Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Scheffler Traded

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Scheffler Traded

Lions acquired TE Tony Scheffler and a 2010 seventh-round pick from the Broncos in a three-team trade that also sent LB Ernie Sims to the Eagles in exchange for a 2010 fifth-round pick.

Denver gets the fifth-rounder. Scheffler, strictly a pass-catching tight end, will play behind Brandon Pettigrew once Detroit's starter returns from his torn ACL. Scheffler adds a vertical threat to Matthew Stafford's arsenal, taking more pressure off Calvin Johnson. Pettigrew and Scheffler figure to cancel each other out in terms of 2010 fantasy value. Though injury prone, Sims gives the Birds a physical presence on the weak side. Both Scheffler and Sims are in contract years and Denver didn't acquire a premium pick. This is a low-risk deal all around, with potentially high rewards for Philly and Detroit. Apr. 19 - 11:43 am et
    Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Default Scheffler Traded

Three-way trade sends Tony Scheffler to Detroit, Ernie Sims to Philly

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 19, 2010 11:41 AM ET
    An offseason full of big-name trades has added another significant deal to the mix.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports on a three-way trade between the Eagles, Broncos, and Lions. Linebacker Ernie Sims will land in Philadelphia, while tight end Tony Scheffler goes to the Lions.

PFT's Mike Florio reports that the Broncos will get a fifth-round pick from the Eagles. Denver will send a seventh-round pick to the Lions.

It's not a great deal for the Broncos, who wanted a third-round pick for their promising young tight end. Instead, they essentially dumped Scheffler to move up two rounds on the draft's third day.

The move also shows how down the Lions were on Sims' long-term prospects.

I know everyone already knows.......but I didnt see a thread.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

3. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

wow more brilliance from mcdoogie... scheffler and our 7th for a 5th round pick

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived arapaho2 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sorry, I gave at the office.

Wow. I thought he was worth a little more than that...

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived sanluis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by sanluis View Post
    By potential yes. But injuries and quitting on the team not really when you break it all down.

9. The Following 10 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by sanluis View Post
    Not really - no team was turning flips to get him

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sorry, I gave at the office.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Not really - no team was turning flips to get him
    He always played well against my Chargers. So I am glad to see him get the heck out of the division.

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    wow more brilliance from mcdoogie... scheffler and our 7th for a 5th round pick
    Yeah, demand was so high for a no-block, all-cry tight end that the best the team could do was a pick swap, and that only happened after said all-cry tight end promised he wouldn't look for a new contract:

Tony Scheffler is pumped about joining the Lions, but he had to tell coach Jim Schwartz he would not seek a new contract before Detroit agreed to acquire him.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ct-with-lions/

With the price tag ending up so low, how is it that Shanahan didn't step up and make the move if Scheffler is such a stud?

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit View Post
    Yeah, demand was so high for a no-block, all-cry tight end that the best the team could do was a pick swap, and that only happened after said all-cry tight end promised he wouldn't look for a new contract:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ct-with-lions/

With the price tag ending up so low, how is it that Shanahan didn't step up and make the move if Scheffler is such a stud?
    yeah cause the nfl has no need for pass catching TEs with limted blocking...like tony gonzalos, gates

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived arapaho2 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

yeah cause the nfl has no need for pass catching TEs with limted blocking...like tony gonzalos, gates
    To put Scheffler in even the same paragraph as those guys, nonetheless he same sentence, is just retarded.

17. The Following 8 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    To put Scheffler in even the same paragraph as those guys, nonetheless he same sentence, is just retarded.

who said he was?...the point everyone keeps making is tony wasnt a great blocker...guess what ....most teams have one Te that main duty is to catch passes , create missmatches...beat a LBr one on one..like a TG...gates

never said tony was the same as those guys did i...any one who reads that into it is retarded

i mean most people are putting to much emphesis on him blocking...he wasnt a blocker in college...he wasnt drafted to block...he was drafted to catch balls lined up against a lbr... he did that very well

McDaniels didn't trade a future hall of fame tight end. He traded a backup tight end to a team that's going to use him as a backup tight end. In the meantime, the Broncos can just pick any two month old infant out of the stands to get an upgrade over Scheffler's blocking.

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived Tempus Fugit For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

You're kidding right? You're comparing Scheffler to a hall of famer? That's right because Scheffler has proven he's on the same level as those guys.......
    "I'm petrified of nipple chafing"-Andy Bernard

22. The Following 4 Users High Fived ikillz0mbies For This Post:

Easy to be confused when you have not a clue in the scheme we are running.

We run a modified spread offense that uses the TE to be the edge setting blocker for running plays and to PAss protect in the passing game.

Have a deep threat at TE is not required or desired in this Offense . They have to be able to block first and for most and catch as a third option.

If they can indeed BLOCK play TEAM ball and catch then he would be great but since TS never saw a defender he like to block he was as worthless in DEN as teats on a boar.

Blocking is a state of mind and if your only wanting to catch passes then your not going to play much in DEN, he did not have the size or SPEED to be a WR, that does virtually no LOS blocking.

GOT it?

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Easy to be confused when you have not a clue in the scheme we are running.

We run a modified spread offense that uses the TE to be the edge setting blocker for running plays and to PAss protect in the passing game.

Have a deep threat at TE is not required or desired in this Offense . They have to be able to block first and for most and catch as a third option.

If they can indeed BLOCK play TEAM ball and catch then he would be great but since TS never saw a defender he like to block he was as worthless in DEN as teats on a boar.

Blocking is a state of mind and if your only wanting to catch passes then your not going to play much in DEN, he did not have the size or SPEED to be a WR, that does virtually no LOS blocking.

GOT it?
    After a season with a new head coach, how come some people fail to realize that with a new coach comes new schemes. With new schemes, you need to get rid of players who don't fit them and bring in players who do. It's pretty simple.

As JR stated and outlined, Scheffler did not fit the mold of a tight end that McDaniels was looking for. I'm not saying Scheffler is a horrible tight end. He is a good pass catching, deep threat target that can cause major mismatches for defense. But why keep him on the team if this system that McDaniels is implementing doesn't have a need for him?

Even in Detroit, he's not going to be a 1st string tight end. He's going to be behind Brandon Pettigrew who I think is a more complete tight end. For those who think he is a great tight end have to re-evaluate him again.
    "I'm petrified of nipple chafing"-Andy Bernard

26. The Following 4 Users High Fived ikillz0mbies For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information