Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Final Drive!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Default The Final Drive!!!

Having a night to sleep on it and watch all the highlights over and over again today on NFL live and NFL gameday, it has finally sunk in and hit me on how GREAT that final drive of the game was for our offense and team.

Denver Broncos at 02:13 - not much time left, but 3 timeouts if you include the 2 minute warning.

1-10-DEN 34 (2:13) 20-T.Henry right tackle to DEN 42 for 8 yards - good play call. Shows that the coaches are not panicking and settles down everyone with a solid 8 yard gain.

2-2-DEN 42 (2:00) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short right to 20-T.Henry to DEN 45 for 3 yards Screen, caught at DEN 37. PENALTY on DEN-62-C.Myers, Offensive Holding, 11 yards, enforced at DEN 42 - No Play. - Big holding penalty that turned a first down into a 2nd and long.

2-13-DEN 31 (1:52) 6-J.Cutler FUMBLES (Aborted) at DEN 25, touched at DEN 18, ball out of bounds at DEN 21. Pass batted by S.Young, out of bounds. Penalty on DEN-35-S.Young, Illegal Bat, declined. At this point, it was not looking good. It looked like Cutler had tried to do too much and it was going to cost us the game. GOod heads up play by Young.

3-23-DEN 21 (1:43) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short left to 84-J.Walker to DEN 42 for 21 yards . Caught in flat at DEN 30. J.Walker injured on play, walks off.
    Timeout #2 by DEN at 01:31.
    So far the biggest play of the game. THird and long and Cutler throws a quick dart to Walker and he gets close to a much needed first down. Sets up 4th and short.

4-2-DEN 42 (1:31) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler right end to DEN 49 for 7 yards Another great play call by SHanahan and also great execution to pick up not only the first down, but an additional 5 yards.

1-10-DEN 49 (1:08) (No Huddle) 20-T.Henry left guard to DEN 46 for -3 yards. - not a good play call in my opinion with a minute left, and to add to it not a good execution of the play. Sets up another 2nd and long

Timeout #2 by DEN at 01:03.

2-13-DEN 46 (1:03) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short right to 15-B.Marshall. Overthrown, receiver at BUF 41. - looked like a little mis communication or just a bad throw by Jay. Now its 3rd and long again.

3-13-DEN 46 (:58) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short right to 84-J.Walker pushed ob at BUF 43 for 11 yards. Caught along sideline at BUF 43. Nice pass and catch and good fight by Walker to try and pick up the first down. THese two were really in sink all game.

4-2-BUF 43 (:51) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short right to 84-J.Walker to BUF 35 for 8 yards. THis is the game and another strike to Walker to pick up the first down.

1-10-BUF 35 (:38) 6-J.Cutler spiked the ball to stop the clock.

2-10-BUF 35 (:38) 6-J.Cutler right tackle to BUF 35 for no gain. CLocks ticking....

3-10-BUF 35 (:18) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short left to 84-J.Walker to BUF 24 for 11 yards. This ball was a bullet between 3 defenders and was clutch on Cutlers and Walkers part. They could not cover Walker on this drive.

1-10-BUF 24 (:01) 1-J.Elam 42 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-83-M.Leach, Holder-10-T.Sauerbrun. I was screaming to spike it, but as it turned out our special teams came through, kept their composure and Elam nailed it. THe rest is history.

THis is a great game in my opinion to start the season off with. We should have blown them out, didn't, but showed great composure and resiliency (sp) to put it all together when it mattered most. This game is just a sign of things to come from our offense and defense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

you nailed it buddy, that drive was freakin' awesome. . . admittedly cutler made a few mistakes (one major), but it was great to see him step up and take care of the situation he'd created-- of course he had a big assist from walker, but that what teammates are for, and why we went out and got him. . . he was a STEAL for a 2nd rounder! to put it in perspective, the pats gave up a 2nd (albeit a lower one) for wes welker. . .

cutler did a great job running the two-minute drill, and without his full complement of time outs. . . mistakes aside, he and the offense executed when we absolutely had to have it-- hopefully that's a precursor of things to come. . . i've said all along, i think cutler is the truth. . . aside from the playoffs, that was easily the most exciting broncos win in years. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

It would seem to me that not spiking the ball was a stroke of genius. As it
    turns out, the STs had practiced this "hurry-up" field goal play. So it isn't as if
    it was entirely strange to them.

But it was to the other side. By going into "TORO" (the hurry-up FG), they
    denied the other side a chance to get settled and bring in the proper
    personnel, and set up their FG defense.

(In fact, while I'm sure the Bills expected the time to run out before the
    Broncos had a chance to kick, it might have been advisable for them to
    call a time-out to set up and let Elam think about it for a while. But, on the
    other hand, who'da thunk?)

I could not envision doing that with many FG kickers, but this was Jason Elam.

One of the most brilliant, best executed plays I have ever, ever seen.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I think Elam said it best: "More Elway than Elway." What a clutch performer. Both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    It would seem to me that not spiking the ball was a stroke of genius. As it
    turns out, the STs had practiced this "hurry-up" field goal play. So it isn't as if
    it was entirely strange to them.

But it was to the other side. By going into "TORO" (the hurry-up FG), they
    denied the other side a chance to get settled and bring in the proper
    personnel, and set up their FG defense.

(In fact, while I'm sure the Bills expected the time to run out before the
    Broncos had a chance to kick, it might have been advisable for them to
    call a time-out to set up and let Elam think about it for a while. But, on the
    other hand, who'da thunk?)

I could not envision doing that with many FG kickers, but this was Jason Elam.

One of the most brilliant, best executed plays I have ever, ever seen.

-----
    I thought we should have spiked it at the time but after Elam got it off in time thought it was pure genius. Jason Elam had a bad day kicking but he pulled it together and that's all that counts.

Den21 said it best

There's NO one I trust more in the last seconds of the game.

Just reading about it makes me want to go to NFL. com and watch it!

Man, great posts by EVERYONE in this thread.

A day later and I'm still thrilled.

Admin on the "other" site, still your friendly Broncos fan

if denver spikes the ball we lose a couple of yards. then buff has the chance to get the correct personel in the game like top said. on top of that buff can also call its own timeout trying to "ice the kicker" making elam think about it. so great play calling by shanny. even elam said in his interview that we never think we will ever run this play but were always ready because you never know. it wasnt just elam ready for it...it was the whole team. not one guy out of formation and no false starts or anything. this will be one of my favorite bronco wins.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

how loud were you guys yelling after elam nailed it?

i was jumping and screaming....the dog thought i was nuts.

oh yeah and if anyone questions cutlers heart then you need to rewatch this game. the boys got ice in his viens. cutler can now tack up 1 career 4th quarter come back.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post

i was jumping and screaming....the dog thought i was nuts.

oh yeah and if anyone questions cutlers heart then you need to rewatch this game. the boys got ice in his viens. cutler can now tack up 1 career 4th quarter come back.
    Actually, I just sat there in stunned silence, my mouth gaping open.

You could have driven a truck through it.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    umm. . . pretty loud. . .

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Actually, I just sat there in stunned silence, my mouth gaping open.

You could have driven a truck through it.

-----
    Wow, Top stunned to the point of silence? I can't believe it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I was screaming at the top of my lungs like a little girl. I probably scared the hell out of my dogs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Yeah, my wife usually doesn't watch football, and we're pretty quiet at home...so it was a little unusual when she was sitting next to me and I was hootin' and hollerin' and cussin' a little bit, too. Makes me smile when I think about it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I am glad you posted that...I missed the whole second half. I fell asleep.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information