Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: No Robertson for Denver

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    I agree with the last statement, but I stand with anyone playing is an upgrade over an injury plauged, drama queen Walker. How does his high cap number, never playing, always complaining ass help the Broncos.

Hint, it doesn't that's why he was cut.

We'll see if Walker ever amounts to anything, and I'm not counting on Colbert being anything special, but at least he'll play. Maybe a better question is whether Colbert is an upgrade over Glenn Martinez because that is who he is replacing.
    I under stand the cut... I 100% support it... but the statement made was that Colbert is an upgrade over Walker... when truely it is not. It is a huge down grade.

2. The Following User High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSHOGG30 View Post
    So why not sign, Drew Carter over Keary Colbert? Or Devry Henderson? Both guys are super cheap to sign... actually Henderson signed for less, and both are at least threats on the field. Henderson might drop more than a few, but he sure does make it up with the big play every now and then.
    Who's to say they didn't try and sign them?

We don't know who they went after, and neither does all the rumor sources.

I don't know about Carter, but Henderson signed with New Orleans. Considering he knows what he's getting there, and the oppurtunities, it would have taken a little more to get him to come to Denver.

Henderson is hardly a threat on the field. He's been a bust his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post

I don't know about Carter, but Henderson signed with New Orleans. Considering he knows what he's getting there, and the oppurtunities, it would have taken a little more to get him to come to Denver.

Henderson signed for 2 million dollars. Colbert signed for 7.5 million dollars. They are both the same age.

Just look at the stats the past two seasons and you are going to tell me that Henderson isn't a threat and Colbert is????

Colbert: 37 receptions, 388 yards, 0 TD
    Henderson: 52 receptions, 1154 yards, 8 TD, plus 1 rushing

Oh and Henderson has return skills, which is also a need for the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post

And............. he's been better than Colbert. What does that say.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Henderson signed for 2 million dollars. Colbert signed for 7.5 million dollars. They are both the same age.

Just look at the stats the past two seasons and you are going to tell me that Henderson isn't a threat and Colbert is????

Colbert: 37 receptions, 388 yards, 0 TD
    Henderson: 52 receptions, 1154 yards, 8 TD, plus 1 rushing

Oh and Henderson has return skills, which is also a need for the Broncos.
    I don't think you can predict a players future numbers to past numbers. Again, new system, playing around different players, different coaching, you just don't know what he will he do with us. If you look at WR's they usually blossom and play better after a few years in the league.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

7. The Following User High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    I don't think you can predict a players future numbers to past numbers. Again, new system, playing around different players, different coaching, you just don't know what he will he do with us. If you look at WR's they usually blossom and play better after a few years in the league.
    Yeah, maybe, but I do know he is slow, has decent hands but nothing special, he doesn't break a lot of tackles, he isn't a red zone threat, he doesn't help in the return game, and he doesn't block well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Yeah, maybe, but I do know he is slow, has decent hands but nothing special, he doesn't break a lot of tackles, he isn't a red zone threat, he doesn't help in the return game, and he doesn't block well.
    I understand all of that. I'm a true believer that a person can change all that with new surroundings and different coaching. The staff apparently liked some things they saw on film that was that he probably coachable. You just have to give a guy a chance when he starts over. I'm all for it. I have a gut feeling that he can play a role for us. We're not goingt o ask him to get 1000 yards and make the pro bowl. Marshall is your No#1 threat. He just needs to make some catches and move the chains. People are acting like he's suppose to come in and be a super star, that's not going to happen. Just produce and make some catches when your number is called.
    Last edited by Bronco9798; 03-03-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    I understand all of that. I'm a true believer that a person can change all that with new surroundings and different coaching. The staff apparently liked some things they saw on film that was that he probably coachable. You just have to give a guy a chance when he starts over. I'm all for it. I have a guy feeling that he can play a role for us. We're not goingt o ask him to get 1000 yards and make the pro bowl. Marshall is your No#1 threat. He just needs to make some catches and move the chains. People are acting like he's suppose to come in and be a super star, that's not going to happen. Just produce and make some catches when your number is called.
    I hope you are right niner. I'm all for supporting the guy because he will be a Broncos, but I must say, my expectations aren't very high right now. I hope he can adapt to catching some flame throwers, because Cutler will bring them.

Did Colbert play with Palmer at all? Or was it Leinhart? Hopefully Palmer was the guy and he was use to some hot one coming at him.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Colbert = Wal Mart shopping.

I don't think that the Panthers have a terrible coaching staff. Next thing someone is going to post is "let Rod Smith mentor him". To many people think Rod can mentor everyone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

You don't know anything of the sort, Boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL Draft Scout
    Draft Scout Snapshot:03/24/04 - Senior wide receiver KEARY COLBERT... weighed in at 6005, 201 pounds... which was six pounds lighter than at the Combine... ran between 4.45 and 4.49 in the 40... fastest clock was 4.38... 1.56/1.59 10-yard... 4.18 short shuttle...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=58424

But how did the Colbert issue bleed over to this thread?

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Colbert's current scouting report... not his college one... per ESPN

Colbert is athletic and has functional play speed. He gets to top speed quickly and has good play speed in his routes. He has some lateral quickness and acceleration off the line. He has above-average route savvy and the quickness at the top stems to create separation. He has some awareness to find soft spots in coverage and he works to get open on slow-developing plays. He plays bigger than his size. He has good leaping ability, ball skills and timing on his jumps downfield. He isn't a burner, but he has deceptive speed after the catch. But he plays too upright and has a choppy running style. He seems to have problems with his feet. He isn't very physical against press coverage. He isn't very fluid when separating at break points. His concentration and body control can be inconsistent on tough catches in traffic. He isn't a strong or consistent blocker. Colbert has underachieved since his rookie season. He's best suited to being a backup.

16. The Following User High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Wow, I am not going to lie. I am hurting right now. Out of every DT available, this was the one I wanted the most. Most of the others (aside form Corey Williams), were available for a good reason:
    Shaun Rogers-Character/Work Ethic
    Kris Jenkins-Not the player he once was/Character/Work Ethic
    Marcus Stroud-Injury Hx/Drug Issues

Those guys were available for those very reasons. Their former teams wanted them off bc there talent wasnt greater than the negative baggage they brought with them. In a league where DTs are at a premium you know these issues were serious enough that their teams were willing to let them go. And I was fine with that, I'll admit Rogers peaked my interest, but its probably a good thing we didnt get him. There is no reason why he wouldnt continue to be a turd here. Truth of the matter is, that without Al, and in one yr without Lynch, we dont have many leaders on D. Champ has always been a quiet, by example, kinda guy. And I am not sure if DJ can take up the mantle that Al held. I am somewhat digressing, but felt that it was important to understand why those other DT's were not right for us.

On the other hand Dewayne is known as a model citizen, one who hasnt ever had drug or character concerns. AND he was on the trade market not because he had a lack of talent, instead because he is not built for a 3-4 Defense. He is built for a 4-3 defense and the Jets realized it didnt make sense to play someone with such a huge salary out of position. All the while he has been playing out of position, he has never complained, never brought up the obvious that his stats playing as a NT in a 3-4 would be non existent. No, he did his job. Which I am realizing is perhaps more important than I ever thought. The cohesiveness of a unit, the idea that the sum is greater than the parts, the idea that playing together when everyone is on the same page will yield results is something I would love for us to get back too.

Truth be told, I dont know if he is a top 5 DT playing the 4-3, but I do suspect he would have immediately been head and shoulders above any DT on our current roster. And considering that picking up a good DT will do more for our defense than any other single move, this really is a lost opportunity. And one with good character, who will do what needs to be done just amplifies the loss. This hurts, this really hurts.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived ydave77 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Colbert's current scouting report... not his college one... per ESPN

Colbert is athletic and has functional play speed. He gets to top speed quickly and has good play speed in his routes. He has some lateral quickness and acceleration off the line. He has above-average route savvy and the quickness at the top stems to create separation. He has some awareness to find soft spots in coverage and he works to get open on slow-developing plays. He plays bigger than his size. He has good leaping ability, ball skills and timing on his jumps downfield. He isn't a burner, but he has deceptive speed after the catch. But he plays too upright and has a choppy running style. He seems to have problems with his feet. He isn't very physical against press coverage. He isn't very fluid when separating at break points. His concentration and body control can be inconsistent on tough catches in traffic. He isn't a strong or consistent blocker. Colbert has underachieved since his rookie season. He's best suited to being a backup.
    Sounds pretty good to me. So he has decent speed (he's not slow then,
    right?), can create separation, and is a good jumper. His blocking is
    something that improves for everybody when the join the Broncos since
    that is a priority, right? He implied in the RMN article I posted that he wants
    to be a good blocker.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Robertson.

I think it more the issue that the trade was conditional on him re-doing his contract. Which in most cases sounds like long term big bucks to me.

Now It sounds like he is worth it but it also sound to me, Pat said no to a long term expensive FA..

The more the inactions I see in the bidding wars for talent, the more I see the choke collar tightening around mikey's misdeeds in the past..

Pat seems to be real serious about turning the talent pool around from BIG BUCK FA to lots of rookie contracts..

Many of you were not listening when he had his press conference.

Take the Colbert comments to his thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Robertson.

I think it more the issue that the trade was conditional on him re-doing his contract. Which in most cases sounds like long term big bucks to me.

Now It sounds like he is worth it but it also sound to me, Pat said no to a long term expensive FA..

The more the inactions I see in the bidding wars for talent, the more I see the choke collar tightening around mikey's misdeeds in the past..

Pat seems to be real serious about turning the talent pool around from BIG BUCK FA to lots of rookie contracts..

Many of you were not listening when he had his press conference.

Take the Colbert comments to his thread..
    I'm still pissed about this.

Above average DT's do tend to make some $$. If we want a good one we'll have to pay.

22. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information