Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: NTL & Thnikka's official Barbecue Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

the weber smoker is the top rated inexpensive vetical smoker.you may be looking at the brinkman, mixed reviews se amazon reviews for details.
    I use a weber kettle for hot smoke aplications.
    as most of you must now realize, anything needing more than a 1 hour hot smoke, i braise instead.
    and then finish with a hot smoke! same excellent smoke flavor, tenderness and flavor acheived thru a much more controlled , and moist braising segment, with alot less fuss and alot less charcoal consumption.
    slow smoking is not cheap, and it requires alot of patience as well as an extended trial and error period to learn the nuances of your aparatus.
    Last edited by Chef Zambini; 06-21-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Smoked salmon was not tough at all.And from all my research BRINES used on fish are refrigerated for several hours (6+).
    the brine is a form of curing. salmon has a rich oil content, combining that reality with the fact that you did NOT use an acid, but instead a stock, also kept your salmon from becoming tough. if you employ the same methos with halibut, you will end up with fish jerkey.
    take note:
    most smoked fish is already a very oily protein to begin with, sable, cod, salmon.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    the brine is a form of curing. salmon has a rich oil content, combining that reality with the fact that you did NOT use an acid, but instead a stock, also kept your salmon from becoming tough. if you employ the same methos with halibut, you will end up with fish jerkey.
    take note:
    most smoked fish is already a very oily protein to begin with, sable, cod, salmon.
    Hmm. since the recipe that i took the brine from called for 6-12 hours of smoking and 8 hours min of brining. All my workers brine over night with they "secret recipes". I do not plan to smoke my halibut, it goes on a plank into BBQ or oven. All my smoking recipes call for brining over night and smoke times varies with the smoker.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Difference between brines and marinades:

A brine uses a salt/water solution to force moisture into the meat by means of osmosis. In other words the brine works it's way into the meat until the level of salt is nearly equal to the brine. Seasonings and flavorings can be added to the brine also.

A marinade is a mixture of seasonings or liquids that will flavor the meat. There is mostly outer layer penetration. Acids(vinegar,lactic,citric) can help in the softening of the meat fibers by breaking down connective tissues.

the weber smoker is the top rated inexpensive vetical smoker.you may be looking at the brinkman, mixed reviews se amazon reviews for details.
    I use a weber kettle for hot smoke aplications.
    as most of you must now realize, anything needing more than a 1 hour hot smoke, i braise instead.
    and then finish with a hot smoke! same excellent smoke flavor, tenderness and flavor acheived thru a much more controlled , and moist braising segment, with alot less fuss and alot less charcoal consumption.
    slow smoking is not cheap, and it requires alot of patience as well as an extended trial and error period to learn the nuances of your aparatus.
    Looks like it's made by master forge. It also looks like I'd need to change the seal around the door and an adjustable vent to get it to hold temp.

I actually don't use charcoal, just straight wood fire and a diffusion plate.

6. The Following User High Fived ShooterJM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterJM View Post
    Looks like it's made by master forge. It also looks like I'd need to change the seal around the door and an adjustable vent to get it to hold temp.

I actually don't use charcoal, just straight wood fire and a diffusion plate.
    that one is just like the brinkmann... if you're willing to do some mods and make a lid seal (my bro used a rope) then it will be just fine. If you want to get a list of some great mods that work great for it go to the BBQBrethren site. I would recommend that site for anyone that loves bbq, good group of people and a ton of knowledge on that site. There's everyone from beginners to National BBQ champs on that forum, Adam Richmond from Man vs Food used to be a member, I'm not sure if he still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

8. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    that one is just like the brinkmann... if you're willing to do some mods and make a lid seal (my bro used a rope) then it will be just fine. If you want to get a list of some great mods that work great for it go to the BBQBrethren site. I would recommend that site for anyone that loves bbq, good group of people and a ton of knowledge on that site. There's everyone from beginners to National BBQ champs on that forum, Adam Richmond from Man vs Food used to be a member, I'm not sure if he still is.
    Thanks for the link! I'll probably end up picking one up. If I can find some land to hunt hogs on down in texas I'll just need to build a much much larger smoker anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterJM View Post
    Thanks for the link! I'll probably end up picking one up. If I can find some land to hunt hogs on down in texas I'll just need to build a much much larger smoker anyway.
    just build a UDS for smoking pigs (tons of instructions for this on that site). My bro actually built a double for doing that, two big drums welded together, big and ugly!

funny UDS here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r2-bq.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	1474  
    Last edited by weazel; 06-22-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    just build a UDS for smoking pigs (tons of instructions for this on that site). My bro actually built a double for doing that, two big drums welded together, big and ugly!

funny UDS here...
    bitchin' looks like R2/ D2 !

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

I just watched a couple of episodes of BBQ pittmaster.
    Honestly, I could cpok a third of these guys under a table!
    i just watched guys who are previous winners of regional events, FAIL to recognize a pork belly and not understand the most basic principles of cooking large items like a whole turkey and a fresh ham, putting peach preserves on BEEF ribs?
    seriouisly!
    I need to enter some contests and blow the doors off these backwoods yokels !

and not understand the most basic principles of cooking large items like a whole turkey and a fresh ham...
    Rule number 1: Make sure you have ample bourbon and beer on hand.

15. The Following User High Fived ShooterJM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

happy FOURTH everyone ! great day for grilling, have a wonderful holiday !

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

easy little BBQ side.......

BBQ Romaine lettuce
    Remove outer most leafs
    cut in half (keeping the bottom part on)
    Place cut side down and rub oil on outside and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper
    Flip over and repeat
    Cooks in matter of minutes so cook when ready to eat
    Place on direct heat until some browning and wilting occurs, rotate (will sit on BBQ like a 3 sided pyramid so rotate twice).
    Pull off and cut of end and cut into smaller pieces and serve.

You can make full on salads out of this or eat plain. I eat it plain reminds me of BBQed asparagus except multiuse.

18. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    easy little BBQ side.......

BBQ Romaine lettuce
    Remove outer most leafs
    cut in half (keeping the bottom part on)
    Place cut side down and rub oil on outside and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper
    Flip over and repeat
    Cooks in matter of minutes so cook when ready to eat
    Place on direct heat until some browning and wilting occurs, rotate (will sit on BBQ like a 3 sided pyramid so rotate twice).
    Pull off and cut of end and cut into smaller pieces and serve.

You can make full on salads out of this or eat plain. I eat it plain reminds me of BBQed asparagus except multiuse.
    That sounds so good right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

grilled romain caesar, becoming very popular in restaurants.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information