Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a new grill....

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Default Looking to buy a new grill....

My dad's Bday is coming up... and we were trying to figure out what to get him...

Then the other night when we were drinking (no shock there) and talking... I had just got him a grill recipee book... he was talking about how he wanted to try something with a recipee that involved smoking wood chips. He was concerned about it though because of the uneven temps on our current grill.

He then says 'Hell, Walmart has grills for $200 that are 10 times better than the one we have'.

I can afford that! Hell, I'd probably do it on my own even if Red didn't want to pitch in (don't tell her, k?)!

So I go by Walmart the other day, and look at their grills. They have one model for that amount... (can't go cheaper... cause I'd feel... cheap. Especially after he mentioned this one specifically, possibly).

This was the $200 model

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8154167

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/8154167/reviews.htm

If I really had to, I could go higher than that, but I really think this one should be sufficient... but does anyone have any comment or advice on any of this or the process of buying grills?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    My dad's Bday is coming up... and we were trying to figure out what to get him...

Then the other night when we were drinking (no shock there) and talking... I had just got him a grill recipee book... he was talking about how he wanted to try something with a recipee that involved smoking wood chips. He was concerned about it though because of the uneven temps on our current grill.

He then says 'Hell, Walmart has grills for $200 that are 10 times better than the one we have'.

I can afford that! Hell, I'd probably do it on my own even if Red didn't want to pitch in (don't tell her, k?)!

So I go by Walmart the other day, and look at their grills. They have one model for that amount... (can't go cheaper... cause I'd feel... cheap. Especially after he mentioned this one specifically, possibly).

This was the $200 model

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8154167

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/8154167/reviews.htm

If I really had to, I could go higher than that, but I really think this one should be sufficient... but does anyone have any comment or advice on any of this or the process of buying grills?
    I must say that regardless of what you pay for a (gas) grill... the most important thing to me is the ceramic cylinders that you can put in there. To me, even cooking, and no flare up is so important.

What Im getting at, is that you can spend the $200 anywhere, but you can always have Red add on with heat distributing type products. Which can be just as much.

Probably doesnt help, but I believe you can spend $200 bucks on a grill, but modify it to cook like a $1000 dollar grill.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Looks like a great grill!

I don't understand how that would be used for smoking with wood chips though. Can anyone explain how that would be undertaken with a propane grill?

Weber Spirit E-310 is the one I have, not too expensive, includes the rotisserie kit and I love Weber products.

6. The Following User High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

My dream grill is the Weber Summit S-670

8. The Following User High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post

I don't understand how that would be used for smoking with wood chips though. Can anyone explain how that would be undertaken with a propane grill?
    I believe you soak the crap out of the chips and put them in a pan/possible with a little water. It is possible, but of course not the same.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

I cant view the links but make sure it comes with a grill cover, not a big deal but its a nice little add on.

You should be able to negotiate it for free if it does not. Thats what i did, although i got mine at sears.

But look at the less expensive models (if there are some) and wait until they come up to say can i help you. THen go on about getting the grill or the cheaper one. Then go back and forth well i dont know if i want to spend that much, but i need to get one today. yada yada.....well if you throw in a cover i will take the 2bill one.

Im sure you already knew that, but the wife is watching intervention and i am bored so i felt like going through the whole thing. Sorry to have wasted your time.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

11. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Soak the wood chips in water for a couple hours. Wrap the chips in foil, making sort of a pouch. Poke holes in the foil. Set the pouch under the grill grate next to the flame.

It works pretty well.

EDIT: I have to echo what Boss said. Take a look at a Weber. More expensive but they are well built.

13. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Slick7 View Post
    Soak the wood chips in water for a couple hours. Wrap the chips in foil, making sort of a pouch. Poke holes in the foil. Set the pouch under the grill grate next to the flame.

It works pretty well.

EDIT: I have to echo what Boss said. Take a look at a Weber. More expensive but they are well built.
    I've always had a smoker in addition to my grill, i'll have to give this a shot.

Weber's are the best grills known to mankind bang for buck wise. The Walmart grill will do just as well for starters, but aren't made as well. You'll get a couple years of good use out of it, but the Weber will last you a decade.

15. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

I've always had a smoker in addition to my grill, i'll have to give this a shot.

Weber's are the best grills known to mankind bang for buck wise. The Walmart grill will do just as well for starters, but aren't made as well. You'll get a couple years of good use out of it, but the Weber will last you a decade.
    It worked well for me because I didn't have that smoker box on mine.

Maybe Red can buy a grill cover and some accessories or this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Barbecue-Bible...8225734&sr=8-1

A great How To and Recipie book from the grill sensei Steven Raichlen.

17. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

No matter what the ads say, Walfart is not always the cheapest or the best. Check around a little more. Oh and don’t get carried away. I have had a two burner with a side burner for years and never used the side burner.

Had to put this in...

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I have a Weber Genesis, I love that thing!

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I'm not a fan of the gas grills, so I can't really give you any advice, except that there are numerous charcoal/wood smokers that can be bought in that same price range, and with practice will provide a better avenue for smoking and low temp. longer cooks.

That being said some folks just like the ease of turning a knob and getting started without having to monitor their fire. If that's the case, this grill should work fine.

24. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information