Thread: McBath feeling good, strong

Default McBath feeling good, strong

Broncos' McBath feeling good, strong
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 04/08/2010 01:15:26 PM MDT
    UPDATED: 04/08/2010 01:30:58 PM MDT

Broncos cornerback Darcel McBath running back an interception vs. Indianapolis last season. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)
    Special teams got their day at Dove Valley.

The Broncos made Darcel McBath and David Bruton available to the press today. Both are second-year, backup safeties and standout special teams players.

McBath led the Broncos with 11 special teams tackles last season — impressive considering he missed the final three games with a broken forearm.

"My injury wasn't as significant as a lot of people thought," McBath said. "I'm good now. Minor setback."

Because of his forearm injury, and 198-pound frame that is plenty for a free safety, but a bit light for the violent collisions that are commonplace at box safety, McBath was asked if he was ordered to bulk up for his second season.

"I think I'm pretty big, strong, tough, whatever you want to call it," he said. "It's all in your mind. My (injury) was a freak thing. I hit guys like that a thousand times. I don't think I have to get any bigger or any buffer, or whatever you want to call it."
    Bruton tied for fourth last year with nine special teams tackles. He started at safety in game 14 against Oakland but no one expects Bruton to permanently replace Brian Dawkins or Renaldo Hill at safety in 2010.

"I understand with those veterans there, my role primarily is special teams," Bruton said, "but it does not hinder me from competing and trying to go out there and take a starting job."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...mplepiebroncos

2. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

McBath and Bruton are the reasons I hope we don't draft a safety in the early rounds. Both are good, especially McBath. And both are learning from two pretty damn good safeties, one a hall of famer. I think we are good at safety right now.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    McBath and Bruton are the reasons I hope we don't draft a safety in the early rounds. Both are good, especially McBath. And both are learning from two pretty damn good safeties, one a hall of famer. I think we are good at safety right now.
    DEN has been one of those teams where the Safety position is a real strength over the years. I'm not convinced that either will be able to live up to the rep.

I'd rather have a real NAME guy back there someone that is feared on the same level as say Dawk, Lynch, Atwater, Smith were.
    Safeties that will take your head off if you make catches over the middle. They develop alligator arms when the come to DEN.
    That is what I wish for.

Having someone like that make the whole D better because it shortens/shrinks the field of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    DEN has been one of those teams where the Safety position is a real strength over the years. I'm not convinced that either will be able to live up to the rep.

I'd rather have a real NAME guy back there someone that is feared on the same level as say Dawk, Lynch, Atwater, Smith were.
    Safeties that will take your head off if you make catches over the middle. They develop alligator arms when the come to DEN.
    That is what I wish for.

Having someone like that make the whole D better because it shortens/shrinks the field of play.
    It's funny you mention this... I think teams do best when they adhere to their franchise's history... can you imagine a SOFT Pittsburgh Defense? Chicago D? When they are they aren't good teams.

Denver has a history of amazing LBs and Ss. I think it is important to adhere to that to some capacity, fans of Denver just go nuts over great players at those positions, it is weird it builds some extra fan support because the fans identify with the team more, I think it is one of the things that McD struggles with, connecting with fans and his system runs counter in a lot of ways to what Denver fans have known and there is an uncomfortableness adjusting to these changes.

Bottom Line - I would flip over Eric Berry... no chance, but he would be an incredibly popular player for Denver and pretty damn great one too... but again won't happen and nobody else really strikes me that way, but I can McBath giving us a solid 5 years before moving on in free agency and I'm ok with that... more Kenoy Kennedy than Eric Brown (and maybe even a tad better than Kennedy, we'll see.)

7. The Following User High Fived JDL For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

eric berry would definitely be that guy. . . he may not be that big, but dude can drop the hammer. . .

edit: here ya go, JR. . .

look about right to ya?

not likely at all, but it's nice to think about. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 04-09-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

I like Berry just think we have bigger holes to fill at this time.

McBath was absolutely fantastic last year, and will only improve. He will be used much more and might even find himself starting by the end of the year.
    No need for a FS in this years draft no matter who it is.
    I would like to see DEN grab SS Barry Church, Toledo in the later rounds if possible.

11. The Following User High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information