Thread: NFL teams not buying what Marshall's selling

Default NFL teams not buying what Marshall's selling

NFL teams not buying what Marshall's selling
    Readers talk and columnist Mark Kiszla responds
    By Mark Kiszla
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 03/28/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

The buzz on B-Marsh.

"Do you have any insight on Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall? Has any NFL team actually made him a contract offer? What's the word on him?"

Brad, Westminster

Kiz: NFL general managers are sending the Broncos and you a message. It's loud and clear: For all his undeniable talent, Marshall is not a truly elite player. Why? B-Marsh has caught a total of 23 touchdown passes during the past three years; Randy Moss scored 23 TDs in 2007 alone. Marshall seeks a salary of $10 million per year, and whatever team signs him to such a ridiculous offer would also have to compensate Denver with a first-round draft choice. At those prices, he better be a sure- fire Hall of Famer. And Marshall is simply not all that.

Which leads to the interesting question: If Josh McDaniels got bashed for granting quarterback Jay Cutler's request for a trade, how would Broncomaniacs respond if the Denver coach tried to keep Marshall in town against his will?

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0jWweQgNc

Good!!! I hope he stays if thats the case.

23 TD's Big deal, Marshall is NOT the thowing the ball.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post

It could be said in TC he was not catching it either..

Quote Originally Posted by roomemp View Post
    I think Toad's point was that a WR only has so much ability to impact his TD total, as the QB has to throw him the ball in situations that will produce TDs.

As to Kisla's conclusion, it is flawed like many others. Unless something has changed in the last week or so, no RFA's have been signed to offer sheets (none of the first+ rounder tenders).

Has Dumervil been sent an offer sheet? An article posted yesterday says that Orton is a $5 million a year QB by NFL standards (going by memory, but I believe that was the number), but nobody has signed him to an offer sheet.

So, by his logic, the lack of offer sheets for those two, or Vincent Jackson, or any of the other RFA's out there, is all about other NFL managers sending the Broncos and other teams 'messages'?

With the uncertainty of the CBA, it is clear that teams are very concerned about big contracts, and even more so when signing a player would result in both a big contract and giving up a first round pick.

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Nothing is going to happen until the draft. That's the only message. People will sign TO, Pacman, but don't want Marshal? I call BS

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived broncobryce For This Post:

anybody who would use that pices of shit article as a means to judge marshall is crazy

10. The Following User High Fived arapaho2 For This Post:

Doom remains the 'must sign/keep' for Denver...

It's going to be interesting to see how this thing with BM plays out...

12. The Following User High Fived Broncolingus For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Marshall is a very good receiver. he sometimes disappears in the red zone and isnt the greatest with his back to the QB. His reception totals are somewhat inflated due to a variety of reasons over the past years...kind of like a power hitter playing at Coors field. In a balanced offense, he could probably be expected to catch 80 balls for 7 TD's. Is that worth $10 mil?

My guess is that is the dilemma teams are having. I think he could get a decent contract as a UFA...and he could bring back a 1st round pick in return. problem is...no one seems to think he's worth a 1st round pick AND a huge contract. makes sense to me.

Hopefully that keeps him here because his value in Danver is far more than it would be almost anywhere else. i think we're seeing proof of that as the offers are non-existent

14. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

He also led the league in drops in one of the years that Cutler was throwing to him. :shrugs: Also, 2 of those seasons with low TD #'s were under Cutler. So I'm not exactly sure where we are going with this.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

But Cutler also had another WR with over 90 catches, how many did our second best have last year? Cutler also had more TD passes, which meant more were going to other WRs... I think thats a point.

I guess Andre Johnson must not be elite either. I guess Johnson 'disappears' in the red-zone and isn't his best with his back to the QB either..... since Marshall beats him in EVERY category.

Andre Johnson: (first four seasons)...311 catches, 3953 yrds (12.7 avg), 17 TDs

Brandon Marshall: (first 4 seasons) ...327 catches, 4019 yrds (12.3 avg), 25 TDs

But I think Tned has it exactly right. How can we say that Marshall not being signed is some kind of 'message' when no one else has been???

The only reason people notice this, is because Marshall is the best player available
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Fandom sure is fickle.

20. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Right.

The article is skewed by the person writing it.

If anything, Brandon is the only RFA talented enough, with a low enough tender to generate buzz in this league.

No other RFA is being discussed with anymore than he is.

As I stated before, no other player on the market, looking at his production, has a better chance of paying off than Brandon.

Not Doom, not Jackson, not merriman, not even Peepers who is signed.

Marshall is desired, and I think this is more about the CBA and RFAs than Marshalls past. Is it a factor? Yes. But there is no movement in the league of RFAs and thats what this is about.

As for contract amount/production, look no further than White in Atlanta.

His first four years he had 29, 30, 83 and 88 receptions. His first year- 3 TDs, second year-none, third year-6 and fourth year-7.

He got PAID to the tune of 49 million over 6 years.

Brandon had 20 recepts his first year, and over a 100 in each year after.

Lookin at his numbers last year, he was a terror. He played in 15 games only, and if we remember, he wasnt really used in the first few like he could have been due to his suspension and all that.

He ended up having his biggest year yet.

He is coming into his peak years........
    IN PATON I TRUST.

22. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I dont know...I could be swayed to take a long look at Miles Austin

24. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I dont know...I could be swayed to take a long look at Miles Austin

Not consistent enough for me yet to give up a whole lot.

But that dude can run.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information