Thread: The Sixth Man Award - Rules need changing?

Default The Sixth Man Award - Rules need changing?

Basically I think that the Sixth Man award rules need changing. It seems to me like most of these guys play most of the game anyway, they just start on the bench. Let's look at the stats:

2006-2007 Sixth Man - Leandro Barbosa 32.7mins
    2005-2006 Sixth Man - Mike Miller 30.6 mins
    2004-2005 Sixth Man - Ben Gordon 24.4 mins
    2003-2004 Sixth Man - Antawn Jamison 29 mins

I could go on and on.

Anyway back to my point. Every one of those guys listed has played the majority of the game, excluding Ben Gordon who played half of the game. It is my belief that a guy who gets to play 30 mins a game should not be considered for the Sixth Man award because they are playing the majority of the game anyway. I mean if you get 30 mins a game, who cares if you come off of the bench, you still get to play most of the game.

In my opinion you should only be eligible for the sixth man award if you have played 25 minutes or under. This means that the award will be limited to the TRUE sixth men instead of the guys who get to play all/most of the game anyway.

What do you think?

2. The Following User High Fived Retired_Member_001 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

It would be tough to limit the number of minutes. A 6th man could come in shortly after the game starts due to an injury, or could play a lot of minutes due to early foul trouble to a starter, a rejection to a starter, or could just play a lot of minutes because he is hotter than the starter.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

I see no problem with the status quo. Awards like these don't mean much. It's a team game, and the only trophy anyone should want should be the Larry O'Brien.

If an player wants an individual award they should go play golf or tennis. IMO.

5. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

I sort of agree, but it would just make it too complicated. The NBA individual awards are sort of a joke anyways, now a days.

The 6th man award is stupid... they should just get rid of it... why doesn't everyone have to find all these different ways to give out awards..... Not everyone needs an award.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information