Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos stocking up on wide receivers

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Default Broncos stocking up on wide receivers

Broncos stocking up on wide receivers
    By The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 04/15/2008 11:30:59 PM MDT

Possible Bronco Darrell Jackson, top, celebrates a touchdown in December. (Jim Gensheimer, San Jose Mercury News )Whatever depth problems the Broncos may have at kicker, or punter, or defensive tackle, or offensive tackle, they are compensating for at receiver.

Brian Mooney, the agent for Darrell Jackson, was in town Tuesday to finalize a contract that would add still another receiver with a considerable NFL pedigree to the Broncos' roster. A deal for Jackson is expected to be finalized today.

With 487 career receptions and 50 touchdowns in eight NFL seasons, Jackson, 29, will compete with Keary Colbert, whom the Broncos culled from the free-agent market last month with a $7.2 million contract, at No. 2 receiver.

Besides Jackson, the Broncos also signed former Kansas City Chiefs receiver Samie Parker this week to a one-year deal.

Mendenhall, Cherilus to visit.

Two highly touted prospects — Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall and Boston College left tackle Gosder Cherilus — will visit the Broncos this week.

Now it can be told.

The only Broncos player remaining from their 2004 draft is first-round pick D.J. Williams, who is converting from middle to weakside linebacker this year after converting from strongside to the middle last year and from weakside to strongside following his rookie season.

"I haven't been happy about the movement, but I like the organization, I like the city," Williams said. "I love how Coach Shanahan takes care of his players, as far as physically. The offseason program, everybody around the facility, I like everybody. I understand why I had to move; it made the team better."

Williams told a humorous story about his draft day experience. The New Orleans Saints had called to say they were taking him at No. 18.

Williams was ecstatic. He would be reunited with his good friend, Saints receiver Donte Stallworth, and he was excited about playing in New Orleans.

And then the Broncos traded up from the No. 24 spot to No. 17. He was on the phone with the Saints when his agent Mitch Frankel said the Broncos wanted to talk.

"I said I'll talk to them later," Williams said. "He says, 'No, they want to talk to you.' I see my name go across the ticker: 17th pick, Denver selects D.J. Williams.

"At the combine, they didn't speak to me, didn't do any interviews, so I was shocked. I think I talked to Ted Sund quist, and he says, 'How would you like to be a Denver Bronco?' I look at my agent and say, 'Can I say no?' "

Turns out, Williams wasn't aware John Mobley had suffered a career-ending injury, Ian Gold would not be re-signed and Al Wilson needed new partners.

"I thought they brought me in and they have three Pro Bowl guys and they want me to play special teams," Williams said.
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8938686
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jay Cutler

Great read, especially this part.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    The only Broncos player remaining from their 2004 draft is first-round pick D.J. Williams, who is converting from middle to weakside linebacker this year after converting from strongside to the middle last year and from weakside to strongside following his rookie season.

"I haven't been happy about the movement, but I like the organization, I like the city," Williams said. "I love how Coach Shanahan takes care of his players, as far as physically. The offseason program, everybody around the facility, I like everybody. I understand why I had to move; it made the team better."

Williams told a humorous story about his draft day experience. The New Orleans Saints had called to say they were taking him at No. 18.

Williams was ecstatic. He would be reunited with his good friend, Saints receiver Donte Stallworth, and he was excited about playing in New Orleans.

And then the Broncos traded up from the No. 24 spot to No. 17. He was on the phone with the Saints when his agent Mitch Frankel said the Broncos wanted to talk.

"I said I'll talk to them later," Williams said. "He says, 'No, they want to talk to you.' I see my name go across the ticker: 17th pick, Denver selects D.J. Williams.

"At the combine, they didn't speak to me, didn't do any interviews, so I was shocked. I think I talked to Ted Sund quist, and he says, 'How would you like to be a Denver Bronco?' I look at my agent and say, 'Can I say no?' "

Turns out, Williams wasn't aware John Mobley had suffered a career-ending injury, Ian Gold would not be re-signed and Al Wilson needed new partners.

"I thought they brought me in and they have three Pro Bowl guys and they want me to play special teams," Williams said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8938686

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Mendenhall, Cherilus to visit.

Two highly touted prospects — Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall and Boston College left tackle Gosder Cherilus — will visit the Broncos this week.
    I like this part the best.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
    I like this part the best.
    Me too, exept I think that means we wont draft those guys.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

probably...maybe that means we will draft Stewart

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

Good move to bring in veteran wide receivers with some years left in them to compete in training camp and preseason. I haven't seen the numbers on the Jackson contract but I'm hoping that they are similar to Parker's (40,000 signing bonus, minimum salary). If so, then even if they don't make it, it's only an $80,000 hit to the cap. Very low risk, possible high reward.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Good move to bring in veteran wide receivers with some years left in them to compete in training camp and preseason. I haven't seen the numbers on the Jackson contract but I'm hoping that they are similar to Parker's (40,000 signing bonus, minimum salary). If so, then even if they don't make it, it's only an $80,000 hit to the cap. Very low risk, possible high reward.
    I hope its a one year deal....... If he's good, great re-sign.......... If not, screw him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

"I haven't been happy about the movement," Williams said.

So, when we find out Niko isn't the solution at MLB, does Williams get moved back?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post

So, when we find out Niko isn't the solution at MLB, does Williams get moved back?
    Gotta be more optimistic. I think he'll be a solid MLB. He has the skills, but was stuck behind the best LB corps in the NFL. We'll be fine, but I see DJ moving on after the season. Which is why I see Denver drafting a LB real quick. JMO.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Wrong thread?

I doubt it... they should give Kootie a chance and if he can't do it they might stick Beck, Webster, or a rookie in the mix if we go that route.

17. The Following User High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Wrong thread?
    Its in the article.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Its in the article.
    You'll have to excuse me. The memory is the second thing to go.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

You'll have to excuse me. The memory is the second thing to go.
    Kind of like how Shanahan always forgets which position DJ plays?

It's all good.

22. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
    probably...maybe that means we will draft Stewart
    Good point.

We haven't looked at him yet have we?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information