Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scheffler trade sets Broncos' rebuild in high gear for this week's draft

Default Scheffler trade sets Broncos' rebuild in high gear for this week's draft

Scheffler trade sets Broncos' rebuild in high gear for this week's draft
    The last of the trio who once appeared to be the team's foundation is sent to Detroit

By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 04/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
    UPDATED: 04/20/2010 02:57:11 AM MDT

Tony Scheffler was benched last season when his complaints about his limited use got to coach Josh McDaniels. (John Leyba, Post file photo )
    Go back 16 months.

Glance at what the Broncos looked like just over 16 months ago. On Dec. 7, 2008, the Broncos had defeated Kansas City to boost their record to 8-5 and their AFC West lead to three games with three games to go, one victory from clinching a playoff berth.

The team was coached by Mike Shanahan and largely built around three young stars — quarterback Jay Cutler, receiver Brandon Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler.

Cutler completed 32-of-40 passes against the Chiefs for 286 yards and two scores. His top target was Marshall, who had 11 catches and two touchdowns. Scheffler had five catches for 61 yards.

Could anyone have imagined that a bit more than 16 months later, things would be so different?

The Broncos lost their final three games and missed the playoffs for a third consecutive year. Shanahan was fired. Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler reacted to Shanahan's firing by expressing their desire to be traded. With Monday's trade of Scheffler, all have gotten their way.

"I think something had to be done, but the way it worked out for all of us, I think we're all excited," Scheffler said Monday.

Before a team can rebuild, it must destruct, and the dismantling phase was completed Monday when Scheffler was dealt, along with a seventh-round draft pick, to the Detroit Lions in a three-team deal. The Broncos received a fifth-round draft pick from the Philadelphia Eagles, who also nabbed outside linebacker Ernie Sims from Detroit.

Sims was the No. 9 pick in the 2006 draft class for Detroit. Cutler was the No. 11 pick. He's long gone from Denver. Scheffler was taken in the second round, Marshall in the fourth.

While the Broncos did well to get two second-round draft picks for Marshall, they got little in return for Scheffler, who led all NFL tight ends the past four seasons with a 13.7 yards per catch.

Scheffler became increasingly disenchanted with his limited use in 2009.

His complaints to teammates got back to coach Josh McDaniels, who benched Scheffler from the final game of the season, then dumped him for little more than the proverbial bag of balls.
    "It's unfortunate the way it ended," Scheffler said. "But it's a business, and I'm excited about playing for the Lions."

At least the Broncos took the high road when it came to granting the trade wishes of their disgruntled stars. Cutler was dealt to the Chicago Bears, the team he rooted for while growing up in Indiana. Marshall was traded last week to Miami, which is down the road from his hometown in Orlando.

And now Scheffler will go home again. He grew up in Chelsea, Mich., an hour's drive from Detroit.

"Restore the Roar!" Scheffler said when he answered the phone after the trade, referring to the Lions' slogan since Jim Schwartz was hired as head coach to rebuild the 0-16 franchise before the 2009 season. "It's going to be surreal walking into that locker room and putting on those clothes for the first time."

He'll pinch himself soon enough. The Lions are having an organized training activity today, and they've asked Scheffler to attend.

That Scheffler wound up in Detroit is a bit surprising considering the Lions last year used a first-round pick, and $9.4 million in financial guarantees, on tight end Brandon Pettigrew. However, Pettigrew suffered a season-ending torn anterior cruciate ligament on his left knee in Game 11 against Green Bay.

Scheffler adds protection in case Pettigrew takes awhile to rebound, and he will play on the affordable $1.176 million salary he was tendered by the Broncos as a restricted free agent last month.

Expect the Lions' offense to employ plenty of two tight-end sets this season.

The three-team trade went through after Scheffler talked to Schwartz by phone and agreed not to seek a new contract. Scheffler will become an unrestricted free agent after next season if the league reaches a new collective bargaining agreement.

Until then, Scheffler joins a Lions offense led by quarterback Matthew Stafford, the No. 1 pick in the 2009 draft who had a 422-yard, five-touchdown game against Cleveland mixed with several rough outings as a rookie.

"Just hearing Jay (Cutler) talk about him — their personalities are different, but I think they're very similar about how they play on the field," Scheffler said. "I'm looking forward to playing with a young quarterback who has an arm like that."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Another gem from Klis.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Cutler, Marshall and Sheffler each traded to their hometown teams. anybody know where Doom grew up?

4. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    Cutler, Marshall and Sheffler each traded to their hometown teams. anybody know where Doom grew up?
    Miami.

6. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Scheffler trade sets Broncos' rebuild in high gear for this week's draft
    The last of the trio who once appeared to be the team's foundation is sent to Detroit

By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 04/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
    UPDATED: 04/20/2010 02:57:11 AM MDT

Tony Scheffler was benched last season when his complaints about his limited use got to coach Josh McDaniels. (John Leyba, Post file photo )
    Go back 16 months.

Glance at what the Broncos looked like just over 16 months ago. On Dec. 7, 2008, the Broncos had defeated Kansas City to boost their record to 8-5 and their AFC West lead to three games with three games to go, one victory from clinching a playoff berth.

The team was coached by Mike Shanahan and largely built around three young stars — quarterback Jay Cutler, receiver Brandon Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler.

Cutler completed 32-of-40 passes against the Chiefs for 286 yards and two scores. His top target was Marshall, who had 11 catches and two touchdowns. Scheffler had five catches for 61 yards.

Could anyone have imagined that a bit more than 16 months later, things would be so different?

The Broncos lost their final three games and missed the playoffs for a third consecutive year. Shanahan was fired. Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler reacted to Shanahan's firing by expressing their desire to be traded. With Monday's trade of Scheffler, all have gotten their way.

"I think something had to be done, but the way it worked out for all of us, I think we're all excited," Scheffler said Monday.

Before a team can rebuild, it must destruct, and the dismantling phase was completed Monday when Scheffler was dealt, along with a seventh-round draft pick, to the Detroit Lions in a three-team deal. The Broncos received a fifth-round draft pick from the Philadelphia Eagles, who also nabbed outside linebacker Ernie Sims from Detroit.

Sims was the No. 9 pick in the 2006 draft class for Detroit. Cutler was the No. 11 pick. He's long gone from Denver. Scheffler was taken in the second round, Marshall in the fourth.

While the Broncos did well to get two second-round draft picks for Marshall, they got little in return for Scheffler, who led all NFL tight ends the past four seasons with a 13.7 yards per catch.

Scheffler became increasingly disenchanted with his limited use in 2009.

His complaints to teammates got back to coach Josh McDaniels, who benched Scheffler from the final game of the season, then dumped him for little more than the proverbial bag of balls.
    "It's unfortunate the way it ended," Scheffler said. "But it's a business, and I'm excited about playing for the Lions."

At least the Broncos took the high road when it came to granting the trade wishes of their disgruntled stars. Cutler was dealt to the Chicago Bears, the team he rooted for while growing up in Indiana. Marshall was traded last week to Miami, which is down the road from his hometown in Orlando.

And now Scheffler will go home again. He grew up in Chelsea, Mich., an hour's drive from Detroit.

"Restore the Roar!" Scheffler said when he answered the phone after the trade, referring to the Lions' slogan since Jim Schwartz was hired as head coach to rebuild the 0-16 franchise before the 2009 season. "It's going to be surreal walking into that locker room and putting on those clothes for the first time."

He'll pinch himself soon enough. The Lions are having an organized training activity today, and they've asked Scheffler to attend.

That Scheffler wound up in Detroit is a bit surprising considering the Lions last year used a first-round pick, and $9.4 million in financial guarantees, on tight end Brandon Pettigrew. However, Pettigrew suffered a season-ending torn anterior cruciate ligament on his left knee in Game 11 against Green Bay.

Scheffler adds protection in case Pettigrew takes awhile to rebound, and he will play on the affordable $1.176 million salary he was tendered by the Broncos as a restricted free agent last month.

Expect the Lions' offense to employ plenty of two tight-end sets this season.

The three-team trade went through after Scheffler talked to Schwartz by phone and agreed not to seek a new contract. Scheffler will become an unrestricted free agent after next season if the league reaches a new collective bargaining agreement.

Until then, Scheffler joins a Lions offense led by quarterback Matthew Stafford, the No. 1 pick in the 2009 draft who had a 422-yard, five-touchdown game against Cleveland mixed with several rough outings as a rookie.

"Just hearing Jay (Cutler) talk about him — their personalities are different, but I think they're very similar about how they play on the field," Scheffler said. "I'm looking forward to playing with a young quarterback who has an arm like that."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Bosco.. Complaints about limited use is different then saying he wished the season to be over..
    Someone who wants to be used more - is not exactly a quitter...

Thanks for posting Jr.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Bosco.. Complaints about limited use is different then saying he wished the season to be over..
    Someone who wants to be used more - is not exactly a quitter...

Thanks for posting Jr.
    It was reported that players overheard him saying that Nev despite his frustrations over limited use.

9. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Before a team can rebuild, it must destruct, and the dismantling phase was completed Monday when Scheffler was dealt

it's funny. . . turf posts a thread saying that mcD is dismantling the broncos, and the pom-pom waving freaks come out of the woodwork to crucify him for the audacity of saying such things about our coach-- klis uses the exact same term, and apparently no one bats an eyelash. . .

oh wait, that's because he's entirely right, and you DO have to dismantle a team to some extent before you can rebuild it. . .

coupla reactionary chumps around here owe toad an apology. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    it's funny. . . turf posts a thread saying that mcD is dismantling the broncos, and the pom-pom waving freaks come out of the woodwork to crucify him for the audacity of saying such things about our coach-- klis uses the exact same term, and apparently no one bats an eyelash. . .

oh wait, that's because he's entirely right, and you DO have to dismantle a team to some extent before you can rebuild it. . .

I was confused, as well. This suggests we are rebuilding, and I was told that we are NOT rebuilding, we are 'reloading'...... (by removing all the bullets )
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Let me get this straight, so that I'm not confused. People are now trying to say that these players were dealt to their 'hometowns' because McD is a nice guy, or that its just coincidence.

Because.. my understanding is that we traded Cutler to Chicago specifically to get Orton over the other QBs from teams that offered better picks. If trading them to their hometowns is the 'truth' that would make McD pretty foolish and yet another lie. So those saying McD is a 'nice guy' by trading Cutler to Chicago was to let him go to his home town, what is it?

Same with Marshall. Wasn't it reported that Miami is the team that offered up the most picks? Coincidence, or did McD somehow talk Miami into offering up more picks so that Marshall could go to FLorida?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

The 2008 team was built around Sheffler? What now?

16. The Following User High Fived damajackal For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Let me get this straight, so that I'm not confused. People are now trying to say that these players were dealt to their 'hometowns' because McD is a nice guy, or that its just coincidence.

Because.. my understanding is that we traded Cutler to Chicago specifically to get Orton over the other QBs from teams that offered better picks. If trading them to their hometowns is the 'truth' that would make McD pretty foolish and yet another lie. So those saying McD is a 'nice guy' by trading Cutler to Chicago was to let him go to his home town, what is it?

Same with Marshall. Wasn't it reported that Miami is the team that offered up the most picks? Coincidence, or did McD somehow talk Miami into offering up more picks so that Marshall could go to FLorida?
    yea, that's a bunch of bullshit. . . McD traded those guys to the teams that made the best (only?) offers-- exactly what the coach is supposed to do. . . if he took less to send any of them to a preferred destination, then he's a sap who doesn't even follow his own "put the team above the individual" mantra-- and i don't buy that. . .

come on, we're supposed to believe he sent chef to the freakin' lions as a FAVOR? my ass! naturally the guy is going to say he's happy to be there (at least initially-- even seymour said he was "happy" to go to oakland, after a week of silent despair), and it may be that it does work for him to be back home, but this trade will most likely pretty much finish off his career. . . detroit is one of those places where careers go to die-- sending anyone there is the opposite of a favor, and i'm sure it put a big smile on mcD's face to exile chef there. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I was confused, as well. This suggests we are rebuilding, and I was told that we are NOT rebuilding, we are 'reloading'...... (by removing all the bullets )
    let's see. . .

2008 defensive scheme?

gone. . .

2008 defensive coaching staff?

gone. . .

2008 defensive personnel?

mostly gone. . .

2009 defensive coordinator?

gone. . .

2008 offensive scheme?

gone. . .

zone blocking scheme?

gone. . .

2008 offensive coaching staff?

gone. . .

2008 starting QB, OC, OLG, #1 WR, #2/receiving TE, and entire RB corps?

gone. . .

****'s sake. . . if that's not rebuilding, then there IS no such thing! about the only way he could "rebuild" any more thoroughly is if he changed the team name, colors and uniforms. . .

people get defensive about it because they automatically consider "rebuilding" a dirty word. . . which i find laughable, because most of the people objecting to the term are the same ones who so vehemently support everything mcD is doing-- they're the ones who wanted shanahan's way of doing things purged, but they get pissy when someone points out that it's what mcD is doing. . .
    - John Elway

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Now, I don't actually have first hand observation of the world wide weather. However, I have it on internet authority that it is not cold enough for hell to have frozen over. Until then it won't happen.
    Last edited by Dean; 04-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

22. The Following 5 Users High Fived Dean For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    It was reported that players overheard him saying that Nev despite his frustrations over limited use.
    By Josina Anderson.. There is absolutely no quote or proof he said bubkis except according Anderson according to an unnamed or quoted broncos insider that a player or maybe a coach overheard him and ratted him to McD.
    If it so easy to belive this fine piece of Anderson journalism it should also be as easy to believe it full of wholes..

but whatever. Schef is a cancer.. good riddance. F Schef.. Good luck in Motown you pos.

24. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    By Josina Anderson.. There is absolutely no quote or proof he said bubkis except according Anderson according to an unnamed or quoted broncos insider that a player or maybe a coach overheard him and ratted him to McD.
    If it so easy to belive this fine piece of Anderson journalism it should also be as easy to believe it full of wholes..

but whatever. Schef is a cancer.. good riddance. F Schef.. Good luck in Motown you pos.
    There's no quote of him denying it either Nev. But your last sentence is spot on and now you get it. Atta boy!

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information