Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Double Digits in Wins Possible this Season?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Question Are Double Digits in Wins Possible this Season?

Here is the lastest from Rasizer's report for The Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=263739

Broncos Team Report

Posted: August 28, 2007
    Lee Rasizer
    For Sporting News

REASONS FOR OPTIMISM: RB Travis Henry appears to be the powerful workhorse back the team has lacked the past few seasons. His vision and quick feet are valuable assets in a zone-blocking scheme that requires numerous cutbacks. He's someone coach Mike Shanahan can lean on in the fourth quarter. With CBs Champ Bailey and Dre' Bly, the Broncos will be able to play more man-to-man coverage and take chances up front, if desired, because they will act as a security blanket. Bailey's ability to play off the ball, read the quarterback and react is unparalleled, and Bly brings an aggressive mentality on the other side. WR Javon Walker is a full year removed from his recovery from knee surgery and figures to be even better with a year in the offense and the strong-armed Jay Cutler to get him the ball on deep routes. Brandon Marshall will line up opposite Walker and draw defenders away from him, and Henry is good enough to set up play-action passes.

REASONS FOR CONCERN: The loss of DE Ebenezer Ekuban (Achilles') for the season weakens a line with equal amounts of talent and question marks. DT Sam Adams is 34. DT Jimmy Kennedy struggled with the Rams. The rookie trio of DE Jarvis Moss, RE Tim Crowder and DT Marcus Thomas is woefully inexperienced. Cutler has worked on his footwork and decision making, but can he be a steady leader for a team with its sights set on the Super Bowl? The coverage and return units have been among the worst in the league for years. New special teams coordinator Scott O'Brien's knowledge of the league and schemes are solid, but getting results could take some time.

RASIZER'S BOTTOM LINE: The Broncos are at the top of the AFC's second tier, behind Indianapolis, New England and San Diego. They have plenty of talent, but with a new defensive system to employ, newcomers to work in and young players to develop in key spots, the team might not hit its stride for at least a few weeks. The frontloaded home schedule will help in that regard, but then it's a matter of avoiding the late-season fade that has been too common in the past few seasons. A 10- or 11-win season is a realistic expectation.

Lee Rasizer covers the Broncos for the Rocky Mountain News.

I think anything is possible, but I honestly believe that with all of the additions (I'd say we'll have around half of the team becoming new or full-time starters for the first time at their respective positions.) to the squad that the chemistry will be there right away from the get go. The team is going to experience a lot of growing pains, and I think that's something Broncos fans should expect.

I'd consider an 8-8 or a 9-7 season to be a success given all the new components added to this team, and the simple fact that we have a lot of players under twenty five years of age and less than three years of professional experience to hold significant roles on this team.

Of course it's possible, but unlikely in my eyes.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I think anything is possible, but I honestly believe that with all of the additions (I'd say we'll have around half of the team becoming new or full-time starters for the first time at their respective positions.) to the squad that the chemistry will be there right away from the get go. The team is going to experience a lot of growing pains, and I think that's something Broncos fans should expect.

I'd consider an 8-8 or a 9-7 season to be a success given all the new components added to this team, and the simple fact that we have a lot of players under twenty five years of age and less than three years of professional experience to hold significant roles on this team.

Of course it's possible, but unlikely in my eyes.

Ten wins seems attainable to me, and if we get beyond that this year its pure gravy.

I've picked them to win 11.

I think the learning curve will pick up dramatically for the newbies on the team once the season starts for real.

It might mean some struggles in the first few weeks, but with so many home games in the beginning of the season, I think we'll be able to cover things until everything jells.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Ten wins seems attainable to me, and if we get beyond that this year its pure gravy.
    I think it's attainable as well, and sorry for the typo in the prior message. I meant that the chemistry will not be there right away. I'm just not as optimistic as others, and where the preseason is no official indication of how well we're going to do in the regular season, I have my worries especially when we're unable to stop teams like the Cowboys and Browns who are considered to be in flux.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rod Smith

I think ten wins is possible but i dont see it happening. The defense isnt playing great and even though this is preseason you still have to see how the players are doing. The defense looks good on paper but will need to come together and play as good as they look when the season starts.

On the other side of the ball i see some problems too. I dont think the O-line is very questionable but can be very good with time. Cutler needs to learn how to hold onto the ball better as he had 8 fumbles in 5 games last year. So if this team can work togetherk,play as a team, and rally around each others success then then i see 10 wins. But i see them comming up short at 9-7.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

With a strong running game which I honestly believe Denver will have in Henry it's a very attainable goal.

Cutler hasn't had fumbling issues in the preseason except for this last game so I don't think that will be an issue.

With Bates as Asst Head Coach of the defense I think he will get everything in order.

I think we have got the kind of guys who have strong mentally. I think they can develope a playing relationship and understanding very quickly. My main worry is the defense, they will pick it up but they look very stale so far this pre-season. You may say it's only pre-season but I've seen some guys miss some easy tackles this pre-season and I don't think you can use the "pre-season" excuse there.

It's a matter of time, let's just hope it isn't too long down. I actually think we could start the regular season well but have a slump in the middle of the season. I think we will be really pumped up at the start of the regular season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Broncomania96 View Post
    I think ten wins is possible but i dont see it happening. The defense isnt playing great and even though this is preseason you still have to see how the players are doing. The defense looks good on paper but will need to come together and play as good as they look when the season starts.

On the other side of the ball i see some problems too. I dont think the O-line is very questionable but can be very good with time. Cutler needs to learn how to hold onto the ball better as he had 8 fumbles in 5 games last year. So if this team can work togetherk,play as a team, and rally around each others success then then i see 10 wins. But i see them comming up short at 9-7.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWookieeBronco View Post
    I think we have got the kind of guys who have strong mentally. I think they can develope a playing relationship and understanding very quickly. My main worry is the defense, they will pick it up but they look very stale so far this pre-season. You may say it's only pre-season but I've seen some guys miss some easy tackles this pre-season and I don't think you can use the "pre-season" excuse there.

It's a matter of time, let's just hope it isn't too long down. I actually think we could start the regular season well but have a slump in the middle of the season. I think we will be really pumped up at the start of the regular season.
    Yeah the defense is a concern, but I really do believe that Bates will get everything into working order.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Yeah the defense is a concern, but I really do believe that Bates will get everything into working order.
    I do aswell but I hope it doesn't happen too late.

I'll say for now I'm not optimistic about winning ten or more.

Unless there is a dramatic turnaround on D this is s 8-8 or less team.

Even with all of the potential firepower on O they will have to score 25+ pints game and keep the TOP in the mid 30's to stop the bleeding the DL is gonna cause.

But maybe they will fall into place and become a normal Bates defense. Perhaps with all the diddling around the consistency is not there I pray that is the reason for the other teams really poor offenses to almost move at will against them.

Those 3.5 (Dumervil .5) rookies are gonna have to grow up fast.

But with a DRAFT choice or two on the DL next year this team should be HOT.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    I'll say for now I'm not optimistic about winning ten or more.

Unless there is a dramatic turnaround on D this is s 8-8 or less team.

Even with all of the potential firepower on O they will have to score 25+ pints game and keep the TOP in the mid 30's to stop the bleeding the DL is gonna cause.

But maybe they will fall into place and become a normal Bates defense. Perhaps with all the diddling around the consistency is not there I pray that is the reason for the other teams really poor offenses to almost move at will against them.

Those 3.5 (Dumervil .5) rookies are gonna have to grow up fast.

But with a DRAFT choice or two on the DL next year this team should be HOT.
    I could see 8-8 being very possible, but I think we'll finish above .500.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I just spent about 20 minutes typing why i think we will be a double digit win team.

Then i realized it was'nt anything you all did'nt already know.

I think this team with the additions of players on both sides of the ball as well as Bates and O'Brien being added to the coaching staff we have a great chance at double digit wins.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'm hopeful that we can win 10 games this year. I think a lot of what was seen in the preseason was just our plain, base defense and offense. They didn't show any blitz packages, no special coverages, or any flashy plays on offense. It was just plain, vanilla game plans.

I think our defense is a lot better than what the preseason showed. I think DJ will do fine playing Mike. If Shanny trusts DJ to play, I trust Shanny's judgement.

I'm predicting 10-6 and a tie-breaker division win.

Adopted Bronco:
    #27 Steve Atwater

i ALWAYS have gone high on expectations for Denver. and every darn year i am wrong. so this year i am gonna play that with my aforementioned record at guessing and being wrong i am gonna say 6-10 in hopes that i am wrong yet again.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information