Top, as players like Reuben Droughns have proven by going to other systems and becoming average at best.

So when you attempt to rake me over the coals, be prepared to prove me that Torain is indeed Poorti$/Davis and not Droughns/Anderson/Gary. It will require more than just stats, that's one of the few things Droughns/Anderson/Gary have in common with Davis/Poorti$......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rice

pttman is going to be a stud. toreian in maybe 2 or 3 years. Mike Bell and Pittman can make this team hum.
    Go Broncs!

Dammit Bill.

12. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Torain's success in this system proves little to me, Top, as players like Reuben Droughns have proven by going to other systems and becoming average at best.

So when you attempt to rake me over the coals, be prepared to prove me that Torain is indeed Poorti$/Davis and not Droughns/Anderson/Gary. It will require more than just stats, that's one of the few things Droughns/Anderson/Gary have in common with Davis/Poorti$......
    This system is all I care about, my friend.

I don't care what they do anywhere else.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

More power to them .. I could care less about what other talking heads spew about their players good bad or indifferent.

My point was I no longer believe most of what mikey says about his players after being burnt numerous times.. I have come to the conclusion it is spin and they are trying to sell seats that is all..

Used to think he was telling the truth, instead I now realize he is justifying his job..

yes it is the truth as he knows it.. I no longer believe for the most part he knows much about evaluating college talent.. his strong comments about nash though foster in particular have caused me to become doubtful in those areas..

I will add also this is not just taken out of context, that I still think he is one of the top 4-5 coaches going.. Just have very little faith in his personnel expertise..
    My point was that a person has to be naive to be 'burnt' by a head coaches comments because they all do it.

I'm just constantly amazed when I see comments like above. You aren't the only one on the various Broncos' forums that state the 'been burnt' concept, I just don't get it.

This system is all I care about, my friend.

I don't care what they do anywhere else.

-----
    I agree. All that matters is whether or not a player performs in Denver.

Whether it is Ed Mcaffrey that was cut twice before becoming a go to guy in Denver, or it's an Olandis Gary that has success in Denver, but nowhere else.

All that matters is did they produce in the Denver 'system'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    My point was that a person has to be naive to be 'burnt' by a head coaches comments because they all do it.

I'm just constantly amazed when I see comments like above. You aren't the only one on the various Broncos' forums that state the 'been burnt' concept, I just don't get it.

Now all of those years I did not get Bronco knowledge direct, I had to read it in the local newspaper and the occasional one that I got in the mail from my son and brother.. SO my actual contacts were slim at best..

When the INTERNET happened and I was able to watch the video and read the press releases. Pardon me all to hell if I did not believe what he had to say.. Because frankly I had not local DEN experience to fall back on. Plus in those early years he was a hero for the super bowl victories..

Now I know that he is a great coach and IMHO a lousy college talent evaluator.. and those folks drafted will have to earn my praise mikey will no longer be believed on draft day..

He will now be believed for his glowing commentary AFTER it happens that is IF it happens..

Now I do not, I believe in the time will tell type comments..

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    If we needed a RB, we should have taken one in the 2nd or 1st. Or if not, there was Cory Boyd there as late as the 7th...not to mention Goff or Moore in the 5th.
    Boyd done for 2008: Buccaneers rookie RB Cory Boyd was lost for the season when the team waived/injured him. He cleared waivers and has since rejoined the club, but won't play in 2008.
    (Updated 07/29/2008).

The annual Symposium is supposed to be the place for the 252 rookies who were drafted in April to learn how to conduct themselves as professionals. But yesterday it was the setting for a fight between the Buccaneers' first-round draft pick Aqib Talib, and seventh-round draft pick Cory Boyd.

The fight apparently broke out during a session on personal finances Wednesday, but the two players had been jawing at each other throughout the Symposium, which began on Sunday.

Moore was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fourth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. On August 30, he was waived by the team during final cuts. The Buccaneers re-signed him to the practice squad two days later on September 1.

Rookie LB Jonathan Goff suffered a back injury in tonight's game against the Lions.

Goff, the team's fifth-round pick in April, suffered a fractured transverse process in the second quarter of tonight's game against the Lions. That's (potentially) a bad injury. It was exactly what former Giants DE Adrian Awasom suffered last year against the Packers when he collided with OL Tony Palmer on a kickoff. Awasom was out for the season after only two games.

The transverse process is a bone that juts off the vertebrae and links the spine to muscle.

More to come on this. I don't want to guess that Goff's season is already over, but that might be the case. We'll see.

This was a very interesting thread. I just skimmed through it,

Good thing we didn't draft Boyd, Moore or Goff instead of Torain.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information