Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broncos open to draft trade talk, with first-round bait

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I still don't get the hate about the Quinn move. The Steelers wanted him and were gonna take him at their spot...according to local reports. He is an incredible blocker who scouts said had better hands than people thought....UNC just didn't use the TE. For all of us who cried and cried about the goalline failures, maybe this guy is a piece to the puzzle who will help get a push and or be a guy noone pays attention to as a RZ threat. Give it more than 1 year my man.
    That's exactly it. The Broncos really liked Quinn and they weren't confident that he would last to their pick in the 3rd round so they moved up into the 2nd to get him. As we know now, their worries were justified.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

As far as Quinn goes, setting the edge is very important. That's why Shanahan paid out the ass for Graham. Now we have someone to replace Graham if he leaves or when he retires.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncobryce For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Yes DEN has had the REP for years of hearing WTH who is that?

I'm sure some of that will continue for both DEN and WAS.

I think in WAS case it will be less than in the past since they have a boneafide GM and lots of huge holes to fill. If they don't pick up an OT there in the first it will be WTF from all of their fans.

As for us I have yet to see Josh not do something OTHER than try to make the TEAM better.

I'll continue to hope he starts with LOS beef and brains. Then worry about WR issues. There is lots of depth there.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Yeah, besides giving up Pro Bowl caliber playmakers and moving up in the draft to take suspect talent.
    Last edited by turftoad; 04-18-2010 at 12:07 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

the draft is gonna be fun....i just have to try and remember not to go crazy reading fluffed up scouting reports on every guy we draft.i tend to do that and then place unrealistic expectations on the players.
    it is hard to keep in mind that it typically takes 2-3 years to find out if a player is gonna be good/great or a bust.
    and it's historically proven every draft will have a little of each.
    but i will say i hope we get tough mothuhs on both sides of the line.
    watching sb32 last night on nfln reminded me what a team made up of guys who wanted something so bad,and were willing to kick a$$ to get it done really looks like !!

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Yeah, besides giving up Pro Bowl caliber playmakers and moving up in the draft to take suspect talent.
    He got fair value for those cry baby pro bowl player's. That's a far cry from giving them up. In fact he robbed Chicago blind IMO.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived gregbroncs For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jlarsiii View Post
    I am doing my best to give it some time. Sometimes it is hard to do so when I thought we would have been better served by utilizing all of our picks without trading some of them away.

I just assumed that with McD coming in as a new coach, and with all the holes we had to fill, that he would use each and every draft pick that we had last year to bring in quality and quantity. I suppose that is my big hang-up with trading away some picks during last years draft.

Only time will tell if those moves were prudent, or if they were the result of having little time to prepare coupled with inexperience at drafting.
    The thing is.... people now think that a difference of strategy automatically means that the other guy is wrong. It just doesn't work that way.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I am doing my best to give it some time. Sometimes it is hard to do so when I thought we would have been better served by utilizing all of our picks without trading some of them away.

I just assumed that with McD coming in as a new coach, and with all the holes we had to fill, that he would use each and every draft pick that we had last year to bring in quality and quantity. I suppose that is my big hang-up with trading away some picks during last years draft.

Only time will tell if those moves were prudent, or if they were the result of having little time to prepare coupled with inexperience at drafting.
    And I'll be complaining w/ ya if it doesn't pan out...but I'm gonna wait another 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by broncobryce View Post
    As far as Quinn goes, setting the edge is very important. That's why Shanahan paid out the ass for Graham. Now we have someone to replace Graham if he leaves or when he retires.
    But if you look at Joshes NE model they drafted TE's almost every year, so I will not be surprised if we see another TE taken this year next year and the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    He got fair value for those cry baby pro bowl player's. That's a far cry from giving them up. In fact he robbed Chicago blind IMO.
    Lets see If I got his correct we got 2 1sts and 3rd for the former 12th pick in the draft

and we got 2 seconds for the former 119 pick plus we got a couple of years of production from them

the only thing that will hurt this is getting a 4th for the former 61st pick in TS.

I'll take doubling my picks any day for NON TEAM players.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I just hope we go BPA. Thats all I care about. I dont care if we trade back, up or sideways. Take the best player, and dont trade for a need.
    You might not want to watch this draft then.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Most likely you are right. Still, it will be hard not to be a little critical of McD if he pulls off another move that landed us Quinn last year in the 2nd round. I still scratch me head about that particular move. I would add the Smith deal as well but I hold out hope that the kid develops and becomes productive enough for the team for that move to just be "water under the bridge".

Either way I expect the draft to be entertaining this year given the unknown on if we move or how much we move.
    A-fricking men.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I still don't get the hate about the Quinn move. The Steelers wanted him and were gonna take him at their spot...according to local reports. He is an incredible blocker who scouts said had better hands than people thought....UNC just didn't use the TE. For all of us who cried and cried about the goalline failures, maybe this guy is a piece to the puzzle who will help get a push and or be a guy noone pays attention to as a RZ threat. Give it more than 1 year my man.
    Because you move up if that guy is going to payoff immediately. We moved up to get Smith (although i stated many times that day that Butler would play as well or better) and low and behold NE picks him up and outplays Smith in everyway. Quinn may pay off 10 years from now but the team really needs players who can be plugged in and start right away to improve NOW. And moving up to get a guy that many didnt really care about just doesnt make sense to me. I know, im not the coach but i dont give a shit. I didnt like the move and as a fan i can state so.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    And I give you Jarvis Moss....

Point is that you are describing Shanahan. A couple of names Trevcor Price, Shannin Sarpe, and all that group that started with Toviessi, and I don't know how many busts Shanahan had.

His tremendous skills got one AFFG in 10 years.

WOWZA!

I have more faith in McD than I do in your "expert" analysis of McD's work so far. And your criticism seems a bit too pat to be anything but a mimic of "canned" attitudes.

It is possible that McD can fail big, but I don't think it is happening yet, and I am inclined to believe he will do quite well. In the meantime, it seems ****** to lay such unfounded negativity on McD.

It's okay to have your opinion, but it sure is ******.......IMO.
    Last edited by Lonestar; 04-18-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Personal Attack/Insulted poster

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived James Bond For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Lets see If I got his correct we got 2 1sts and 3rd for the former 12th pick in the draft

and we got 2 seconds for the former 119 pick plus we got a couple of years of production from them

the only thing that will hurt this is getting a 4th for the former 61st pick in TS.

I'll take doubling my picks any day for NON TEAM players.
    It's only good if the picks work out.. otherwise a cluster of epic porportion..
    They've had the whole offseason to study the deepest draft in forever.. ;et's hope the pull the trigger on all the right guys.. The cupboard is pretty bare now with hardly any holdovers before 2008.

I don't know what the rest of you think but I hear a lot of talk about trading back for an additional pick this year. Though it is merely my preference I would be just as happy if not happier with a pick next year from trading back in the first round.

Usually picks that are attached to draft day trades for next year have much better value for the team moving back then their current draft day counter parts. Meaning we likely will get a second round next year compared to a third round this year if we switch first round picks. That or the same goes for second round picks this year and a first round pick next year.

Honestly if its in the same round (a second this year or a second next year) I'd prefer this years pick because you know where that second round pick is compared to guessing what it might be next, but usually you receive higher pick value for a pick in the following draft. That is of course unless the Broncos have someone specifically in their sights with the pick any draft day trade may entail for this year.

Is it just me though, but after the press conference did you get the idea that the Broncos have already been in negotiation with other teams with a draft day trade if the top 10 picks unfold in a way that certain players are there for the trading team? I did.... we'll see though.
    Temp sig till I find another one

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information