Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broncos Almost Got First Round Pick for Marshall

Default Broncos Almost Got First Round Pick for Marshall

If anyone's interested. Didn't see it posted, but didn't search very well since the article itself was just posted.

As much news as is given to trades for big-ticket players such as Brandon Marshall to Miami a week ago, it can also be very telling of the overall interest said player receives from the rest of the league.

A player can surprisingly garner a swarm of eyeballs, as was in the Marshall deal. The Dolphins got him for two second-round picks, but not without plenty of competition.

ProFootballTalk revealed on Sunday that while the Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers were potential players, the New York Jets were prepared to give the Denver Broncos the first-round pick they sought for him.

“New York was comfortable giving up their first round pick for Marshall, and tried to sign the now-Dolphin to an offer sheet,” wrote PFT’s Gregg Rosenthal. “The Jets, however, couldn’t come up with a contract that made Marshall happy. The offer sheet never came, the Jets moved on, and the Dolphins began to show interest about one week later.”

Denver apparently had to settle because Marshall would only sign on for the Dolphins’ contract offer, a four-year deal worth a reported $11.75 million per season, $24 million guaranteed. It could turn out to be a worthy contract if the receiver behaves. When in line, Marshall is a top-tier Pro Bowler with down field speed. That’s something Miami had on a consistent basis since O.J. McDuffie in the mid-90s (some could say ever further back than that).

And that could ultimately be bad news for the Jets, who pride themselves on defense, and acquired Antonio Cromartie to help out All-Pro Darrelle Revis. New York was obviously hoping to avoid a thorny match-up twice a year.

Marshall led Denver with 1,120 yards and 10 scores in ‘09, and has 4,019 yards overall since his rookie season in 2006.

Chad Henne could use all that help in his first full season. Henne only threw for 2,878 yards in 14 games, and Miami receivers had just 13 total touchdowns. Davone Bess actually led the team with 758 yards.

The Dolphins are 30/1 favorites to win the 2011 Super Bowl, according to most NFL Betting Odds, while the Jets are at 16/1
    http://www.usaplayers.com/gambling-n...andon-marshall

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived McKeough For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

We got what we got.

There were three parties that needed to feel compensated in any transaction that took place. The Broncos, the trade partner, and Marshall.

Sure is funny that the reason he didnt go to NY is because Jets couldnt come up with the green.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

4. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

I saw that. I just read one with Marshall's agent praising McD, saying "He wanted Brandon to be happy".

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If it was number 6 or 14 from Seatle I would have really prefered the first but
    since it would have been late first, even though maybe we could have still got a high calibar player fall to us it is likely we would have just reached with the pick to get a player that maybe we can wait out with on the second and get a similar player with, both this year and next.

So for filling the team with young depth I like this better.

8. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

As it has been stated by many others, we basically got first round value for him. No matter where the 2nd round pick in 2011 lands, if you add the points from the 43rd pick and next year's pick I am sure it will equal 1st round pick value.

So the FO did get what they wanted. It is just uniquely packaged.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived jlarsiii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If it was number 6 or 14 from Seatle I would have really prefered the first but
    since it would have been late first, even though maybe we could have still got a high calibar player fall to us it is likely we would have just reached with the pick to get a player that maybe we can wait out with on the second and get a similar player with, both this year and next.

So for filling the team with young depth I like this better.
    They could have reached with an additional late 1st round pick. More likely they would have used that pick as fodder for a trade up or down. I guess we will never know because it didn't happen. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Denver apparently had to settle because Marshall would only sign on for the Dolphins’ contract offer,
    "settle," my ass. . . getting miami's 2nd plus another 2nd next year is a WAY better deal for us than just getting the jets' 1st. . . no comparison! it's only about 15 spots lower-- to get an additional high pick, and not have to pay 1st round money to either of them, is a serious win. . . we get two good prospects instead of one, and it gives us great flexibility to potentially move around the board more, collect value and target the guys we want-- this year and next. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Agreed. If the notion is to try and replace BM, OR obtain players who will make the team better in other ways...we now have 2 chances at it instead of just 1.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    "settle," my ass. . . getting miami's 2nd plus another 2nd next year is a WAY better deal for us than just getting the jets' 1st. . . no comparison! it's only about 15 spots lower-- to get an additional high pick, and not have to pay 1st round money to either of them, is a serious win. . . we get two good prospects instead of one, and it gives us great flexibility to potentially move around the board more, collect value and target the guys we want-- this year and next. . .
    Or it gives us another second rounder to spend on a blocking TE...

Sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously though, the thought of "more" draft picks for McD and X to play with won't excite me until they prove that they know how to use them.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Or it gives us another second rounder to spend on a blocking TE...

Sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously though, the thought of "more" draft picks for McD and X to play with won't excite me until they prove that they know how to use them.
    it's a fair point, but even if you think they're drunken monkeys throwing darts at their draft board, two chances is still better than one. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

I would like to see us go bobby bethard one more time this draft and trade some future assets for more picks in this draft as next years draft is going to be thin due to all of the underclassmen that came out this year. And while I hated the move for smith last year I would totally sign off on something like that for this draft.

20. The Following User High Fived Nickademus For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I would like to see us go bobby bethard one more time this draft and trade some future assets for more picks in this draft as next years draft is going to be thin due to all of the underclassmen that came out this year. And while I hated the move for smith last year I would totally sign off on something like that for this draft.
    the more i look at this draft and our position, the more i think something like that is quite likely. . .

my gut is that we take dez bryant or possibly mcclain, and try to package a pair of picks to move back into the first for pouncey or odrick-- or even for mccalin or weatherspoon. . . .
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

In such a deep draft i'm very happy with the extra 2nd.

23. The Following User High Fived KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    That was my thought exactly. In a time where we are having trouble with idea of paying a guy like Doom because of the CBA negotiations, I sure as hell don't want a repeat of last year. Paying 2 guys first round money and not being sure how big the impact will be. I think Moreno and Ayers will pan out, but it wasn't immediate like you would expect for 2 first round guys. I can't wait for rookie capped contracts.

25. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information