Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: McClain, Pouncey or bust

Default McClain, Pouncey or bust

Krieger: McClain, Pouncey or bust
    By Dave Krieger
    Denver Post Columnist
    POSTED: 04/17/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Josh McDaniels said all the things coaches have to say at their NFL-mandated pre-draft news conferences — love every player, would take one at any position, willing to trade up or down — but he also said some things he didn't have to say.

Whether these things are to be believed is another question. All coaches throw out at least a little pre-draft misdirection, and we don't have a lot of experience separating McDaniels' direction from his misdirection.

That said, none of it dissuaded me from thinking the obvious course is also the right one: If he's there, the Broncos should draft Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain with the 11th pick of the first round. If he's not, they should trade down a few spots and take Florida center Maurkice Pouncey.

As to whether McClain will be there, your guess is as good as mine. Jacksonville, picking just ahead of the Broncos at No. 10, could take him just as easily — or possibly ask for something from the Broncos to flop picks and take somebody else.

But if McClain is gone when Roger Goodell puts the Broncos on the clock, it will be time to slide back a bit, which they've already gotten inquiries about doing. There, they could make Pouncey the 6-foot-5, 305-pound anchor of the bigger, stronger offensive line McDaniels covets.

There are other possibilities at No. 11, of course. There's Dez Bryant, the Oklahoma State wide receiver who could replace Brandon Marshall. There's Dan Williams, the Tennessee defensive tackle who might — and I emphasize might — star on the defensive line.

And there are other possibilities if they move back, including Idaho offensive lineman Mike Iupati and Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon. Not to mention Tim Tebow, whose fans may still be hanging out in the parking lot at Dove Valley, I'm not sure.

Still, centers worth first- round draft picks don't come along every year, and Pouncey has come along in a year when the Broncos happen to need one. If McClain is gone, Pouncey becomes their best consolation prize.

But McClain is the guy they need most. Not since Al Wilson have the Broncos had a fire-breathing leader in the middle of their defense. They've already opened the spot by releasing Andra Davis, who started beside D.J. Williams at inside linebacker last season. McDaniels has worked with Alabama coach Nick Saban and knows how much responsibility McClain was given to run a defense of pro-style complexity.

It is as if McClain were built to the specifications McDan- iels keeps talking about — smart, tough, fast, strong. If the Broncos want to stop getting manhandled, a 6-4, 258- pound inside linebacker is an excellent place to start.

"I'm not sure I've met a young man as intelligent relative to the game of football (as) Rolando McClain," McDaniels said. "He's obviously been well-coached, but even if you're coached well, it takes another side to get to where he's at. He's obviously done a lot of listening, studying and understands the game at a level where most kids that come in as rookies will never be at."

McDaniels also said nice things about lots of other players, of course, including Bryant, whom the Broncos had in for a visit Wednesday, the same day as McClain. Still, plugging Bryant into the Broncos' draft slot because he's a logical replacement for Marshall assumes McDaniels is looking to recreate last season's status quo. He's not. He's looking to beef up the foundation of his team.

The other realistic possibility at No. 11, assuming McClain is gone, is Williams. The Broncos have signed three veteran defensive linemen in free agency, but McDaniels said that wouldn't stop him from drafting a difference-maker there.

He also pointed out that Williams had only one year of big-time production at Tennessee, after Monte Kiffin arrived to coach the defense last season. Linebacker Robert Ayers, whom McDaniels drafted at No. 18 last year, also played at Tennessee and also had only one year of first-round production. Ayers' rookie season was a disappointment. So I'm guessing McDaniels doesn't go to that particular well again this year.

Both the Broncos' needs and McDaniels' frustrations about them were pretty obvious during last year's second-half slide. They couldn't run the ball, and they couldn't stop the run. In football, it doesn't get more basic than that.

McClain helps with the latter, Pouncey with the former. They both fill not merely needs, but vacancies. The Broncos should come away from the draft's first night with one or the other.

Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger

Let the Giants take McClain and we'll take thier 3rd, and Spoon at 15.

3. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

I haven't checked the chart, so I don't know if it's fair value; but I'm thinking we take McClain at #11, and then trade back into the first round by giving up one of our 2nd's and perhaps a 3rd, and taking Pouncey as well.
    Last edited by Grover; 04-17-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Oops, wrote Iupati originally. Changed it to Pouncey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grover View Post
    I haven't checked the chart, so I don't know if it's fair value; but I'm thinking we take McClain at #11, and then trade back into the first round by giving up one of our 2nd's and perhaps a 3rd, and taking Iupati as well.
    The value fits for a trade like that Grover, but I'm not sure if the Broncos would take 2 first rounders this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I want Pouncey (and not just because of his last name).

7. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    John Albert Elway: Champion Forever!

I've been on the record for a month now that Mc Clain is the pick.

I don't think I've seen as much as ONE mock that has him gone before #11.

He's one of the safest picks in this draft imo . . . total "Plug and Play" guy who would become the heart and soul of the team the day Dawkins retires.

All that said, I'd be happy with a trade back scenario. Moving back to 20 would get us about the 52 overall.

Pouncey + Spikes > Mc Clain

But if we stay at 11 I want the rock-ribbed defender with fire in his eyes, not the diva WR...
    That's right b!+ches, the Denver BRONCOS are Back!!!

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived xzn For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Grover View Post
    I haven't checked the chart, so I don't know if it's fair value; but I'm thinking we take McClain at #11, and then trade back into the first round by giving up one of our 2nd's and perhaps a 3rd, and taking Pouncey as well.
    Going by the chart, the difference between 11 and 15 is 200 pts...or a mid 3rd rounder.

Sounds like a perfect deal...unless they wanna toss us a WR and a 6th instead.

Quote Originally Posted by xzn View Post

He's one of the safest picks in this draft imo . . . total "Plug and Play" guy who would become the heart and soul of the team the day Dawkins retires.

All that said, I'd be happy with a trade back scenario. Moving back to 20 would get us about the 52 overall.

But if we stay at 11 I want the rock-ribbed defender with fire in his eyes, not the diva WR...
    My thoughts exactly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Or Watherspoon and Ducasse/Asamoah

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Hard to argue with that. Insert a guy like McClain, and I see a top 5 defense . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

14. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Hard to argue with that. Insert a guy like McClain, and I see a top 5 defense . . .

-----
    Because one guy makes a top 5 defense.

16. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

I do not want pouncey!!!!!!!

The difference between him and olsen and walton is almost nil. Pouncey this year is not even as good as mack from last year and mack went at the end of the first.

Get mclain, Get Dez, Get spoon, Get williams either at 11 or with a trade back. Gain the picks and take olsen or walton in the 2/3 rounds.

Problem with trading back and trying to get Dez, is Sea will take dez at 14 if still there.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Because one guy makes a top 5 defense.
    i'm pretty sure the broncos would put 11 guys on the field.....not 1
    and we have already beefed up the D before the draft.
    play nice

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

we can draft mcclain throw sheffler and our 3rd at somebody and have 3 picks in the 2nd
    and pouncey may just be "the player" that falls to one of those spots....someone always does and C's dont go in the 1st.....right? (fingers crossed)

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Remember how bad our D dropped off once Al Wilson left? Ray Lewis always fields a great defense, partly because he will bite your head off if you don't play hard, smart, and tough. Just like Al Wilson. And if we draft him, hopefully like Mclain.

21. The Following User High Fived broncobryce For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information