Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: NTL & Thnikka's official Barbecue Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Thats a nice looking grill. Do they give you options of what kind of wood pellets you can use to smoke with?
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

2. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Lonnie Paxton

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Thats a nice looking grill. Do they give you options of what kind of wood pellets you can use to smoke with?
    I always use the Treager pellets, I think you can get other brands but I just stuck with this brand

http://www.doubledbbq.com/store.aspx...id=136&panel=1
    I hate baseball!

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Broncogator View Post
    I always use the Treager pellets, I think you can get other brands but I just stuck with this brand

http://www.doubledbbq.com/store.aspx...id=136&panel=1
    Nice,

That link answered my question. I may have to consider that for my next grill once I wear this one out.

5. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

i didn't realize this thread was alive when i asked my chimney starter question in WOYM...

i'm sorry, i can't take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Allright. I'm in BBQ heaven.

Out of 48 hours between Friday night and Sunday night, I was cooking (or at least my cooker was cooking) for 30 hours. I've got enough meat smoked to feed an army, but it was a ton of fun.

I had to put my new smoker/grill through its low and slow paces. It performed wonderfully. Held 230-240 for 16 hours for my butt, and held 220 for around 12 hours for my brisket on Sunday. The temp didn't vary more than 10 degrees one way or the other on either cook.

Started by putting on a Boston Butt on Friday night about 9:00. Cooked for a little over 16 hours, and took it off about 1:30pm Saturday just in time for the draft. Some awesome pulled pork sandwiches.

Then Saturday night, I prepared a brisket to smoke on Sunday. Got up at 6:00am, and had the smoker ready by 7:00. Cooked the brisket for 9 hours. Took it off, cut off the "point" (fatty/dense top portion), and put the point back on for another 4 hours for some "burnt ends". Had the brisket "flat" for dinner. It was awesome.

If you've never had burnt ends then you are missing out. I had a few bites as I was chopping it up before going to bed last night. My freezer will be full of some good 'Q now, but I'm ready to cook again! It was a fun weekend.

8. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncogator View Post
    I bought a wood pellet grill about 7 years ago and I love it. It's great for smoking a pork shoulder or brisket you just set the temp and let it go. The only bad part was I had to order the wood pellets on line but I found a local supplier last year.

http://www.traegergrills.com/grills/texas.cfm
    that grill looks awesome, but almost too easy lol. i'm not having fun unless i'm moving things around and reorganizing my coals, burning my hands, and frying my eyes with smoke haha.
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

grilled up some burgers, brats, and salmon last night.

double cheeseburger with 4 slices of pepper jack, bacon, and barbeque sauce!

never done salmon before, i wrapped it up in tin foil after pretty much covering it with black pepper and a little salt. concentrated my coals on one side of my grill and stuck the salmon packet on the other side, turned it a quarter turn every time i checked the burgers and brats. gave it a few minutes directly over the fire after we pulled all the other meat, opened up the foil, and it was done really well, it turned out great.

any tips on doing fish directly over the fire so i can smoke it? i pictured myself trying, having it fall apart and fall into the coals, so i stuck with the foil idea...

my plan was to leave the fish on foil to keep it together, but not close the foil so that the fish smokes. maybe finish it off directly on the grill to get some nice grill marks... will this work? any other methods?

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    grilled up some burgers, brats, and salmon last night.

double cheeseburger with 4 slices of pepper jack, bacon, and barbeque sauce!

never done salmon before, i wrapped it up in tin foil after pretty much covering it with black pepper and a little salt. concentrated my coals on one side of my grill and stuck the salmon packet on the other side, turned it a quarter turn every time i checked the burgers and brats. gave it a few minutes directly over the fire after we pulled all the other meat, opened up the foil, and it was done really well, it turned out great.

any tips on doing fish directly over the fire so i can smoke it? i pictured myself trying, having it fall apart and fall into the coals, so i stuck with the foil idea...

my plan was to leave the fish on foil to keep it together, but not close the foil so that the fish smokes. maybe finish it off directly on the grill to get some nice grill marks... will this work? any other methods?
    I wouldn't do a direct heat. What kind of grill are you using? When I first started smoking, I would put a foil basting pan in the center of the grill where the coals go, and surround it with coals. Then put soaked wood chips on the coals to do the smoking. I wouldn't worry about grillmarks when smoking. That being said, I would put the salmon on a sheet of aluminum foil probably sprayed with pam or something like that. And let it smoke. I would think that 4-6 hours at 200 to 250 degrees should do the trick.

13. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Actually "smoking" salmon would require a few hours at a low temperature. I've never actaully "smoked" fish of any kind, but I'm guessing that you would need to keep the temp down around 180 and have a lot of smoke to do it right.

I have grilled salmon a bunch, both the fillets and steaks. For grilling I prefer the steaks because they hold together better, but either is fine.

I season the fish either with a rub of some sort, or some lemon pepper and garlic salt, and then just put it directly over the coals for just a few minutes on each side. I use a cast iron grill which when seasoned properly is as close to non-stick as you can get without being teflon.

You could spray some pam or some other cooking spray on the grid before putting it on the fire if you're worried about it sticking. On the fillets I usually just cook them skin side down without turning them over, but like I said, I much prefer doing the salmon steaks.

You're method of using the foil would work well also, and you can get some smoky flavor into the fish if you have some chips on the fire, and I think salmon is great on the grill like that.

Sounds like you had a good meal there!

yeah, i guess i meant 'grilling with smoke' more than actual low heat, long cook time smoking. somewhere between grilling and smoking, if there is such a place!

i'll try a few things (salmon filet 5 bucks, i can afford to do it a few times) in the next couple weeks and see what works! thanks guys.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    yeah, i guess i meant 'grilling with smoke' more than actual low heat, long cook time smoking. somewhere between grilling and smoking, if there is such a place!

i'll try a few things (salmon filet 5 bucks, i can afford to do it a few times) in the next couple weeks and see what works! thanks guys.
    Thought about another idea for you the other day, and I don't know why I didn't post it before.

Plank it!

You can find cedar (or other wood) planks at most barbecue shops, and sometimes in the grilling area at other stores although I've never seen any at Wal-Mart.

Take the Plank, and soak it in water for a couple of hours. Place the fish on the plank, and then cook it directly over the coals (or God-forbid gas burner).

Depending on the amount of heat you can produce this should be a pretty quick cook (10 minutes or so), but the plank will give a great smoky flavor directly to the fish.

Hardest part of the cook is finding the planks themselves, but if you find them, they are pretty cheap and you can re-use them 2 or 3 times.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Head to the lumberyard. At least, that's what Alton Brown recommends.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    Head to the lumberyard. At least, that's what Alton Brown recommends.
    That would probably work as long as you didn't get any treated wood. Wouldn't want that stuff in my food.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    That would probably work as long as you didn't get any treated wood. Wouldn't want that stuff in my food.

Exactly. I haven't actually tried this, but he said on one episode that the ready-to-use planks are a waste of money. You aren't buying any 'special' wood. Just head down to the lumbaryard and buy untreated boards and sand them down.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Is this where we get tips on throwing mixers from Mr. Gay Indiana?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information