Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL's problem: Yards up, but scoring down

Default NFL's problem: Yards up, but scoring down

NFL's problem: Yards up, but scoring down
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 03/26/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

ORLANDO, Fla. — Pay attention to the flow, and disruptions, of a typical NFL game and it seems the league has unintentionally divided the field.

The action between the 20s is swift, furious, electrifying. With the league adopting rules that allow offensive linemen to grab and to prevent cornerbacks from touching, the terrain is easily navigated. A quick pass to the side, a slant along the hash marks, a handoff for balance sake, and zip, zap, cheer, the ball is inside the opponents' 20.

Once there, the field becomes so different, it has its own name: the red zone. It's here that the game often stutters and even stops. Bam, thud, boo, and here comes the kicker.

In 2009, the NFL set a record with 670.3 yards in total offense a game, up 2.4 percent from 2008. Yet, for the first time since 2005, scoring declined, by 1.13 points a game and 2.7 percent from the previous season.
    Welcome to the NFL's Miller Lite era — more yards, less scoring. The league, ever-mindful of enhancing the entertainment aspect of its game, has yet to find an answer for the red zone.

"There might be a day when they even eliminate the zone defense when you're down there," defensive-minded Carolina coach John Fox said. "I hope I'm not here for it. They did in the NBA."

Indeed, the NBA lane became so crowded with taller and wider bodies, the zone defense was disallowed for years. In the NFL, moving the ball up and down the field is easier than ever before. But for many clubs, those final 19 yards can seem like the difference between country and city.

"I think it pertains more to what's happening outside the red zone," said Mike Shanahan, the former Broncos and newly minted Washington Redskins head coach. "I think the red-zone defense has stayed pretty consistent. It's always been tough to score in the red zone.

"What's different is teams are finding different ways to move the ball between the 20s. They're a little bit more open, a little more spread out. People are not necessarily believing in the running game like they used to. It used to be a philosophy that if you didn't have a balanced attack, you couldn't make it to the playoffs."

In 2009, the teams that ranked second, third and fourth in rushing — Tennessee, Carolina and Miami — failed to reach the postseason, while the two worst rushing teams, Indianapolis and San Diego, combined for a 27-5 record.

This is not Jim Brown's NFL anymore. Passing is clearly the way teams are moving into scoring position. Completing passes to the end zone, however, is almost easier from outside the 20.

The ultimate between-the- 20s team was the 2008 Broncos, which not so coincidentally became the last of Shanahan's 14 seasons as Denver's head coach. That year, with Jay Cutler at quarterback, the Broncos ranked second in total offense but 16th in scoring.

It's the first time in history a team ranked in the top two in yards failed to rank in the top 15 in scoring. Not that the 2008 Broncos don't have plenty of company with their red-zone misery. That same year, the Houston Texans were third in yards and 17th in scoring.

"I think red-zone defense has reached a new level," said Texans coach Gary Kubiak, Shanahan's longtime offensive coordinator in Denver. "For me, as an offensive guy studying what people are doing in the red zone, defending the goal line, I think it's become excellent."

Specifically, Kubiak said, the red-zone innovations are in coverages. For the longest time, there were three types of red-zone defenses: defensive backs splitting into four zones; the two safeties playing zone and the cornerbacks playing man; and the all-out blitz.

"Now, some people will double and bracket receivers," Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "So there's probably four main concepts you'll see."

A red-zone defense has even been known to have its nose tackle, or at least a player lined up in the nose tackle position, dropping back into coverage. No wonder Cutler, as a young gunslinger, completes so many passes to the wrong- colored uniform in the red-zone area.

"The hot concept now in red-zone coverages is the combination of zone and man," Kansas City coach Todd Haley said. "That's always difficult."

Difficult for the quarterbacks to read?

"And receivers," Haley said. "And coaches."

The red zone, though, is only one half, so to speak, of the field. The other half is how offenses consistently cross into opponents' territory. In 2009, there were a whopping 38.5 yards more per game than in 2005.

That's three Drew Brees' first-down completions.

Lewis said the evolution of the game is easy to understand. All one has to do is watch the first 15 picks in the draft, then follow the money.

"The game is put together for quarterbacks, receivers, pass rushers and cornerbacks," Lewis said. "That's who we're paying. And so it's put together that way. And that's where the game's give-and-take lies. You're going to move the ball a little bit more, but maybe in the end, that's where the cornerback position can earn his money."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0jLXdFT4N

2. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eric Decker And D Thomas

This ain't the 80's man coverage is not there three plays in a row.

4. The Following User High Fived KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128 For This Post:

Not just us then.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Not just us then.
    Amazing don't you think?

8. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Guess that is why our red zone O has sucked for more than a decade.

Mike was ahead of the rest of the league.

A real innovating leader.

That explains it all.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Typical blame Shanahan for the ineptness of another coach.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Typical blame Shanahan for the ineptness of another coach.
    So just so we're clear, you're saying the last three seasons Shanahan had redzone woes and then McDaniels inherited that team and had the same problems the following year; you're saying all that is on McDaniels?
    I am Khan

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
    So just so we're clear, you're saying the last three seasons Shanahan had redzone woes and then McDaniels inherited that team and had the same problems the following year; you're saying all that is on McDaniels?
    Did he run his offense or Shanahan's offense?

Yep the typical excuses for the mastermind.

The fact is he had 15 years in denver to fix it. Yet in his final year he was the poster child for the biggest disparity in yards V scoring EVER.

Her had a "franchise" QB, OLT, WR and in some folks eyes TE, the best OLINE in football yet could not score.

E very year since I can remember his year end pressers. He said fixing the red zone issuses would be one of his priorities.

Face the facts that the ZBS light weight OLINES he had here were just to small to move the LOS inside the red zone.

That is what it boiled down to for all of those years. If we did not score from outside the 20 then we ga ve up 4 points every time by settling for a FG when we stalled in the redf zone.

14. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Here we go again typical hatred that is inept at actually answering the question. Whose offense was ran last season Shanahan's or McDaniel's?

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Wow... what a shocker. Seems some want to cry and cry about posters bashing on the current coach and QB, yet can't seem to highlight anything in every article that might throw a negative light on the former coach.

Sure wish we had that offense with Shanahan rather than the inept one we have now.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Actually, teams have become so piss poor at rush defense (Exhausting so many resources into stopping the pass) the next team that comes out with a truly dominate rushing attack...with just a competent passer is going to have a lot of success (wait... that may very well be the Jets if they stick to their guns.)

20. The Following User High Fived JDL For This Post:

Take your best shots the facts speak for themselves.

Mike set records all the while having all of the talent in the world, just failed to get it up in the endzone where it counts.

I have always wondered if he would be all that loved had he not have had a HOF FG kicker to save his bacon for all of those years.

Did Jason make mike or did mike make Jason for all of those years.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post

Mike set records all the while having all of the talent in the world, just failed to get it up in the endzone where it counts.

I have always wondered if he would be all that loved had he not have had a HOF FG kicker to save his bacon for all of those years.

It makes sense you're afraid to answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post

Read the thread title.

24. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information