Thread: Bryant's buyer beware: Picking a wide receiver in the draft's first round is a risky decision

Default Bryant's buyer beware: Picking a wide receiver in the draft's first round is a risky decision

Bryant's buyer beware: Picking a wide receiver in the draft's first round is a risky decision
    By Jeff Legwold
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 04/08/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

There's always one — one player most folks involved with the NFL draft think should be better.

A guy who would seem to have all he needs to succeed in the NFL but often leaves personnel people trying to figure out if he will flourish and just how high he should be drafted because of far more questions than answers.

This year, that guy is Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant.

Watch him play and you see a 6-foot-2, 225-pound wide receiver with quality hands and top-shelf athleticism. A guy who snatches the ball, gets upfield and overpowers defensive backs in the scoring zone.

But it's the other things that are nagging at personnel people. Things like Bryant's suspension for most of the 2009 season because he lied to NCAA investigators about his relationship with Deion Sanders. Things like his 40-yard dash time at his personal workout — between 4.50 and 4.61 seconds, depending on which scout was holding which stopwatch. Things like many in attendance at the workout not feeling all of the competitiveness they wanted to feel coming from Bryant, that air about an elite player that says it's his time to shine.

Before his difficulties last season and even before his workout last month, there were people in the league who saw Bryant as one of the top five players on the draft board. They saw the 19 touchdown receptions in 2008 to go with an average of 17 yards per catch. And they saw that in just three games last season, he had 17 receptions for 323 yards and four touchdowns.

Oklahoma State's 2009 offense wasn't the same without Bryant, who finished fifth on the team in catches despite missing 10 games.

In recent weeks, it's become fashionable inside and outside the league to hand Bryant to the Broncos with the 11th overall pick in the April 22-24 draft. (Despite league personnel executives continually mocking the seemingly innumerable mock drafts these days, teams conduct the same exercise within their own confines to gauge how they think things will shake out during the draft.)
    The thinking is that the Broncos will eventually come off their desire for a first-round pick for wide receiver Brandon Marshall and trade him, so they will need a replacement. True enough, but to seek immediate impact from a wide receiver in the draft is to be almost continually disappointed. No other position on the draft board, outside of quarterback, brings as much heartache for an NFL rookie as wide receiver.

Only a handful of receivers since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 have had 1,000-yard seasons in their rookie years, and 50-catch seasons are more the exception than the rule in a wideout's rookie year. Consider the rookie record for yards receiving was set in 1960 by Bill Groman (1,473).

Last year's rookie class, with the advent of three-wide offenses and a pass-happy rule book, was productive. Austin Collie, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks and Michael Crabtree had quality rookie years. But the two wideouts drafted among the top 10 picks — Darius Heyward-Bey (by the Raiders, seventh overall) and Crabtree (by the 49ers, 10th overall) — did not have the immediate impact Collie did as the 127th player drafted.

That is the rub. Players like Bryant always are among the most athletic, most desirable players in the draft, but the position they play is fraught with vocational potholes.

Experience is a fierce teacher for rookie wide receivers in the NFL. That's why a team drafting a wideout in the first round would be wise to simply stand up and say it's making the pick for later impact instead of an impact now. Because, frankly, that's how it almost always works out.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

2. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Yeah, but if he was not considered a team player then why are we and New England both looking at him. Is it possible that he just made some seriously dumb mistakes since his last year of eligibility till now, though at the same time fits the 'team philosophy'?

According to one reporter Denver does consider Bryant to be a Top 10 talent, sounds like we are giving him some serious thought in the draft.
    - Doesn't bother me what people think, the mere fact what I think seems to bother others speaks volumes about them more then myself! -

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    Yeah, but if he was not considered a team player then why are we and New England both looking at him. Is it possible that he just made some seriously dumb mistakes since his last year of eligibility till now, though at the same time fits the 'team philosophy'?

According to one reporter Denver does consider Bryant to be a Top 10 talent, sounds like we are giving him some serious thought in the draft.
    Considering his fupaws of the past I'd hope we do not trade one head case for another smaller one(size wise). Actually wind up giving him a better contract than BM in the process. WITH Guaranteed money.

5. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Its even a bigger risk taking defensive tackles in the first round.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

More than 10 teams have taken Dez Bryant off their draft boards
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2010 9:12 PM ET

As former Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant generates an increasing amount of interest in the days leading up to the draft, a league source tells us that more than 10 teams have removed Bryant from their draft boards.

One such team, we're told, is the Seahawks. The Browns and the Jaguars reportedly have removed him from their boards, too.

Per the source, the concern is that, once he gets paid, it's unknown whether he'll show up for work on a consistent basis. Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported several weeks ago that Bryant was late for multiple practices, and even games.

Of course, one way around this concern would be to insist upon inclusion of the same "diva clause" into Bryant's contract that the 49ers placed into receiver Michael Crabtree's deal, which hinges $15 million in escalators to participation in 90 percent of all activities, voluntary and mandatory. It would be hard for Bryant's agent to balk at such a move. After all, he's the same agent who agreed to the inclusion of that term in Crabtree's contract.

And as to those team who don't plan to consider drafting Bryant? The reality is that 31 teams can take him off their draft boards -- and he can still be a first-round pick.

As Peter King of SI.com told us tonight, Hall of Fame tackle Anthony Munoz was removed from the draft boards of more than 10 teams; 14, to be exact. And yet the knee injury that caused half the league to run in the other direction didn't keep him from becoming one of the best offensive linemen of all time.

bet we aren't one of them. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Honestly... of all the 'suspensions' I've seen and read about in the NCAA.... Bryant's is at the very BOTTOM of the list as far as something I consider to be serious. I think it was ridiculous that he got suspended at all, and was purely because of the minute laws of a very silly rule.

Now.. I absolutely HATE the idea of trading away a STUD like marshall, only to turn around and draft a player at his same position. I think thats the absolute dumbest thing a team can do. But I wouldnt pass on him, at all, based on his NCAA suspension.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

9. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

If he magically fell to Cincinnati at 21 and we didn't take him I'd be pissed.

He may be a tad bit lazy, but that is easier to change than a lot of things.

I don't put much stock in a lot of the knocks on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

11. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Honestly... of all the 'suspensions' I've seen and read about in the NCAA.... Bryant's is at the very BOTTOM of the list as far as something I consider to be serious. I think it was ridiculous that he got suspended at all, and was purely because of the minute laws of a very silly rule.

Now.. I absolutely HATE the idea of trading away a STUD like marshall, only to turn around and draft a player at his same position. I think thats the absolute dumbest thing a team can do. But I wouldnt pass on him, at all, based on his NCAA suspension.

I agree. I do not want us to take him with our #11. and also find it a total waste to trade away a player just to draft another one at the same position.

However, If we do trade Brandon there is no way I want us to pass on bryant. I think he will be that good. I hate it, but if brandon is gone, we can not not draft bryant.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

All this crap about Bryant is so desperate.
    He had lunch with Deon. Then he lied about it.
    Thats it.
    Theres no drugs, theres no beating women, theres no DUIs, theres no rape.
    theres no attacking a fellow player. Theres no guns.
    Pfft, gimme a break.

14. The Following User High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

This scenario has Randy Moss written all over it. I cant help but think that WR needy teams that pass on him will regret it immensely

I dont really know how 'damaged' this dude is or could be...

...but I'm not sold on a WR - let alone him - at the 11th pick in the 1st round.

I'm just saying no to Dez in the 1st...

JMO...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information