Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008-09 College Football thread

Default 2008-09 College Football thread

To start things off

Major bad news out of Penn State land....

Sean Lee tears ACL

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSHOGG30 View Post
    To start things off

Major bad news out of Penn State land....

Sean Lee tears ACL
    Added to the distraction of the Paterno contract issues.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Starts tonight!

The 2008 college football season begins Thursday, followed by a Labor Day weekend chock-full of big games and potential upsets.

Grab your TV remote and hug your spouse and children goodbye. Over the next four months, the college football season figures to be as unpredictable and exciting as a year ago, when several teams temporarily took residence at the top of the polls. In the end, LSU was left standing at No. 1.

More than anything else, just be happy college football season is finally here.

1. The 2008 season might be as unpredictable as 2007.
    The early-season schedule offers a smorgasbord of potential upsets: Alabama over Clemson. Utah over Michigan. East Carolina over Virginia Tech. Appalachian State at LSU. And that's just the beginning.

2. The Big 12 has better quarterbacks than the NFC North.
    The Big 12 has four legitimate Heisman Trophy candidates playing under center: Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Texas Tech's Graham Harrell, Missouri's Chase Daniel and Kansas' Todd Reesing.

3. A Harvard man is leading the defending national champions.
    With former starter Ryan Perrilloux playing at Division I-AA Jacksonville (Ala.) State, Harvard transfer Andrew Hatch takes the reins of LSU's offense. At least we know the Tigers' team IQ will be higher.

4. Paul Johnson's offense will work in the ACC.
    Johnson has better players and more athletes at Georgia Tech to run his triple-option spread offense. And he finally has a defense to keep opponents out of the end zone.

5. West Virginia fans will forget about Rich Rodriguez.
    With quarterback Pat White and tailback Noel Devine returning to West Virginia, new coach Bill Stewart is poised to lead the Mountaineers to a Big East championship.

6. Georgia's defense will lead the way.
    Quarterback Matthew Stafford and tailback Knowshon Moreno are Heisman Trophy candidates and garner most of the attention, but Georgia's defense -- the fastest it has ever put on the field -- will lead it to an SEC championship.

7. Notre Dame won't stink.
    Whether you love them or hate them, it's hard to argue college football isn't better when the Fighting Irish are winning. With 16 starters returning, Charlie Weis will lead Notre Dame to a bowl game in 2008.

8. It's all about revenge in the SEC.
    Florida wants to beat Georgia because the Bulldogs danced in the end zone last year. Arkansas wants to beat Ole Miss because Houston Nutt coaches there. LSU wants to beat Alabama because Nick Saban is there.

9. Ohio State plays a meaningful game before January.
    The Buckeyes will either silence their critics or further fuel their doubters when they play at Southern California on Sept. 13. A victory over the Trojans will probably punch Ohio State's ticket to the Jan. 8 BCS Championship Game.

10. They're playing football on Tobacco Road.
    Wake Forest will contend for an ACC championship because the Demon Deacons have one of the best coaches in the country. So will North Carolina, which will be much improved in coach Butch Davis' second season.

11. Mike Leach will raid your ship.
    With Harrell and record-setting receiver Michael Crabtree coming back, Texas Tech is poised to shake up the Big 12 South. Leach finally has a defense to defend his own ship, too.

12. Tim Tebow won't slow down.
    The Gators want their Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback to run the football less often. But Tebow will still be lowering his shoulder and leveling safeties and linebackers whenever he can.

13. Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden will be winners again.
    The Nittany Lions are good enough to finish second or third in the Big Ten. Florida State can win eight or nine games in a pretty mediocre ACC. Each coach can retire while he's still near the top.

14. Matadors don't wear black shirts.
    After allowing 30 points or more in eight games in 2007, including a whopping 76 in a loss to Kansas, Nebraska's defense will have more bite under new coach Bo Pelini.

15. Clemson will be a rock.
    With quarterback Cullen Harper, tailbacks James Davis and C.J. Spiller and receiver Aaron Kelly leading one of the country's best offenses, Clemson is too good to screw it up this time.

16. The Trojans have competition.
    Winning a seventh consecutive Pac-10 championship won't be as easy for USC. The Trojans have to replace a boatload of players, and Arizona State, California, Oregon and Oregon State will offer competitive games.

17. The Big East will be a great race.
    West Virginia is the preseason favorite, at least on paper, but South Florida, Rutgers and Pittsburgh are each capable of spoiling the Mountaineers' dream season.

18. All eyes are on Utah.
    The state is home to two teams capable of crashing the BCS: Utah and BYU. The Utes and Cougars meet at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Nov. 22.

19. SMU football matters again.
    The program that was devastated by the NCAA's death penalty finally has hope with former Hawaii coach June Jones walking the sideline. It won't be long before the Mustangs are scoring points in bunches.

20. Fresno State will shock somebody.
    The Bulldogs have three chances to beat teams from BCS conferences: at Rutgers on Monday, versus Wisconsin on Sept. 13 and at UCLA on Sept. 27. Fresno State is good enough to win at least one of those games -- and maybe all three.

21. The best quarterback in Indiana plays at Ball State.
    The Cardinals are absolutely loaded on offense with quarterback Nate Davis and receiver Dante Love. David Letterman has never been prouder of his alma mater.

22. Temple will finish the season with a winning record.
    And you thought rebuilding Rutgers was hard. Al Golden is close to doing the unimaginable at Temple after finishing 4-8 last season. There's a reason other coaches call him the "Golden Boy."

23. Receivers are the rage.
    Missouri's Jeremy Maclin. Texas Tech's Crabtree. Florida's Percy Harvin. Rutgers' Kenny Britt. Illinois' Arrelious Benn. Fast receivers are the rage in college football.

24. Old school still rules in the Big Ten.
    Illinois, Purdue and Michigan are trying to revolutionize the way football is played in the Midwest, but Ohio State and Wisconsin are still the Big Ten's best by playing "three yards and a cloud of dust."

25. The Big 12 North rises again.
    After being dominated by Oklahoma and Texas for years, Missouri and Kansas are good enough to win the Big 12. Colorado will be much improved, too.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Go Cocks! Beat N.C. State!

You can feel it in the air big time around here. Peeps are pumped up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This is an awesome weekend.

I'll be at a party during the Mile High Showdown, but my friend promised to have it on in the background for me...

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

ESPN Big 12 Blog entry this morning:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-1...ing-wrong.html

Big 12 teams should roll -- or there's something wrong

August 28, 2008 11:51 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

The Big 12 starts its season tonight with a pair of games involving its two cellar-dwelling teams from last season.

It's good for Iowa State and Baylor to get their exposure early. Because Big 12 fans are so excited about the upcoming season that they'll be satisfied with games involving those two downtrodden programs to kick off the season.

Baylor's game with Wake Forest actually could be entertaining although the Iowa State-South Dakota State matchup will likely be for die-hards only.

On Saturday, only two Big 12 teams face games against foes from BCS conferences. And Oklahoma State's game against Washington State and Missouri's key test against Illinois will be the two best games involving Big 12 teams all weekend. And that includes Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger's smack-fueled trip to Austin to pick up a $900,000 paycheck against the Longhorns.

Sunday's game will feature old rivals Colorado and Colorado State meeting in Denver. But Steve Fairchild's first team won't look like Sonny Lubick's old teams that used to torment Gary Barnett. The Buffaloes should roll.

Baylor is the only Big 12 that is an underdog this weekend. And for respectability purposes, the conference needs an 11-1 week to show the nation it really merits consideration among the nation's best.

Thursday:

Wake Forest 34, Baylor 20: The Bears stay close for a half before Wake Forest's defense will force some late mistakes. New Baylor coach Art Briles will be attempting to halt a trend where Baylor has lost five of its last six openers and 38 of its last 40 games against ranked teams.

Iowa State 34, South Dakota State 14: Gene Chizik had trouble settling on whether Austen Arnaud or Phillip Bates should be his starting quarterback. Both will look good Thursday against the undermanned Jackrabbits, who are making their Division I-AA debut.

Saturday:

Oklahoma State 31, Washington State 21: The Cowboys will take advantage of a powerful offensive line that has helped them lead the Big 12 in rushing in each of the last two years. Beau Johnson and Kendall Hunter will take care of the holes, silencing a supposedly hostile crowd in Seattle.

Kansas 45, Florida International 7: The Golden Panthers were blistered for season-worst 615 yards by the Jayhawks last season and it could be even worse this time around. Kansas will be looking to build continuity on the offensive line and celebrate last season's BCS appearance. And they'll do it in style.

Kansas State 44, North Texas 17: Look for the Wildcats to try and build confidence for budding running game against Mean Green, which finished 2-10 and let Florida International beat them in the final game last season. Former walk-on TB Keithen Valentine will get the first start of his career.

Nebraska 34, Western Michigan 17: The Bo Pelini era kicks off in Lincoln against Broncos, who won at Iowa and qualified for their first bowl game since 1988 last season.The biggest question will be how much improvement Pelini coaxes out of a defense ranked No. 112 nationally last season.

Oklahoma 55, Chattanooga 7: Even the banged-up Sooners defense will look dominant against Moccasins' defense that is even more injured. Chattanooga has already lost two offensive starters and had eight other starters miss practice in preparation for the game. And that's before the lights even come on at Owen Field.

Texas 44, Florida Atlantic 20: Even with a green secondary facing the Sun Belt's top returning passer in FAU's Rusty Smith, it's still not wise to pull on Superman's cape. I would have thought that Howard Schnellenberger had been around football long enough to know that.

Texas A&M 31, Arkansas State 14: QB Stephen McGee will show a quick grasp of Coach Mike Sherman's pro-style offensive attack and probably will feel much better -- and with fewer bruises -- on Sunday morning. The big question will be how A&M's retooled 4-3 defense performs under excitable new coordinator Joe Kines.

Texas Tech 62, Eastern Washington 3: Graham Harrell needs only six touchdown passes to break Kliff Kingsbury's school record. He might get them all before the end of the first half against the defensively-challenged Eagles, who ranked 104th nationally in Division I-AA against the pass last season.

Missouri 33, Illinois 21 (at St. Louis): The Tigers start their march to a BCS bowl against a tough opponent that gave them fits last season. This time around, the Tigers provide a consistent defensive effort that will flummox Illinois QB Juice Williams all through the game.

Sunday:

Colorado 27, Colorado State 14 (at Denver): Still unsure exactly what to expect from new CSU coach Steve Fairchild, the Buffaloes will pitch a strong defensive effort neutralizing the Rams' tailback combination of Kyle Bell and Gartrell Johnson. And look for heralded Colorado TB Darrell Scott to show some flashes, too.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

i Love Today!!!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    i Love Today!!!!!!
    Who's your team WTM?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Heck yes! What a weekend, will have the roast ready for the tailgate saturday before the Lobos home opener, watch games all weekend, great stuff!
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

After watching preseason NFL games the last four weeks, I'm sitting here watching real football thinking..."is this really for real?"

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

LOL...this might be a long night for these offenses in the SC-NCS game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Jesse Palmer sucked when he was in the studio...but I'm liking the Palmer-James-Fowler combo. Palmer, so far, has been awesome breaking down plays. He's leaving Craig James in his dust.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Chris Nickson is having a feild day against Miami of Ohio. I know, it's Miami of Ohio, but you still got to git-r-done.

Adopted Bronco:
    Matt Prater | Place Kicker

I can't wait to see the Huskers come back this year!! I am going to have to dodge hurricanes to watch it tonight but I WILL!!!! GO BIG RED!!!
    http://http://www.huskerpedia.com/ga...estmich08.html

18. The Following User High Fived schnooks1 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information